• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cburnworth

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Carlos Toranos. Feunte King B Have to be in the mood for the CAO Mx2(Dark,oily & strong). Acid Blondie on occasion. Drew Estates Egg ( this sucker is huge, $10 and is a 2 hour smoke.)

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Classics are my favorite, but I enjoy all the Fuente's

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    But I don't have the Grand Reserve in stock. We have several different Gurhka's but not that one. The 'hot' one seems to be the Ancient Warrior at the 1101 shop.

The Grand Reserve I found by mistake while in college when the cigar store went out of business. I love the flavor that the cognac gives them.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Equal favorites are:
    Gloria Cubana Serie R No. 7 Robusto
    Padron 1964 Anniversary Natural Churchill

I used to like Lars Tetens until they turned to crap. I even spent some time on the phone talking to Lars about his cigars and basically figured out he's a profiteer of anything.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    Nope. Ours our white label/red dot.

Sadly its not legal to sell the yellow label in the US. Real Cubans are illegal to possess, illegal to smoke, very illegal to sell. Which is not to say that there is not a blackmarket for them, in fact there are websites where people actively trade real Cuban cigars that have been smuggled into the US.

I currently have NONE.

You can buy, sell, and trade pre embargo all you want. If you can find them. They were in the US before the trade laws so there is nothing illegal about them.

Favorite is Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduro / PAM
    Anything Punch for my affordable smokes.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    You can buy, sell, and trade pre embargo all you want. If you can find them. They were in the US before the trade laws so there is nothing illegal about them.

Favorite is Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduro / PAM
    Anything Punch for my affordable smokes.

I'd always heard that somewhere there was an exception that you could being in ONE box (50 or less) a year for personal use, i.e. bringing a box back from Canada, where they're legal...

However I've always chalked it up to urban legend, because no one has ever been able to show it to me in black and white.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'd always heard that somewhere there was an exception that you could being in ONE box (50 or less) a year for personal use, i.e. bringing a box back from Canada, where they're legal...

However I've always chalked it up to urban legend, because no one has ever been able to show it to me in black and white.

The information about the Pre-Embargo cigars is correct. They do exist. They are beyond the financial means of the average American. As for the ONE BOX (50 cigars) a year for personal use, no. Not legal. It is true that many boxes do come into the USA that way. But not legally.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    been years since i smoked anything, but i did like the cheap backwoods. if i wanted something a little nicer, i used to get a BIG onyx as an all-day cigar, or arango sportsman tubes for something a little more mild.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Got a few favs that i rotate through
    Cohiba Puro Dominicana
    La Gloria Cubana Serie R
    La Aroma de Cuba
    Onyx
    Romeo y Julieta Viejo

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    The information about the Pre-Embargo cigars is correct. They do exist. They are beyond the financial means of the average American. As for the ONE BOX (50 cigars) a year for personal use, no. Not legal. It is true that many boxes do come into the USA that way. But not legally.

I knew pre-embargo was legal, just the complications of proper storage for that long, and the price (last time I even payed attention, $50+ EACH?)

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The C.A.O. Brazilian AMAZON is a fantastic cigar. :rockwoot:

How do these compare to the CAO Brazilian box press? I am just assuming the size is different, correct?

I enjoy good cigars, but know very little about them. I usually go to the store pick out a handful and smoke them. I don't know how to describe the flavors, etc. I just know what I like and don't. Just I need to start writing the ones down I like, but always forget. :xmad:

I am going to try some of the ones people have suggested here, and hopefully get my stock built up.

I like the CAO brand so far. I've had the Brazilia, Italia and America.

melensdad, does your shop ship? You are about a 2 hour drive for me. :( Has anyone ever used an online cigar company? I have used Finck Cigar Company before, but don't know how their prices compare.

Finck Cigar Company - World's Best Cigars

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    Monte Cristo:
    montecristo-tubos-single-cuban-havana-cigar.jpg
    and

Hav A Tampa Jewel:
    HavaTampaJewelsBoxes.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    How do these compare to the CAO Brazilian box press? I am just assuming the size is different, correct?
    CAO Brazilian is a whole series of cigars, they make several different shapes, sizes and blends within the Brazilian series. Each is different. All are pretty bold and spicy that I have tried but my favorite is the Amazon. Also realize that SHAPE of the cigar will affect NOT ONLY how it smokes, but the flavor. Thin cigars generally burn "hot" and fat (large ring gauge) cigars smoke "cool" and this will affect the flavor as the tobacco may be the same but the way it burns will affect the taste.

melensdad, does your shop ship? You are about a 2 hour drive for me.
    Nope, we don't ship.

As for on-line cigar companies, the only one I can recommend is Cigars International - discount cigars, humidors, cigar accessories they offer a good selection, most of their brands are name brand cigars, their prices are excellent too. Being out of state, they get around the Indiana cigar/tobacco tax so they have a price advantage over my shop too.

For EVERYONE thinking of buying cigars on-line, I strongly recommend you only buy what you KNOW YOU LIKE from these places. Realize that many of the on-line cigar retailers have numerous "house" brands that they promote as high quality but they are really anything but that. Also, since many only sell full boxes if you buy something you think you like and find out you don't you are now stuck with $100+ worth of cigars you will be gagging on.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    CAO Brazilian is a whole series of cigars, they make several different shapes, sizes and blends within the Brazilian series. Each is different. All are pretty bold and spicy that I have tried but my favorite is the Amazon. Also realize that SHAPE of the cigar will affect NOT ONLY how it smokes, but the flavor. Thin cigars generally burn "hot" and fat (large ring gauge) cigars smoke "cool" and this will affect the flavor as the tobacco may be the same but the way it burns will affect the taste.

Nope, we don't ship.

As for on-line cigar companies, the only one I can recommend is Cigars International - discount cigars, humidors, cigar accessories they offer a good selection, most of their brands are name brand cigars, their prices are excellent too. Being out of state, they get around the Indiana cigar/tobacco tax so they have a price advantage over my shop too.

For EVERYONE thinking of buying cigars on-line, I strongly recommend you only buy what you KNOW YOU LIKE from these places. Realize that many of the on-line cigar retailers have numerous "house" brands that they promote as high quality but they are really anything but that. Also, since many only sell full boxes if you buy something you think you like and find out you don't you are now stuck with $100+ worth of cigars you will be gagging on.

Thanks for the info. I picked up an Amazon last night, along with some others. If I'm ever up your way, I will definitely stop by.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks for the info. I picked up an Amazon last night, along with some others. If I'm ever up your way, I will definitely stop by.

Well if you can make it on the afternoon/evening of April 21 (that is next Thursday) we are having a cigar tasting sponsored by Xicar. They make the HC brand of cigars. Not well known but very well respected. 2 of their 3 blends have been named "TOP 25" cigars in the world. Prices are pretty reasonable too, starting in the mid-$6 and going up to a high of $8.00 each. For cigars with such high rankings that is pretty darn cheap in price.

HC cigars are not sold on-line, so you need to find a shop that buys direct to pick them up. Their "Colorado" wrapper cigars are amazing!

Top Bottom