• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What's your favorite .223 bullet for reloading?

• Total voters

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Could someone with a hornady reloading book tell me what the recommended total over all length for the 55gr FMJBT... I am not new to reloading but am to 223, and the bullets seated to the length my sierra manual lists for 55gr fmj's will not fit into my mags... So I seated them in until the crimp landed in the middle of the "crimp ring" and they now fit in my mags... Just wanted to be safe.

Thanks in advance for the help,
    Parker

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Did you work the load up at this new length? If not and it is based on maximum charge data, you should.

The actual pressure variation by seating depth will depend on your powder's sensitivity to the volume or compression change. But as a for instance per Quickload, a max load with that bullet and H335 loaded to 2.26" OAL, would increase roughly 500 PSI for each decrease of 0.01" in OAL. So 55k at 2.26", 55,500 at 2.25", 55,950 at 2.24"....etc. But that is a software estimate.

Regardless, the cannelure is below the ogive, and thus fair game for seating to.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Anderson
    I couldn't vote because I load 62 grain SS109 projectiles where not listed. I load 55 grain FMJBT for general shooting in front of 25 grains of AA2230. If I'm loading using military brass, I back it down to 23 grains to avoild excessive chamber pressure. I use the Lymann Reloader Digest for my reloading reference....it is the best! GOPWINS, if you're having accuracy issues with the 55 grain FMJBT (unless you don"t have boat tail projectiles), check to see if you're using all the same manufacture brass (same year too if military), assure that your powder measure is within 1/10 of a grain every time and you have good quality primers. Further, you need to check your head spacing as well as bullet jump. If all of these things are in order and you're using an AR with 1 in 8 twist, you should be shooting less than 2 inch groups at 300 meters.

Top Bottom