• ...and so much more!
  • turkeykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    lafayette
    I would say find a new meet locker.

Both that I have used have guaranteed me that the deer I take home is the deer I took in. I field dress ASAP and make good shots for good meet....I would be very unhappy if I walked away with meet a guy let sit in bile and not field dressed properly.

:+1: Good Advice!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Yes field dress it as soon as possiabe BUT when you take it to the meet locker and it weighs in say 100 pounds or whatever. when you go pick it up you get 100 pounds of meet ( the way you ordered it of course ) that dosent mean you get the same deer you took in.
    at least that is what he meet locker in my area told me

I wouldn't take mine ANY WHERE that won't guarantee me back the same meat I took in and I check how they handle it to be sure I do.

It's ridiculous to worrry over everything else and then take home meat you don't know how long it laid on the ground, was shot up, or drug through the swamp.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Definatly field dress asap. If you have it hanging you might as well skin and quarter it then too. It will save you quite a bit of money and only takes about another half hour or so. If you shot a deer that you plan on mounting make sure you don't cut past the rib cage down the middle. It's better to make a Y shaped cut and go up under the front legs, this makes it easier for your taxidermist to mount.

WinChoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Alexandria
    I recommend that you do not attempt this by yourself the first time. I learned from my Dad how to gut, pull out of the woods, and cut up (I've never paid anyone to process any of my kills).
    I use (same as another poster) an old Old Timer knife to field dress. It's sharp as a razor and I've used it for over 25 years. I also use it along with a hacksaw and manual sausage grinder to process the meat. I take the hide and salt the fat side and tack it up.

Tips..

Carry a length of rope to help pull the deer out of the woods. Pull the deer out head first. You'll understand why if you try to pull it out the other way. Rope will help minimize obstructions if you tie the front legs above and over it's head.

Have fun and happy hunting!

melduagun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2009
    get yourself a good knife and keep it razor sharp.Dont buy an off brand. Buy a buck, case, or some other name brand and make sure it has a gut hook which makes the work much easier. The best advice after the knife, find an old timer that is willing to go with you,. He can guide you through your first hunt. If you go by yourself,which you should'nt you will not be able to identify the heart and liver! Organs you will want to save. I've done this for 50 yrs> I don't hunt anymore but the wife started last year so I will do her work for her this yr. Good luck

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Carry a length of rope to help pull the deer out of the woods. Pull the deer out head first. You'll understand why if you try to pull it out the other way. Rope will help minimize obstructions if you tie the front legs above and over it's head.

For bowhunters, use the safety rope and your safety harness for dragging it out

savageayape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Martinsville
    This is your best bet for learning: ;)

----
    Venison Workshops
    A venison workshop sponsored by the Purdue Cooperative Extension Service will be held at the Hoosier Outdoor Experience on Sept. 26 at the Fort Harrison State Park in Indianapolis, free off charge, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. A deer will be skinned, butchered and prepared in a variety of ways for participants to taste.
    Other venison workshops are scheduled around the state at various locations during September. Call the number below for more information.
    ----
    More information:
    Jonathan Ferris, (765) 825-8502
    ----

Keith H

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Central, IN
    For bowhunters, use the safety rope and your safety harness for dragging it out

+1, or if you know someone with a big game cart, bribe them to borrow it. I drug two button bucks out of the woods on the same day last year with just a cheapo orange strapped deer drag harness. I was thankful that I had it, but man, there are easier ways.:twocents:

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    This is your best bet for learning: ;)

----
    Venison Workshops
    A venison workshop sponsored by the Purdue Cooperative Extension Service will be held at the Hoosier Outdoor Experience on Sept. 26 at the Fort Harrison State Park in Indianapolis, free off charge, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. A deer will be skinned, butchered and prepared in a variety of ways for participants to taste.
    Other venison workshops are scheduled around the state at various locations during September. Call the number below for more information.
    ----
    More information:
    Jonathan Ferris, (765) 825-8502
    ----

+++++++100!

I was not a new hunter when I sat through one of these and it was hands down the best 4 hours I've spent to learn anything about hunting. I learned valuable techniques as well as some great ways to cook venison that all my hunting buddies were dead wrong about. Definitely go take one of these classes!

Cam

Top Bottom