• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I don't think this question applies just to women. I believe that anyone shooting for the first time should start with .22, and only move up after they have mastered the basics (grip, stance, aiming, follow-through, etc.) There is so much to learn. Worrying about recoil only hampers the learning process.

I also "double-plug" (foam plugs + cans) new people on the range. Anything I can do to make it less stressful improves the learning process.

:+1: Great advice

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Just get her off this stupid idea of micro sized guns. It never ceases to amaze me the ignorant people who recommend women gets tiny sized guns. Any full size gun in 9mm or any full size revolver with a standard 38 Special load should be fine. If you are in NWI them PM me and she's welcome to try any of my stuff to find what she may like.

I've taken several females to the range for their first shooting experience. I always take a wide variety of gun size's and calibers for them to try.
    What has this taught me? You nor I can predict what they might like at all. One lady in particular was virtually terrified of being at the range and the thought of shooting. After a few trips to the range and her calming down, she decided on the Ruger LCP as her gun of choice. And she is a deadeye shot with it to this day 2 years later.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The real answer is to get some training and practice and get over being recoil shy.

If we're looking at a house gun, why a handgun at all? Handguns are generally more expensive, harder to learn to use correctly, easier to shove off target under stress, and do less damage to the recipient than a 20g shotgun.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I agree with good hearing protection to decrease flinching. My wife doesn't want to go to indoor ranges anymore, but is okay with outdoor.

Even though 30 plus years in heavy industry and other stresses have left me slightly hard of hearing, I wear both good ear plugs AND good ear muffs when I shoot indoors. I feel it helps me concentrate on trigger control while other shooters are in the lanes next to me.

Top Bottom