• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    My wife and I have 2 1911's and we love them both. Kimber stainless custom target II for the wife and I just got my Springfield Range Officer this last weekend. What's not to like about a 1911?

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Mine would be my Les Baer full size 1911, forgot what they call them. It's very accurate and much more accurate then my Gold Cup.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Can't say that I blame you.

But are you aware that modern Colts* are using patents that were developed by DETONICS :rockwoot:

* Ditto, Springfield, Kimber, Les Baer, Wilson, etc. All of them are using patents and designs that were developed by DETONICS. In fact other than John Browning, the designer of the Detonics Combat Master holds more patents than anyone else who has picked up a 1911 style gun and many modern 1911 pattern guns are more likely operational clones of a Detonics pistol than the original Colt designs.
    That is interesting, such as? :yesway:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Please tell me more about Detonics patents. Thanks, Jerry
    That is interesting, such as? :yesway:
    You can start with the coned barrel that eliminates the barrel bushing, something that is on virtually all target grade pistols as well as almost all modern compact 1911s. Captured recoil assemblies. 2 and then later triple recoil springs. The first 1911 that was throated and ramped barrels so hollowpoints could feed reliably. I believe there are over 30 various patents, can't recall them all. Some were as simple as extra strength firing pin springs to prevent a gun dropped on the muzzle from firing. Some more complex like being the first stainless steel handguns that did not suffer from galling, all other stainless guns came after Detonics solved this problem.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    My favorite is also the very first gun I purchased, my stainless Colt 1991a1.

Of course, I'm going to be looking pretty hard to find another favorite 1911 handgun this year. :)

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    My custom SA 1911

final1911small.jpg

Springfield Loaded Parkerized
    • Tijicon Night Sights
    • Altamont Finger Groove Grips - Stipple-Checked, Silver Black
    • Fusion Mainspring Housing MAG-WELL, Black -Chain-Link
    • Ed Brown Perfection Sear
    • Ed Brown Perfection Disconnector
    • Ed Brown Match Grade Commander-Style Lightweight Hardcore Hammer Blue
    • EGW Extended Hammer Strut 1911 Titanium
    • Cylinder & Slide - Reduced Weight Sear Spring
    • Wilson Combat Bullet Proof Extractor
    • Ed Brown Firing Pin Stop
    • Ed Brown Competition 19# Mainspring
    • Ed Brown Firing Pin Spring 1911 Extra Power
    • Parkerized MSH and Mag Well to match frame

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Kimber Series 1 Classic Stainless LE. Damn beautiful full-size with 8 round Chip McCormicks. Satin stainless with black small-parts...
    I might want to put an arched main-spring housing, but aside from that, no changes.

Bonehead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Vincennes
    Out of all i have I would have to say that my Kimber in 10mm is my pick....
    P1010034.jpg

Though coming a close second would be my Springfield TRP......... sucks though as it will probaly end up for sale in very near future because of financial issues:(
    P1010039.jpg

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks Melensdad. :yesway:

The only one I don't agree with is,
    something that is on virtually all target grade pistols as
    The target 1911s I'm familiar with use the bushing as an intrical part of the accurasizing process.

Some more complex like being the first stainless steel handguns that did not suffer from galling, all other stainless guns came after Detonics solved this problem.
    What year was the first totally stainless Detonics offered on the market? Ken Lau has always been given the credit for bringing the first viable STS 1911 to market.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What year was the first totally stainless Detonics offered on the market? Ken Lau has always been given the credit for bringing the first viable STS 1911 to market.
    I'd have to go digging in my files to see that but its been widely reported in the gun media that Detonics solved the galling problem. Even a simple websearch typing in Detonics and Galling showed hundreds of results giving credit to Detonics for solving the problems with stainless steel galling problems.

Detonics is also given credit for the first use of "3 dot" sights, integral guide rod with buffer, loaded magazine indicator, captured springs, tortional spring extractor capable of radial movement in addition to in/out, etc.

As for the coned barrel on target pistols, yes some use bushings. Many do not. Depends on the maker.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd have to go digging in my files to see that but its been widely reported in the gun media that Detonics solved the galling problem. Even a simple websearch typing in Detonics and Galling showed hundreds of results giving credit to Detonics for solving the problems with stainless steel galling problems.
    I'll be danged, that is basically the same info as you'll get for Ken Lau and his KEN-AIR, Inc., company. Thanks amigo.

Top Bottom