• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    An ffl friend of mine told me to get the 01 and 06 ffl that way you can build SBRs without having to pay a $200 stamp per rifle

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    An ffl friend of mine told me to get the 01 and 06 ffl that way you can build SBRs without having to pay a $200 stamp per rifle

Your friend was wrong and frankly, he should know better. You still have to pay a Special Occupation Tax if you're building SBR's with an FFL, and you have to be a for-profit business. The ATF does not grant FFL's for people to enhance their own collections. Well, they DO have a C&R license, but that's not at all what we're talking about.

yogi bear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Thanks for the information.I own a powdercoating buisness and a company i get powder markets cerakote to us. So this past fall i purchesed some and did some of my own guns.I was going to put this on our web site but after some research it seem to say i need a FFL .Thanks for the help john

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Running a gunsmithing business is a little different from running one that manufactures NFA items (like SBR's). You'll still need an FFL, but you can do it without the SOT.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the information.I own a powdercoating buisness and a company i get powder markets cerakote to us. So this past fall i purchesed some and did some of my own guns.I was going to put this on our web site but after some research it seem to say i need a FFL .Thanks for the help john

So is this an FFL01 or ....?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    ANY time you keep a gun overnight, without the owner present, for purposes of repair, you need an FFL. Gun being defined as the action. I used to do some occaisional barrel work before getting mine, and that was perfectly legal.
    Yes, I believe it's an 001. 003 is full auto, silencers, stuff like that. I have no idea what an002 is?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Type 1 Title 1 dealer or gunsmith other than destructive devices. Can also deal in Title II NFA firearms with class 3 tax stamp.

Type 2 Title 1 dealer doing business as a pawnbroker.

Type 3 Licensed collector of Curio & Relic (C&R) firearms.

Type 6 Licensed manufacturer of ammunition and reloading components other than ammunition for destructive devices and armor piercing ammunition.

Type 7 Title 1 manufacturer of firearms and ammunition, who may also act as dealer; may not manufacture or deal in destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, or armor piercing ammunition. Can also manufacture & deal in Title II NFA firearms with class 2 tax stamp.

Type 8 Importer of Title 1 firearms and ammunition. Can also import Title II NFA firearms with class 1 tax stamp.

Type 9 Dealer in firearms, including destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, and armor piercing ammunition. Requires payment as an SOT Class 1 (can act as an NFA Dealer). To deal/broker any DD with an explosives content (e.g. flash-bangs) requires an additional Federal Explosives License[1] as a Dealer of High Explosives.

Type 10 Manufacturer of firearms, ammunition and ammunition components, manufacturer of destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, and armor piercing ammunition; may also deal in all of the aforementioned items. Requires payment as an SOT Class 2 (can act as an NFA Dealer). To manufacture any DD with an explosives content (e.g. flash-bangs) requires an additional FEL[2] as a Type 20 Manufacturer of High Explosives.

Type 11 Importer of firearms, ammunition, destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, and armor piercing ammunition; may also deal in all the aforementioned items. Requires payment as an SOT Class 1. To import any DD with an explosives content (e.g. flash-bangs), requires an additional FEL[3] as an Importer of High Explosives.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ANY time you keep a gun overnight, without the owner present, for purposes of repair, you need an FFL. Gun being defined as the action. I used to do some occaisional barrel work before getting mine, and that was perfectly legal.
    Yes, I believe it's an 001. 003 is full auto, silencers, stuff like that. I have no idea what an002 is?

Huh? :dunno: What about a 007?

You state you "got yours"... what exactly did you get?

EDIT: Kudos to Scutter.

yogi bear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Scutter01 thanks. After calls to the ATF and the NFA you were spot on about the SOT also thanks to the rest who helped me.

Top Bottom