• Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    That's because it isn't a video.

It's a zipped file containing a .pdf

Unfortunately, I'm a bit cautious about opening unknown executables on my personal computers, but if some other people chime in that it's ok, I'll give it a read.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Wow.

107 rounds fired from the LEO, hit the guy 17 times, still had to 'fight' him to get into hand cuffs.

This was one guy and he wasn't hopped up on drugs. G'luck with your 7 round mag when 4 guys decide to break in!

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I didn't view the link, but I'll betcha the BG was not shot in the face.

17 rounds to non vitals.

Shoot here:

Brainstem4_zpsb5e41a6d.jpg

TK

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement...BUT

I'm very surprised multiple 180gr bullets did not penetrate and expand better at a distance of 20 feet.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    Proves that it is not like the movies like so many anti gunners wanna believe. One shot doesn't always drop someone, even when shot by someone "trained" to shoot, stress under these conditions will affect shot placement and even your ability to hit the target. On the bright side, his tattoo proved to be truthful and foretelling...he did in fact "die by the gun"....

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I didn't view the link, but I'll betcha the BG was not shot in the face.

17 rounds to non vitals.

Shoot here:

Brainstem4_zpsb5e41a6d.jpg

TK

If you open the doc you can pretty much see every shot he was hit by, xray and photograph...

You are correct that none hit the triangle but most/half were upper center mass.

That said, where do all the experts tell you to shoot? I've not seen or trained with a single one who says to aim for your triangle, more like the opposite.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    In the real world head shots are not as easy as what you think. These guys are not standing still and are often firing back. Not many people in the world can make that shot on demand. You have to hit what you can hit.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Excuse my ignorance but how the HECK was there only 1" of penetration for pretty much all of the .40 rounds? Is a down jacket the almost equivalent of a type ii vest?

devil07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    East Side Indy
    From reading the linked FBI AAR pdf, The 1" penetration seems to be the inaccurate info disseminated on the internet (NTOA forum). It specifically stated in the pdf that several of the .40 rounds had expanded and were recovered from the corpse. It also stated a little later that it is "impossible" for a .40 hollow point to expand in only 1" of penetration.

I was actually hoping to see more info on the failure(s) of the .223 duty rounds. The (in)effectiveness of LE duty rounds for the AR15 platform has become a point of interest recently, for me, due to some not-yet substantiated info about Federal's duty ammo not getting the job done locally.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Right, if one reads the entire report, one finds that the 1" of penetration was a misunderstanding. The .40 rounds DID perform as designed (which means adequate penetration), however, the shots were not placed well. Precise shot placement can be very difficult in a dynamic situation; people moving, using cover/concealment, stress, etc. (a good reason for +10 mags, btw).

While shot placement is VERY important, bullet performance is also important and cannot be ignored. They are independent variables, and both have to be satisfied for an effective wound to result. See here for a bit more explanation:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...oading/268166-average_firefight_rounds-4.html

Top Bottom