• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    CORRECTION: I just found out, from the coach who removed the blade from Dillon, that it was NOT the tip of the Saber that went into his chest, it was the main shaft of the blade. The top 4" of blade did, in fact fly away, the remaining 27 or 28 inches of blade is what partially penetrated Dillon.

This makes much more sense.

I'd also like to point out that I still firmly believe that Saber fencing is a very safe sport. Our school's team is shifting over to FIE rated plastrons, which offer even greater resistance to puncture wounds. We are doing so to be extra-extra safe.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I have done a little fencing at IUPUI as well as a club on the east side. I have had a handful of sabers break in my hands, but always at the hilt. Fencing is a fairly safe sport, but it goes to show there is risk in everything.
    I had my one and only saber break on me in college. It cracked on a long diagonal across the wider face of the blade, leaving me with basically a 10" kabob skewer. It was entirely my fault, born of poor wrist discipline (caught my opponents blade on the weak face of my own), and fortunately I was blocking at the time so my opponent was never at risk.

Glad to hear Dillon survived his freak accident with nothing more than a few scars.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Glad the kid is OK!!

And he now has a life-long story to tell people.

"Dude, that's nothing. I've been run through by a sword!"

-J-

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Glad Dillion is okay. I also know absolutely nothing about fencing. Well, I guess I know a little now. Sounds fun. I had no idea that it involved electirc suits and scoring.

Top Bottom