Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    We plan to do it monthly. So there will be one in April as well but we are not going to register for it until the Feb one is over. April 17th aslo at ACC.

This SDS series of events is mostly live fire. No classroom session at all. It will differ for the most part from month to month. Each month we plan to end with shooting a pepper popper as many times as possible before it hits the ground. Rapid, sighted fire. We also plan to shoot targets that require a visual start. Today we shot at a drop turner that was activated by a rope pulled by an instructor. You had to see and recognize the threat and get a well aimed shot or two off in a short time. We plan to end the day with these drills or a variation of these drills so that regular attenders can test their abilities and note progress from month to month.

We will work other live fire drills that will change from month to month. There is no timer, and we are not keeping score but there is plenty of feedback as to what is being done right and what is not.

Use of cover and concealment, shooting on the move, malfunction reductions, movement are the types of topics that will be coming up in the months ahead. These seminar are not a replacement for practice, but they are demonstrations of what to practice and how to practice.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Coach has covered most of it. For yesterday's session, I advised people to bring at least 250-300 rounds (or more) just in case. You can't have too much ammo unless you're trying to swim and if you run out, you won't like it. The worst case scenario is that you take some home. Hopefully some of the students from the 23JAN10 seminare will chime-in and give us an estimate of how many rounds they fired. Another thing that I can stress enough is that your life will be better no matter what class (or from whom) you attend if you bring as many magazines as you can get. The less time you have to spend reloading magazines, the more time you can spend learning. We usually say 3 mags is the minimum, but most people will have a much better day if they bring more.

It's not really possible to say exactly how much ammo you will need. In addition the drills changing each time, this will also be affected by decisions you make. Because no one knows how many rounds you'll need to fire in any given defensive situation in real life, I try allow students choices on most drills. Those choices will be affected by mnay factors, including how many rounds their gun holds. For example, on most drills to today, I said "two to five rounds" per iteration. Ideally students will choose to mix it up a little so they don't get into a habit of firing the same number of rounds each time and then waiting for something to happen.

In terms of skills we'll address, it will change each month. This will also be affected by the skills the students bring to class. Yesterday we had people of all skill levels involved. Some had never drawn from the holster during live fire before, so we spent some time working on the draw/presentation. That may be necessary for each time, but we may split the group for any special needs if we have enough instructors.

The number of students we can accommodate will depend on the venue. At AtlantaCC, we'll probably be able to handle 16 people at the most, doing two relays of 8 on the line at a time. For some drills, we'll go one at a time, so any more people than that it's not a good use of time for the people waiting for their turns.

Yes, a holster is needed. That holster needs to cover the trigger guard, allow for reholstering with on hand, and should retain the gun adequately during moderate activity. If you don't have a holster and want some advice, send email to me and I'll try to help you.

Keep in mind that we also have a whole series of classes from our basic pistol to intermediate pistol to our defensive and competition-based classes. The seminars are a complement to those and are not intended to nor can they replace them or the equivalent from some other source.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    OK, put me down for this one too.
    I was waffling because of the farther drive, but I know I'll probably go.

As far as how many rounds, I'm not sure how many I used Saturday. Maybe 150. Possibly more, but I'd say around 150.

As far as what equipment, what holster, etc- I'm only a student so my answer is of no value compared to what Coach and Rhino say, but I have a simple answer:
    Bring what you carry.
    If you don't carry yet, bring what you plan to carry.
    Naturally, if you plan to do something unsuitable like carry your pistol on a string through the trigger guard, it won't go over very well, but otherwise- use what you would carry.
    I know that might sound obvious, but judging from some classes I've had where I see one or two carry holsters out of 12+ students and hear comments like "Well, what I usually carry is..." I'm guessing it isn't.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    OK, put me down for this one too.
    I was waffling because of the farther drive, but I know I'll probably go.

As far as how many rounds, I'm not sure how many I used Saturday. Maybe 150. Possibly more, but I'd say around 150.

As far as what equipment, what holster, etc- I'm only a student so my answer is of no value compared to what Coach and Rhino say, but I have a simple answer:
    Bring what you carry.
    If you don't carry yet, bring what you plan to carry.
    Naturally, if you plan to do something unsuitable like carry your pistol on a string through the trigger guard, it won't go over very well, but otherwise- use what you would carry.
    I know that might sound obvious, but judging from some classes I've had where I see one or two carry holsters out of 12+ students and hear comments like "Well, what I usually carry is..." I'm guessing it isn't.

You are down.
    I concur on everything you said above about equipment. If your carry gear turns out to not work well for this seminar... guess what?

We scheduled the next few closer to Indy that is why we are going to do them at ACC, which is a fine facility. I am thinking we will be back in good ole Putnam County at least part time. If there is demand we can add Putnam County dates.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I just got a call that brought Feb to 1/4 full and we are still a long way out. My point is waiting to the last minute might mean this is already full. Contact me if you want on the list.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We still have some room in the 20 FEB 2010 Self Defense Seminar at AtlantaCC.

At this time, I intend to focus the drills on movement, shooting while moving, and using cover. Those who know me can probably guess we'll combine those into a drill toward the end of the session. We'll end with the same two "tests" as last time, shooting the drop turner and shooting a popper to the ground.

In the event we have some participants who are not ready for these drills or are not comfortable doing them, we'll probably split into two groups and let them focus on more appropriate material and regroup later.

Please note that bad weather may make ACC inaccessible. If ACC is closed due to weather, we may need to cancel or consider a back-up facility (probably Greencastle).

IF YOU WISH TO ATTEND THE SEMINAR, PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA EMAIL and I will forward the registration and safety forms to you, as well as directions to ACC.

Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanks to Hickman for putting this together for us. This is a clip of how the day went on January 23, 2010. Come and give it a try in Feb at ACC.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom