• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    OK- what I am going to say doesn't mean I personally endorse the practice. I am talking constitutionality.

License plate readers deployed on public roads and in places held open to the public are not unconstitutional. I'm sure there is worry (rightfully so) about a private company and how is the 4th Amendment affect- short answer, for the purposes of any information sent to police, it is an agent of the government and the 4th Amendment applies to them.

However, out on public roads and, generally- public places, there is no 4th Amendment protection for things openly visible to the public. This includes license plates, appearance of vehicles, even things that can be seen in a vehicle to the extent it could be seen if you were there.

Now, in my case (and a lot of people)- my driveway is 100 yards long (almost exactly). A FedEx truck that delivers to me (fairly often) drives all the way to my house, well onto my property and into the curtilage. I believe that gathering information in this case (without a warrant) would probably be unconstitutional. To get to my 100 yard driveway, the FedEx guy has to drive 200+ yards down a private road owned in common with my neighbors. I haven't done the research, but even that seems questionable.

So, the unconstitutionality of using a license plate reader or camera and sending information while on my property and sending it to the popo is pretty clear- are we just supposed to trust that the info. isn't being sent? Maybe they have great internal controls and compliance people...good for them. As Steve mentioned, there are not laws in place that allow those controls to be audited.

VostocK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    I have noticed those solar powered roadside plate readers going up everywhere. There are so common that you hardly even take notice of them anymore.

If I owned Flock Safety and I was completely uninterested in the privacy concerns of the citizenry, I would hire a lobbying firm (maybe Holland and Knight LLP for example) to begin work on getting a new law passed which requires every new car with a factory installed dash cam (or back up cam) sold in the U.S must be connected to the Flock System (or a government system built and maintained by Flock) so it can constantly operate as a mobile plate reader (in the interest of public safety of course). I would claim it would help with stuff like human trafficking, help locate suspect vehicles from Amber Alerts and Silver Alerts and such so that its an easier sell. Most of the hardware is already in many new cars now so all you would need to do would be tweak the firmware a little bit, maybe tweak the hardware slightly and use the cars existing built in network connection so the added cost would be minimal aside from the increase of mobile data.

In addition to providing that data to law enforcement, Flock could also copy all that new data and connect it with the personal identities of the drivers ( simple to do in a state like Indiana where the BMV makes tens of millions of dollars a year selling YOUR personal information to private companies). Then those data sets could be sold to other private companies like big tech marketing firms, insurance companies etc. It could be a gold mine. I'm sure the guys who own Flock are a lot smarter than me, so I wonder how long it will be until they try something along those lines. Clearly the technology is here, the demand is here, so the only thing that is left is the financial motivation to put those pieces together. But who would want a license to print money like that ? Nobody right ? I'm sure it will all be fine. :tinfoil:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Yet another reason to withhold my business from companies who only ship via Fedex whenever possible. I'll pay more to avoid them, especially if it's something of any value.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I’ve noticed every Lowe’s has Flock at all entrances. I’m sure it helps with theft, but it’s probably valuable to them to know every time you come to their store.
    Ya know, I thought I spotted one of those at the Bedford Lowes the last time I was there.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So using big businesses to collect the data allows big bro to BUY data which otherwise they can't collect themselves, legally anyway, because of those pesky things called laws. Nice work around. I can see this technique being applied even more in the future. Obviously they have too much of our money to play with.
    The horse that got out of the barn has been gone so long it is dead of natural causes. I was raising the alarm 30+ years ago the the feds were buying the peoples data, (well not data because we didn’t call it that back then, it was so long ago) from the credit reporting companies. Barely got a shrug from people. The people in general do not value any privacy.

Google reads every email you type, even if you do not send and delete it, and most of the country has gmail accounts. We here are a small subset of the people that even care enough to discuss this. It is a sad state of affairs…

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Google reads every email you type, even if you do not send and delete it, and most of the country has gmail accounts. We here are a small subset of the people that even care enough to discuss this. It is a sad state of affairs…
    Once you sign an agreement, you have to comply with all the terms. They own the IP .

Reminds me of HOAs.

logguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Goshen
    Inch by inch, soon all our "freedoms" will be controlled.

I already avoid Fedex, as they want to copy my drivers license to deliver ammo. It's none of their business what I am buying from a private company

Top Bottom