• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Feds push for tracking cell phones | Politics and Law - CNET News

In that case, the Obama administration has argued that warrantless tracking is permitted because Americans enjoy no "reasonable expectation of privacy" in their--or at least their cell phones'--whereabouts. U.S. Department of Justice lawyers say that "a customer's Fourth Amendment rights are not violated when the phone company reveals to the government its own records" that show where a mobile device placed and received calls.

Those claims have alarmed the ACLU and other civil liberties groups, which have opposed the Justice Department's request and plan to tell the U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia that Americans' privacy deserves more protection and judicial oversight than what the administration has proposed.

"This is a critical question for privacy in the 21st century," says Kevin Bankston, an attorney at the Electronic Frontier Foundation who will be arguing on Friday. "If the courts do side with the government, that means that everywhere we go, in the real world and online, will be an open book to the government unprotected by the Fourth Amendment."

Not long ago, the concept of tracking cell phones would have been the stuff of spy movies. In 1998's "Enemy of the State," Gene Hackman warned that the National Security Agency has "been in bed with the entire telecommunications industry since the '40s--they've infected everything." After a decade of appearances in "24" and "Live Free or Die Hard," location-tracking has become such a trope that it was satirized in a scene with Seth Rogen from "Pineapple Express" (2008).
    Nothing really new here to someone that has been watching this evolve.

One difference from the past, it was always stated that a person using a telephone had a reasonable expectation of privacy. Now, the .gov is saying that isn't so.

I don't blame "O" in particular. IMO, this has been sloping downhill for a long time.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    big-brother-is-watching-you4.jpg

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    In that case, the Obama administration has argued that warrantless tracking is permitted because Americans enjoy no "reasonable expectation of privacy" in their--or at least their cell phones'--whereabouts.
    Tell that to the FCC. They banned reception of cell phone frequencies by police scanners because they said the users had "reasonable expectation of privacy".

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Ya do realize that the tech to "eavesdrop" via your phone (AKA the mic being turned on so someone can hear you EVEN if the phone is OFF) has always been there.

[NOTE] The only way for the phone not to work as a MIC is if you take the battery out. Turning off the phone, the phone is still on.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    You can turn the phone off, take out the battery, get rid of the cell phone, and go back to using pay phones, the government can still track you, how about when you place the call from the pay phone, they know EXACTLY where that phone is located. Next time you use your phone, you are registered on a cell tower, and they know where you are. If they want to find you, they can...

INGunGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    The .gov can only track you on the pre-paid cell for the length of time that you use that phone. If you buy one, make a call, then trash the phone - if the .gov knows what number you called from then they can locate you to within about 150 yds., but would lose your location after that because you dumped the phone.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009

I like the idea! Do they make bigger ones, that I could fit my head into for safe transportation?
    :D

phoneopenandclosed.jpg

That's just a Faraday cage.
    Wrap some aluminum foil around your phone, will achieve the same effect.

But as soon as you place a call, they will know.

They've been able to do this for ages.

Slowly but surely, the wheels of our society are rolling to the concentration camp days of old...

When will be too much?

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    What's the big deal, they know where I live by my tax forms. They know where I work by my tax forms. I'm usually at one or the other, or in between. Go ahead and track me, I'm pretty predictable.

If I wanted to be unpredictable, wouldn't you think I'd know to ditch the cell phone.:D

Top Bottom