• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    You are going too far too fast for a first time group of strangers and you will get a smaller turn out.

It is an Indiana forum so by definition a spot in Indiana is closer to more people. Choose a spot that allows easy camping, more will turn out. Avoid State parks, a lot of these guys will have guns no matter what rules you lay down.

The location I gave you allows you to do all the things you listed. An easy base camp for Friday arrivals and those who can only come one day/one night on Saturday. some guys will drop by only for the day on Saturday etc.... Multiple camp sights so grab as many as you need, the place will be empty. Trails that run right by the location OR you can drive south to to other locations, park and head out for a day or two of primitive in HNF. Don't turn it into a big dump your mags shoot or let it go that way.

Doing the above, you will end up splitting the group after day one, but if you only do what you are saying, you will reduce turnout by 75% anyway. I would never show up for what you propose with a group of strangers for many, many reasons. Guns or no guns, alcohol or no alcohol, hiking or not, primitive camping or not.

Last thing I want to do is show up to an event with alcohol, trigger packs and Federal CI's. It happens

There are reasons why I have not publicly hosted another event since 2003, but I have friendships and many get togethers that formed from the ones I did host a decade ago.

If you build in some meet and greet time, groups of like minded and skilled people will form up sub-groups and friendships from the first event. There will be more after that but they will be private, you will never seem on a public thread. No need for that. If you already know 30 who would possibly show up, you have no reason to do this anyway.

If you go commando in winter with strangers, you may just end up hauling someones ass out of the woods to the ER and the fun is over. All it takes is one .223 round and a 1lb propane canister. Alcohol and an axe. Drugs and fire. Combine them all and it gets even bigger faster.

Just some thoughts for you.

Well said.. I agree, keep it in Indiana, smaller group(s), might try one and see what shakes out. Booze is a personal choice to me but if I am somewhere and someone gets stupid, I leave before it gets to be a problem. The CI comment is more real than most imagine.. To me a group of 5 or 6 would be better than a group of say 20.

Just my pennies..

TJ

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    The National Forest does have a "group camp" area near the Jackson/Brown county line behind Sundance Lake off of highway 135. It is a several acre clearing that is in some bottoms behind a locked gate. Fill out a simple special use permit and you should be good to go. The gate can be unlocked and participants can drive down there. Very secluded. It is the site that the native american "sundance" folks use.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    The National Forest does have a "group camp" area near the Jackson/Brown county line behind Sundance Lake off of highway 135. It is a several acre clearing that is in some bottoms behind a locked gate. Fill out a simple special use permit and you should be good to go. The gate can be unlocked and participants can drive down there. Very secluded. It is the site that the native american "sundance" folks use.

That sounds just about perfect.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    You are going too far too fast for a first time group of strangers and you will get a smaller turn out.

It is an Indiana forum so by definition a spot in Indiana is closer to more people. Choose a spot that allows easy camping, more will turn out. Avoid State parks, a lot of these guys will have guns no matter what rules you lay down.

The location I gave you allows you to do all the things you listed. An easy base camp for Friday arrivals and those who can only come one day/one night on Saturday. some guys will drop by only for the day on Saturday etc.... Multiple camp sights so grab as many as you need, the place will be empty. Trails that run right by the location OR you can drive south to to other locations, park and head out for a day or two of primitive in HNF. Don't turn it into a big dump your mags shoot or let it go that way.

Doing the above, you will end up splitting the group after day one, but if you only do what you are saying, you will reduce turnout by 75% anyway. I would never show up for what you propose with a group of strangers for many, many reasons. Guns or no guns, alcohol or no alcohol, hiking or not, primitive camping or not.

Last thing I want to do is show up to an event with alcohol, trigger packs and Federal CI's. It happens

There are reasons why I have not publicly hosted another event since 2003, but I have friendships and many get togethers that formed from the ones I did host a decade ago.

If you build in some meet and greet time, groups of like minded and skilled people will form up sub-groups and friendships from the first event. There will be more after that but they will be private, you will never seem on a public thread. No need for that. If you already know 30 who would possibly show up, you have no reason to do this anyway.

If you go commando in winter with strangers, you may just end up hauling someones ass out of the woods to the ER and the fun is over. All it takes is one .223 round and a 1lb propane canister. Alcohol and an axe. Drugs and fire. Combine them all and it gets even bigger faster.

Just some thoughts for you.

I must have missed the part where the op said we would be drinking moonshine and smoking crack around the campfire, while shooting propane bottles with illegal AR's! (oh yeah, I almost forgot, the ax throwing competition after we're good and drunk!):n00b:

Seriously though, who cares, and why would there be a "Federal CI" there?:dunno:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I must have missed the part where the op said we would be drinking moonshine and smoking crack around the campfire, while shooting propane bottles with illegal AR's! (oh yeah, I almost forgot, the ax throwing competition after we're good and drunk!):n00b:

Seriously though, who cares, and why would there be a "Federal CI" there?:dunno:
    This coming from a guy who has never hosted a Web based Survival Forum get together. Probably never did one for your work either. Probably never had to carry or drag anyone out of the backwoods in winter either.

Internet talk is cheap, real cheap.

If you gotta ask, then you don't know.

What I gave was real and good advice. Take it serious or don't. My post is geared towards the OP who is de facto shouldering most of the risk and responsibility. I was also pretty clear about the fact I would not be there, but that is true even if I lived just 5 miles from the gathering spot.

You either keep it small to a group of people on a similar skill level, and that is not what you are seeing posted in this thread, or you go big, keep it sane and safe and use it to build future outings from there.

Odds are not one person posting in this thread has ever met FTF with a single person posting in it.

