Father kills drunk driver that killed his 2 children.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Everyone here understands why he would WANT to kill the guy that killed his kids. What's the expression? "ShootI've never killed anyone but I've read a lot of obituaries with a great degree of satisfaction! "

Killing someone without trial or self defense is some shade of murder. Might be a light shade of it, under the circumstances. I personally would hope that I would err on the side of the law and forgiveness. I also believe that forgiveness doesnt mean that the drunk should get away with no punishment. It just means that if I was the father I should spend my effort and time and mental energy on healing what's left of my family rather thhan being consumed with seeing vengeance meted out.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Kinda of like the story I read about the child molester killed at New Castle Prison. Justice served, maybe a little too early though in this case.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    If you have a medical condition like that and you get on the road, you are just as guilty of murder as a drunk driver. Even worse - at least the drunk can claim his judgement was impaired. To me that is just a little less evil than premeditated murder.

I'm not condoning what the man did but I think it is understandable. I can't imagine the rage that must have filled his mind in that moment. I do think justice was served, although the law was not.

As for what I would do - I'm not sure I know. Police officers and soldiers train for years to handle high-intensity moments, but survivors will tell you that you never know how someone will handle it until it happens. And these are people training for specific situations. Who could prepare for this sort of scenario?

I definitely agree with you. The problem is our society has just become so stupid. People don't take time to think about things.

People also don't realize they are driving a 4,000 pound piece of machinery that can cause serious damage/death when operated improperly.

Just like some gun owners that just don't take 5 seconds to pay attention to what they are doing.

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Very sad.

Yes, the man was wrong for killing the drunk driver, but I certainly don't look down on him for doing so. I don't even want to imagine the thoughts going through the head of a man who has lost his two sons only moments ago.

Can't expect a man to keep a cool head after that. Hope he finds some peace.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I remember reading about a man in Texas that beat a man to death for molesting his child. No charges filed.

Once the father found him he obviously stopped the act, still a killing followed.

One by hand one by a fire arm. Seem very similar in a lot of ways.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    After reading this whole thread ......I see some will never stand up for anything .....I see some who would give up there guns or there right to protect them self or others because its becomes law ....... and will bow and not stand for what they feel is right not wanting to pay the cost to defend that right. A lot of the time the court room is the last place that gives justice............A lot of the time justice is from a officers weapon is used in the name of the county ,state, government......and some times the court does give just(correct)........ justice..

Agree or disagree with what this man did most would understand why he did it.......he was willing to pay the cost..... his freedom or life for what he thought in his eyes was justice........I for one will not judge this man .... will he find peace for killing the ones who killed his family .......only he can answer that......:twocents:

The POS who shot the other driver is at fault.

He had hos two sons, ages 11 and 12 pushing his beat up, broken down pickup truck down a narrow dark road AT NIGHT!

"David Barajas, along with his sons, 12-year-old David Jr. and 11-year-old Caleb, were pushing the family's broken-down pickup truck down a dark, narrow road on the night of Dec. 7 and were just 50 yards from home when a car crashed into them.

"He told me ... he kept looking back, making sure nobody was coming, nobody was going to run into them," said Gabriel Barajas."

Are you people freaking kidding me? This "father", this killer is the one who should be put to death for stupidity, child endangerment and murder.

The driver who hit them may or may not have been drinking and impaired. I do know that this "father" is a reckless person and put his entire family in a needlessly dangerous position.

Leave the truck, walk the 50 yds to the house and get the vehicle in the morning when it's light and people can see! That he has defenders is beyond me.

Last edited:

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I remember reading about a man in Texas that beat a man to death for molesting his child. No charges filed.

Once the father found him he obviously stopped the act, still a killing followed.

One by hand one by a fire arm. Seem very similar in a lot of ways.

Accident v. sex crime against a minor.

Yeah, real similar.:rolleyes:

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I'm not comparing those two things. I am comparing the fact that both were killings after a threat was gone. But in all honesty that's a matter of opinion good sir.

