• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    FBI Offers Reward In Agent Gun, Gear Thefts - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

INDIANAPOLIS -- The FBI offered a $5,000 reward Friday for information that leads to the arrest of those responsible for a series of home and vehicle thefts in which an agent's weapons were stolen.

Investigators said the thieves took an FBI SWAT uniform, two sets of body armor and three guns, including two machine gun-style rifles.

Police said the thieves hit at least 12 homes early Thursday west of Interstate 65 between 71st and 86th streets on Indianapolis' northwest side.

The guns -- an H&K MP5/10A3 10 mm rifle, a Rock River Arms LAR15 rifle and a Springfield 1911A1 .45-caliber handgun -- are unique, which will likely make it difficult for anyone to sell them without being detected.

Investigators said at least one set of body armor would be easily distinguishable because "FBI" is displayed on the front and back.

The FBI asked anyone with information to call them at 317-639-3301.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    two machine gun-style rifles.

:facepalm:

The guns -- an H&K MP5/10A3 10 mm rifle, a Rock River Arms LAR15 rifle and a Springfield 1911A1 .45-caliber handgun -- are unique, which will likely make it difficult for anyone to sell them without being detected.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

1) Per ATF, the HK is a machine gun, even though the FBI models have the 0-1 (semi only) trigger pack installed.

2) So when one individual sells a "unique" gun to another individual on the street, it sets off some kind of federal government beacon, or what? :rolleyes:

one set of body armor would be easily distinguishable because "FBI" is displayed on the front and back.

Until you strip the carrier off... :dunno:

I hope the perp(s) get caught, but this article is full of fail.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Why in the world would someone, ESPECIALLY an FBI agent leave any weapon, let alone these weapons, in a car? This type of thing has happened before and I just don't get it.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Why in the world would someone, ESPECIALLY an FBI agent leave any weapon, let alone these weapons, in a car?

He didn't.

Thieves steal high-powered guns from FBI agent
    Updated: Sep 18, 2009 6:40 AM EDT

Indianapolis - Even FBI agents aren't immune to street crime.

Indianapolis police report a break-in Thursday morning at an FBI SWAT agent's home netted thieves a submachine gun, a semiautomatic rifle, .45-caliber semiautomatic handgun and two sets of body armor. The unidentified agent had stored them properly in a chained lockbox.

The agent's home was among at least 12 homes, garages and vehicles broken into on the city's northwest side. Police said the bandits also made off with a shotgun, a sheriff's deputy's badge and a Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

Copyright 2009 Associated Press.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Just saw the article and all I could think was how could this happen? Unique weapon the HK, should raise some eyebrows. Hope they catch them.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Indy Star says they were stolen out of the vehicle.

"The famed law enforcment agency became one this month, when weapons, FBI body armor and a SWAT-team uniform were stolen from a government-owned vehicle."
    INDIANAPOLIS - The FBI wants its stolen guns back.

Chicago Tribune says they were stolen from the vehicle as well:

The agency on Friday offered a $5,000 reward for information about whoever took the FBI SWAT agent's high-powered guns after breaking into a government vehicle parked in a neighborhood on the northwest side of Indianapolis.

Among the items taken was a submachine gun, a semiautomatic rifle, .45-caliber semiautomatic handgun and two sets of body armor. The theft was discovered Thursday morning.

Police say at least 12 homes, garages and vehicles broken into in the neighborhood. Police said the bandits also made off with a shotgun, a sheriff's deputy's badge and a Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    What's full of fail is them leaving all those firearms and gear in their vehicles.. like they are beyond being robbed like the rest of us just because of who they are.

Guess that theory didn't work out so well.

Dashman010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Downtown, Indy
    Lets give the FBI a little credit here though, this guy was on the SWAT team. That means that he can be called at any time to go to someplace immediately and have to be ready and armed. I don't think it is reasonable, or rational, to think that an FBI agent is going to remove 3 guns from his car every day, lock them in his house, and then, at a moments notice, transfer all of his stuff back to the car. I mean, these guys take their cars just about everywhere so they can be ready all the time. So, what, is he going to come home from work, unload the guns, decide that he needs to go to the grocery store, reload in the car, go to store, come home, unload....etc. It just doesn't make sense.

Perhaps some kind of in car safe or something, but that would be probably the only plausible scenario to me.

As for locking them in the house even, perhaps some caution should be taken knowing that he has some pretty kickass weapons, but I don't lock the vast majority of my weapons up all the time anyway. Some are in the safe, but many are not, because it would preclude their usefulness in a bad situation, and I don't have the time to transfer every gun to a safe and back every time I leave the house for the day. Just my :twocents:

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    It seems to me that if a civilian had a rifle locked in the trunk or a pistol locked in the glove box that was stolen people would be complaining about how criminals are scum and it was a terrible loss for the gun owners.

Why is it different for a cop? Aren't cops human too? Just because it's a crime against a LEO, isn't it still a crime?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    True. You'd also hear people admonishing the theft victim for being too lax with their own security.

Thieves ARE scum. But figuring that out after the fact will not help you get your property back.

I'd also speculate that he was being watched - or some brave stupid youths in the neighborhood pulled this off. And when they get caught, boy is there going to be trouble. Hope to god that a crime isn't pulled of with the use of these.

Top Bottom