• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikedippert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There are PLENTY of "other parts" that are also serial numbered on many firearms. Some of the parts have the full SN, some just have a partial SN. These other parts being serialed currently doesn't cause anyone any grief with replacing them.

-J-
    My G26 has 4 distinct serial numbers, that I've seen. Slide, barrel, frame, and the important one. They're all unique. I'm sure most guns are this way. Most manufactured items are. Helps them isolate manufacturing problems when stuff starts breaking in the field.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    I've also wondered about that. Say for instance some scumbag with a pistol swaps his factory barrel, caps some foo, scraps that barrel and puts the factory back in. The detectives come and take his gun for ballistics. Without the casing and firing pin mark, they got nothing, right?

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    Be glad! If the S/N was on the barrel / upper / other changeable part then you'd have to jump through the hoops for every S/N'ed part you change out.

So if I need a new barrel for my Glock (i do :/) do I need to give them the serial number? I've night several for my old 1911 without a problem, obviously because there's no s/n, but the Glock I'm unsure of.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've also wondered about that. Say for instance some scumbag with a pistol swaps his factory barrel, caps some foo, scraps that barrel and puts the factory back in. The detectives come and take his gun for ballistics. Without the casing and firing pin mark, they got nothing, right?

Without the barrel that the bullet/s went through nor the fired casings - then there probably isn't much in that vein of evidence. Catching a suspect soon enough to do a chemical analysis of hands/fingers MAY yield clues as to if the person recently fired a weapon. I do not know if they can get a powder signature or not - or have the funds/means to do so anyhow.

So if I need a new barrel for my Glock (i do :/) do I need to give them the serial number? I've night several for my old 1911 without a problem, obviously because there's no s/n, but the Glock I'm unsure of.

If you need a new barrel for your pistol you just go somewhere and buy one and put it in your gun. End of story.

-J-

HalfCocked

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I had a friend who worked as a "real" CSI tech. He told me that when they watch the CSI TV programs they just fall on the floor laughing. Real DNA testing takes months, no computer can find the exact finger print. Weapons are seldom traceable to anyone. ETC. If they can ID guns from the casing it sure makes sense to always police your brass.... wouldn't want some bad guy leaving it at a crime scene to implicate you....

Top Bottom