• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Later this year my father turns 80. I have been thinking about doing something extra special but am limited in ideas. To get is out of the way, he is not into firearms so "buy him a gun" won't fly. The man grew up in northern Ohio, moved here after grad school and spent 45 years or so teaching college at the University of Evansville. He has all the stuff he wants, still travels extensively both to visit family and internationally, and is in great health.

The obvious idea is to throw him a big party and invite all his friends, family, etc. Seems easy enough but to me this serves as a reminder of friends who are no longer hear and smacks of a "hey, let's get together now before it's too late" feel. I consider this a fallback and would likely limit it to 15-20 people

So this is not the case of finding a gift or making reservations. I am looking for clever ideas to mark this monumental occasion. Help me out INGO.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Take him back to northern OH to revisit his roots and, if he likes that sort of thing, cap the event of with some walleye fishing on Lake Erie.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    We made a shadow box with various family memories for my granddad's 80th.
    Turned out pretty cool, and didn't cost a ton.

Think of a 9"x13" pan/tray with dividers. Fill each slot with nick-nacks (thimble, rolled-up newspaper, micro-machine, doll house stuff, etc...)
    Attach a written inventory/short description of the items and their meaning. Get the whole crew to contribute 5 items/stories.
    You'll have a one-of-a-kind, personal gift in no time.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Is there any way humanly possible to contact any past students? As a teacher your rewards come in a very delayed form. It might be very rewarding to him to hear what impact he has had on a student's life. More = better, if possible.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    For my grandma's 80th birthday, my aunt organized a surprise party with all the friends, and it went over very well without the negative connotations you mentioned. What stood out to me is that it was the largest assembly of people I can't remember not knowing assembled at the same time. Grandma loved it.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Later this year my father turns 80. I have been thinking about doing something extra special but am limited in ideas. To get is out of the way, he is not into firearms so "buy him a gun" won't fly. The man grew up in northern Ohio, moved here after grad school and spent 45 years or so teaching college at the University of Evansville(liberal gun haters!). He has all the stuff he wants, still travels extensively both to visit family and internationally, and is in great health.

The obvious idea is to throw him a big party and invite all his friends, family, etc. Seems easy enough but to me this serves as a reminder of friends who are no longer hear and smacks of a "hey, let's get together now before it's too late" feel. I consider this a fallback and would likely limit it to 15-20 people

So this is not the case of finding a gift or making reservations. I am looking for clever ideas to mark this monumental occasion. Help me out INGO.

how about this, contact ue, see if they'll give you a list of former students(you know they have that, cause they always contact them for money...like 32 grand a year for every student aint enough!...hell they contact me and i dont go there! my kids do!)...what was i saying?....oh yeah have his former students make video clips about him, splice them together into a movie, and show it at his birthday party(just you and the 14 to 19 others)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I like the "get the former students to make cards or videos" idea.

I also think that this get-together should be about family and what YOU have all learned from him and how he's shaped YOUR lives. That's the most important thing, IMHO.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Don't have a surprise birthday party for him.

Now that after a PM or two I know who Snorko's dad is, I agree given that I doubt that it would be compatible with him. It would probably represent more frivolity than what is called for on the occasion.

Top Bottom