Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    Sorry,
    You are close,Protest
    FFDO
    Federal Flight Deck Officer

Its the program that allows pilots to be armed in the cockpit once the door is closed and secured. Probably the world's smallest jurisdiction.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    Federal Flight Deck Officer

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Federal Flight Deck Officer (FFDO) program is run by the Federal Air Marshal Service with the aim of allowing select pilots of commercial airline flights to carry firearms.
    Following the September 11 attacks in 2001, the Arming Pilots Against Terrorism Act, part of the Homeland Security Act of 2002 directed the Transportation Security Administration to develop the Federal Flight Deck Officer program as an additional layer of security.[1] Under this program, eligible flight crew members are deputized as a Federal Law Enforcement Officer authorized by the Transportation Security Administration to use firearms to defend against an act of criminal violence or air piracy attempting to gain control of an aircraft. A flight crew member may be a pilot, flight engineer or navigator assigned to the flight.
    In December 2003, President George W. Bush signed into law legislation that expanded program eligibility to include cargo pilots and certain other flight crew.
    Federal Flight Deck Officers are trained on the use of firearms, use of force, legal issues, defensive tactics, the psychology of survival and program standard operating procedures. Flight crew members participating in the program are not eligible for compensation from the Federal Government for services provided as a Federal Flight Deck Officer.[2]
    The TSA is accused of having a "deep, institutional opposition to the FFDO program" by the Airline Pilots Security Alliance.[3]
    Incidents

On March 24, 2008, a US Airways pilot's gun accidentally went off on Flight 1536 from Denver to Charlotte, North Carolina. The pilot was a Federal Flight Deck Officer and was authorized to carry the weapon by the US Transportation Security Administration. No one was injured and the aircraft landed safely.[4] According to the pilot, the gun fired while he was trying to stow it. The bullet went through the floor of the cockpit and tore a small hole in the exterior of the plane. The plane was pulled from service for repairs.[5]
    It was later determined that the pilot was at fault due to not properly following TSA Standard Operating Procedures. He was removed from the program and he lost his job at US Airways.
    The pilot took his termination to arbitration, backed by his union, the US Airways Pilots Association. After an 18-month disciplinary suspension, the pilot was ordered to be reinstated by US Airways. The airline said as part of the federal arbitrator's decision to reinstate, the pilot will be barred from carrying a gun in the cockpit. The pilot's case was strengthened when the Department of Homeland Security faulted the design of holsters used by pilots who carry their weapons on board planes. The department's inspector general said the design increased the chance of accidental discharge when pilots inserted their guns in the holsters.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    What kind of holster is that in your avatar. Have you ever thought about getting a De santis style 31L holster for it?

It's the Crossbread Supertuck Deluxe. My first holster and I do like it. The USPc is not exactly as concealable as others. (Have my eye on the P2000sk). But I feel comfortable with it enough. Thanks for the suggestion on the De Santis Holster. I'll go check it out now.

edit to add: I went and looked at that holster from DeSantis 31L. Ewwwwwww. Screams dangerous to me. An open hole through the trigger guard? Anything could get in there and pull the trigger. What if you brushed up against a coat hanger and it got in front of the trigger?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    It's the Crossbread Supertuck Deluxe. My first holster and I do like it. The USPc is not exactly as concealable as others. (Have my eye on the P2000sk). But I feel comfortable with it enough. Thanks for the suggestion on the De Santis Holster. I'll go check it out now.

I thought it was a crossbreed. Wasn't sure though because all of mine are brown leather not black.

De Santis model 31L. Commerce Storefront B2C
    31LLOCK.jpg

Top Bottom