Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I shoulda put it in purple Jedi.

censor2.gif
    you Bill B! :faint:

Jedi only understands jokes in purple. He watches stand up comedy on TV and sits shocked that people would be so rude.

But "Barney"... so much purple he almost laughed himself to death one time. 3 nights in the ICU. :D

:laugh:
    :rofl:

tried to rep you for this, but i gotta spread the love first. thanks for the laugh.

don't worry I got him for you.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    $70 for UPS vs $? for FFL to send it USPS.

USPS Priority Mail is about $5.50-$17.50 for most handguns depending on the size of box needed...maybe off a few cents.

Had a guy a few weeks back that said he shipped a handgun to the west coast via UPS and he said it hit him for $97, I don't know about their rates as I don't use them.

Also I have been told by many people including the ATF that the Post Office is the safest as far as employee theft of shipped firearms too.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I have never shipped a firearm before & thus why my questions.

:dunno:

1) Why is it that an FFL can ship via USPS but a non-FFL can?

& yes I know because it's the law but what occured/history to get the law that way?
    Was it always like that?

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte

& yes I know because it's the law but what occured/history to get the law that way?
    Was it always like that?

I think the late 60's is when the law came about. :noway:

Maybe with the post office going broke they should drop it and get some more business.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

Was it always like that?

What really sucks more than not being able to use USPS is that UPS and FedEx require handguns to be shipped overnight. It'd be much better if you could use Ground shipping, like you can with long guns. I'd rather pay a few dollars more and have UPS and FedEx's superior (by a LONG shot) tracking, but paying $50+ to ship a handgun is ridiculous. Plus you have to go to a shipping hub to drop it off (sometimes pretty far away).

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I was told by a out of state, nationally known gunsmith, to never ship him a handgun. He asked that I remove the hammer spring and ship it in a separate envelope from the remaining miscellaneous machined parts.

That is what I have been told..I have never done it .

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I was told by a out of state, nationally known gunsmith, to never ship him a handgun. He asked that I remove the hammer spring and ship it in a separate envelope from the remaining miscellaneous machined parts.

That is what I have been told..I have never done it .

He's probably referring to this...

432 Mailability

432.1 General

The following conditions apply:
    Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as “handguns”) are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.
    The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weaponare nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.

Kind of a tricky situation... Don't think you'd win any insurance claims though.

Top Bottom