FBI Seizes Couple's Life-Savings Without Charging Them of Crime…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Just gonna throw this out there... Let's say that a business is discovered to be a front for Mexican cartels, importing fentanyl into the country. The business is owned by an American citizen. Okay to take their **** after they have been convicted? I say yes.

If charged and convicted of criminal activity, sure.

It is not "seize first" and then "due process" (despite what trump says). That is what "civil forfieture" is.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If charged and convicted of criminal activity, sure.

It is not "seize first" and then "due process" (despite what trump says). That is what "civil forfieture" is.
    What about freezing of accounts and assets, as has been done in the past? Money hasn't been taken, but it's been made inaccessible.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What is the difference?

How would it be any different than saying, "You still own your rifle, but you cannot access it"?
    I'm thinking in terms of a "buffer" period. Kinda like, "Now just hold on a cotton pickin' minute there! WTF is going on here? Okay, we're gonna hit "pause" and see just what's what."

I can think of several .gov agencies to which that would apply, can't you? ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's not worth anything anyway. :n00b:
    Sure it is! It's worth whatever they imagine it to be.

iu

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I'm thinking in terms of a "buffer" period. Kinda like, "Now just hold on a cotton pickin' minute there! WTF is going on here? Okay, we're gonna hit "pause" and see just what's what."

Sure.

The "pause" is smacking down state when it strays from its constraint, not depriving one of property whom has not been charged and convicted.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Just gonna throw this out there... Let's say that a business is discovered to be a front for Mexican cartels, importing fentanyl into the country. The business is owned by an American citizen. Okay to take their **** after they have been convicted? I say yes.
    A hard NO! If the fine structure covers it, so be it, but seizure of citizens property is wrong, anytime.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

If they do not have probable cause they should keep their grubby fingers of of it…

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

I'm all for hitting a pause on the corrupt FBI and the thieving ATF's access to funds.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

If they can hit pause on a person's ability to access their assets, do the person's creditors get paused too? Due process.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    About the 10th stanza down in The XXVIII Amendment proposal was written for just this sort of forfeiture taking.

Top Bottom