• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Just getting a feel for the intrest in a group of INGOers getting together for a trial run of BOB's or 3 day packs, or just general outdoor skills by spending a weekend or more in the back woods, either in Indiana or Kentucky trying their gear and tactics and swapping tips and skills with each other in a real world setting.

I am thinking Hoosier National Forest or Red River Gourge Kentucky, I know an excellent spot down there.

This would be open to all skill levels and both states are firearms friendly (just remeber it's the woods, don't bring your $1500 1911 or $2000 AR.)

Anyone interested in trying this?

Location and date would be determined by vote later if there is enough interest.

SEE PAGE 2....

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I am too far away but about 10 years ago I hosted an event like this, people from about 7 States came, the farthest being South Dakota and Eastern TN.

I had it at German Ridge campground in HNF. It is a camp ground for people with horses. Because of that the sites are huge, lots of room for large trucks with horse trailers and of course horses. You do not have to have horses to use it.

This gives you a great base camp for car camping, meet and greet, cooking. Then from there people can walk off, drive off to other locations or just stay there.

You can also shoot in the HNF. If I told you were we shot I am sure you would still find thousands of spent brass.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    No limits at the Kentucky spot that I know of, we had almost 30 both time I camped there.

What I am hoping to find if we don't go to Kentucky... is a gun carry friendly forest with few other people around and where we can walk to a spot of our choosing and camp in what ever manner we choose.

The Kentucky spot is all of those. Is there a place to camp "freestyle" in Indiana?

It could even be an INGOer's private property.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    The Kentucky spot... 4 hours south west of Indy...

Parking Permit required... $5 for 3 days or $30 for Annual - ROOM FOR ~12 VEHICLES - Carpool may be required based on turn-out

National Park, firearm carry OK. (KY state law still applies)

The rules....
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5270137.pdf

FIREARMS OK, BOOZE, NO!

Info...
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/dbnf/recreation/recarea/?recid=39460

Location....
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Glad...nton,+Powell,+Kentucky+40380&t=h&z=15&vpsrc=0

Campsite parking is 1/4 mile north of learning center, campsite is 1/2 mile North-North East of parking lot, along river bank.

ATTENTION: This area is remote... it's a 20 minute hike back to a vehicle and another 45 min drive to medical facilities. You WILL be relieving yourselves and disposing of the waste in the woods... Some of the trails are dangerous if you are not surefooted, but no one will force you to go hiking.

ROUGH map.
    campx.jpg

Scenery...
    Gladie+Creek+_amp_+Red+River+16.jpg

Our Parking lot is on the other side of bridge...
    _DSC3879-copy.jpg

I open the floor for other suggestions...

Last edited:

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Sounds like a good time to me. I dont have much gear but would like to learn, with what I have, and have a great time outdoors. Im in!

Top Bottom