• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elkaholic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Johnson County
    I'm looking at buying a new shotgun in the near future and haven't shot enough of the new ones to know whether or not to buy one!! If I'm going to drop a $800 on one I better like it!!! Which ones should I look at?

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Pump or semi-auto?
    Remington 870 is a tank! Multiple uses: Hunting, home defense, &/or target for way under $800

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Love my Benelli Nova. Can not beat a Remington 870

Looking to spend more and go semi auto I like the FN SLP

I sold all my expensive stuff off and went back to the pump guns. All I currently own now is the Nova. Have not missed them at all. Pump guns shoot anything.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Pump or semi-auto?
    Remington 870 is a tank! Multiple uses: Hunting, home defense, &/or target for way under $800
    Plus, in regards with a pump, in extreme conditions, a pump won't freeze up. Plus, unless you want a wood stock, synthetic is the way to go (less care needed).

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    My first trip witb a benelli m4 started with the cross support pins shattering in the action.

Cant go wrong with a 500a or 590A1
    Plenty of parts!
    And affordable.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You can spend $8000 and still suck with it. More then once I have outshot people using a $200 pawn shop 870 while they are running a 2k Benelli. Having said that, my favorite all around guns are Benelli simply because it is easier to shoot semi auto in strained or difficult positions. Semi auto is also easier to teach newbies on and softer shooting. This means a new shooter can focus more on technique and less on operating the pump or eating the recoil. If gauge is a non issue, then it depends on primary use whether 12 or 20 is best. I don't play the one gun, one gauge game. Just like my kitchen, there is a hell of a lot more than just salt and pepper in there. I prefer to have options!

shotgunning is very social, shoot some until you find one you make hits with, then buy that model.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    My first trip witb a benelli m4 started with the cross support pins shattering in the action.

Cant go wrong with a 500a or 590A1
    Plenty of parts!
    And affordable.
    Sorry to hear about your m4 experience. Mine has been amazing. Kills deer, rabbits, pheasants, runs awesome for tac classes, and he'll of an hd gun. Shoots/cycles with anything. It's fun, fast, and accurate. My favorite all around shotgun over my briwning gold or my franchi o/u. Id get an fn slp shotgun if I were the op though.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I really like the Versamax. I have the competition and it's handled everything I've fed it without issues. Also don't have to change pistons or anything when switching between heavy or lighter loads. It has a huge loading port also. The competition is a little more than $800 but I think the standard models are in that area.

I've had the FN SLP mk1 and it was a nice shotgun but I would still take the Versamax over it.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I can't say that I've shot very many different shotguns. My first was a 16g H&R Topper from Kmart, and did that thing kick like a mule. I also shot my dads 870 Wingmaster occasionally, until I graduated from college and he got me my own Wingmaster. It's a good all-around gun with lots and lots of applications and available accessories.

Elkaholic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Johnson County
    Thanks ballstater98 I had an 870 express mag and after three shots the shells would not load! I'm not sure but think it may have just been a spring issue but I'm not sure!!

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Plus, in regards with a pump, in extreme conditions, a pump won't freeze up. Plus, unless you want a wood stock, synthetic is the way to go (less care needed).

The M590 and M870 were still the primary issue guns back when I was using them for the Corps (In my MOS I used them quite a bit). I saw a whole bunch of malfunctions when people short stroked them under time pressure for qualification or just trying to go fast and look cool. And working them from a prone or other oddball position? yep, more issues. But everyone here I'm sure is way more hard-core trained, so maybe that's not an issue. :dunno:

The Corps has since moved to the Benelli M4, a semi-auto, for good reason.

I recently went Pheasant hunting in South Dakota. Flushing 6 roosters out of a ditch, the last thing I'd want is a pump.

Pumps work, but with an $800 budget as opposed to a $400 budget, a nice Semiauto would be my choice. Preferably an inertia driven gun. Semis shoot softer and faster (and anyone who tells who otherwise is lying or a moron), so for any application in which a series of quick shots is important, a semi is going to outperform the pump.

Top Bottom