• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This year's fawns...what do you call them in November? It is funny how so many people use them differently. To some a fawn is a fawn through the first year. To some they refer to fawns as yearlings. To others "yearlings" are last years fawns. And some use the two interchangeably! Just curious how each of you use these terms.

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    We have always called a yearling a deer in its first year. Same as a fawn. We call a 1 1/2 year old deer just that a 1 1/2 year old.

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    We go with a fawn for born this year and a yearling for born last year. But that usually only applies to does since a we call a buck fawn a button buck and a yearling buck a 1 1/2 year old buck.

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    a deer is a fawn the first year of its life. the second year (age 1-2) is a yearling.

Yall can calll em what you want, but thats the proper term. During hunting season a yearling is 1.5 yr old

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I grew up referring to them the same as ZS84, using fawn and yearling to mean the same thing. I've changed in the last decade or so to fawn (1st year) and yearling (2nd year.) I do however lapse back into that some especially when I'm back home. Like mrdryoung said, bucks are button bucks and 1 1/2 year olds.

billcollector

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    NW Indiana
    i call them fawns till they loose there spots. then they become yearlings till they hit the next level which is doe or buck. Doe or buck being of harvestable size (not small dog).

kirch86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    I call it a fawn until it looses it's spots, after that it is their age if it is a buck or i just call a doe a doe

Top Bottom