These are things to consider when you become "The Organizer"

Ridgeman4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Middletown
    I might be interested. Not sure if I could get the wife on board to join a group of strangers on a camping trip. However, I doubt that I would have any challenge getting my boys excited.

Of course, timing will be part of the decision.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You know what, you did say "seriously" so I apologize for sounding like your Dad or something. Actually, no I don't, I am probably old enough to be your Dad and I would have cracked harder on my own kid.

But seriously, maybe some time I will post about this one time there was a Possible CI, propane bottle and a lot of other crap all at the same place at the same time.

The important thing is, the right guy got hurt (by his own doing), many life long friendships were made and no one had any major medical bills. HAD I or the other guy nearby at the time, known as TequilaBob, been hurt the one still standing would have killed the guy responsible.

Also, it is funny as hell to see a 300lb biker guy jump like he is Superman flying through the air. That is, until you realize why he is doing it.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    If it was me I would have a meet and great prior to spending the weekend with a bunch of strangers. Maybe lay out expectations and ground rules so everyone is on the same page. I have meet a lot of great people from INGO. I have also meet a few that I couldn't get away from fast enough. Might sound rude but it would make for a long weekend if your surrounded by a bunch of goofs.

recon33alpha

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Mooresville
    You could do multiple groups of 5-6ppl, then conduct a round Robbin to different stations with different topics. Have a group leaders and topic instructors.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    If it was me I would have a meet and great prior to spending the weekend with a bunch of strangers. Maybe lay out expectations and ground rules so everyone is on the same page. I have meet a lot of great people from INGO. I have also meet a few that I couldn't get away from fast enough. Might sound rude but it would make for a long weekend if your surrounded by a bunch of goofs.

Excellent idea.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    This coming from a guy who has never hosted a Web based Survival Forum get together. Probably never did one for your work either. Probably never had to carry or drag anyone out of the backwoods in winter either.

Internet talk is cheap, real cheap.

If you gotta ask, then you don't know. [/B
    What I gave was real and good advice. Take it serious or don't. My post is geared towards the OP who is de facto shouldering most of the risk and responsibility. I was also pretty clear about the fact I would not be there, but that is true even if I lived just 5 miles from the gathering spot.

You either keep it small to a group of people on a similar skill level, and that is not what you are seeing posted in this thread, or you go big, keep it sane and safe and use it to build future outings from there.

Odds are not one person posting in this thread has ever met FTF with a single person posting in it.

These are things to consider when you become "The Organizer"

First off, are you the "Federal CI?" You act as though you know me and/or my Internet usage. I challenge you to tell me what kind of experience I have as far as survival goes!
    What "Internet talk" of mine is "cheap"? And what the heck does that mean anyway?
    Second, what kind of risk is the op taking by getting a few guys together for a weekend camp out? We are all (well, mostly) consent aged, adults here, and if we choose to get together for a camp out, or to go shooting, or motorcycle riding, or skydiving, or whatever.... The responsibility is on each of us to take care of ourselves!
    Yes, you were clear, you won't be there, ok....SO!?:dunno:

Lastly, as if it matters, several of us HAVE met one another! We all have a few things in common, hence the interest!
    MANY of us have gotten together on several occasions to shoot, eat out, etc. and there are several here that are good friends.
    As a matter of fact, just this last fall, I (along with about 40 other members) was invited to one of the moderators property to, wait for it..........
    SHOOT MACHINE GUNS!!!:eek:, short barreled rifles, suppressed guns, and DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES!!! I hadn't met any of these people before that day and guess what? No one was hurt! And even if someone would have been, we wouldn't have held the property owner or the organizers, or INGO responsible!

I understand your concern for safety (despite the fact that you are above the rest of us, and wouldn't hang out with us "even if (you) lived just 5 miles from the gathering spot"! And I do appreciate your concern for our safety, but we ARE big boys and girls, and we can take care of ourselves (and each other, if need be!)!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    You know what, you did say "seriously" so I apologize for sounding like your Dad or something. Actually, no I don't, I am probably old enough to be your Dad and I would have cracked harder on my own kid.

But seriously, maybe some time I will post about this one time there was a Possible CI, propane bottle and a lot of other crap all at the same place at the same time.

The important thing is, the right guy got hurt (by his own doing), many life long friendships were made and no one had any major medical bills. HAD I or the other guy nearby at the time, known as TequilaBob, been hurt the one still standing would have killed the guy responsible.

Also, it is funny as hell to see a 300lb biker guy jump like he is Superman flying through the air. That is, until you realize why he is doing it.

Ok,so your telling us to do as you say, not as you do?:dunno:
    Tell us your band camp stories. I'm sure they are real interesting!

So, you went on a fun outing with a bunch of guys, made some "lifetime friendships", no one, except an idiot, got hurt, but you don't want US to have the same opportunity!?:n00b: I don't get it!
    Thanks DAD!:laugh:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Sounds like a bad idea to me! Its already off to a bad start.

I'm starting to wonder the same... There are so many people interested in coming than I could not possibly hope to get this all organized on my own...

I was thinking 10, 12, maybe 18 people... If we are going to try this, I will need some help organizing this, and assuring it stays that way.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I can help. There really wouldn't be much to it. Put up a poll for possible dates, and locations. Narrow it down to two or three weekends, and two or three locations and have a vote.
    If you're worried about to many people showing up (I really don't think it would get too big), then set a limit (may have to anyway, depending on location).
    Decide whether you want to do pitch in meals or everybody for themselves.
    Everyone is responsible for their own Equiptment, but we can always list extra gear if some people need something.
    Set some basic rules/guidelines. Have fun!

Top Bottom