Ask the man with two dead children's which he would have rather had happen.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I'm not comparing those two things. I am comparing the fact that both were killings after a threat was gone. But in all honesty that's a matter of opinion good sir.

Ask the man with two dead children's which he would have rather had happen.

In fairness one is an ACCIDENT (unless caused by drunkenness) and the other is a sexual predator intentionally attacking someone. Those are two different things on the perp side as well. There's always the possibility (small though it may be) of an innocent accident. There's NEVER the possibility of innocently molesting a kid.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I believe the person was drunk. I guess it's debatable how much of an accident it is. A decision was made to risk lives by drinking and driving.

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    I would have let the guy face his day in court, deal with his sentence, and live with the fact that he killed 2 kids while driving drunk. Let the knowledge that his stupidity killed kids live with him until the day he dies.

The problem with this is most drunks couldn't give a rats ass who they killed. Just one more reason to get drunk.

I spent my high school work years with an asshat of a football star that partied everynight. Finally killed his brother, his girlfriend, his brothers girlfriend, and a mom and her two daughters while driving around at 120 mph while drunk.

People at work doted over this son of a ***** "oh poor baby" crap the rest of the year and a half I worked there. That piece of :poop: came into work every Saturday and Sunday drunk of his ass.

Anyone care to guess how he got work. I wonder how many people he's killed before he finally bought it himself, if he has.

The courts are really pretty toothless when it comes to enforcing drunk driving.

I won't say the dad did right. But he probably kept several other people alive in the future.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    After reading this whole thread ......I see some will never stand up for anything .....I see some who would give up there guns or there right to protect them self or others because its becomes law ....... and will bow and not stand for what they feel is right not wanting to pay the cost to defend that right. A lot of the time the court room is the last place that gives justice............A lot of the time justice is from a officers weapon is used in the name of the county ,state, government......and some times the court does give just(correct)........ justice..
    It's a big leap to go from "don't go into the house, retrieve a gun and shoot someone who isn't a threat" to "I'm a wuss and will give up all my rights if you ask."
    Agree or disagree with what this man did most would understand why he did it.......he was willing to pay the cost..... his freedom or life for what he thought in his eyes was justice........I for one will not judge this man .... will he find peace for killing the ones who killed his family .......only he can answer that......:twocents:
    I fully understand why he did it and can empathize with him. However, do you really think the shooter contemplated the ramifications of his actions before he pulled the trigger? If so, then there's no room for temporary insanity or other such defense - just murder.

PS - Commas are your friends and one period is enough.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I believe the person was drunk. I guess it's debatable how much of an accident it is. A decision was made to risk lives by drinking and driving.

The guy was pushing his truck down a narrow, dark road with his two kids and the father/killer knew it was dangerous because he told them to keep a look out for cars.

A decision was made to risk lives to push a truck an additional 50yds, in the dark and on a narrow road. That decision was made by the kids father. If he hadn't made that choice they would all be alive.

You don't know if the other driver, now dead, made any mistakes at all. Perhaps the father/shooter should have been tested for drugs and alcohol as well.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    The guy was pushing his truck down a narrow, dark road with his two kids and the father/killer knew it was dangerous because he told them to keep a look out for cars.

A decision was made to risk lives to push a truck an additional 50yds, in the dark and on a narrow road. That decision was made by the kids father. If he hadn't made that choice they would all be alive.

You don't know if the other driver, now dead, made any mistakes at all. Perhaps the father/shooter should have been tested for drugs and alcohol as well.

ya know.. other than the fact that the driver was drunk....

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    We can't allow people to kill out of revenge, or because they're really upset at the moment.

If the drunk driver was reckless, and the accident only happened because the guy was drunk and disregarding safety, I might not vote to convict the man if I were on the jury, even though I think the law shouldn't allow him to do what he did.

On the other hand, it's possible to be drunk and still not have caused an accident you were involved in. If a sober driver would have done the same thing because of the situation, that hardly justifies murder.

We need a lot more information before we go saying it's okay to kill someone after the fact rather than let the law handle it.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    It's a big leap to go from "don't go into the house, retrieve a gun and shoot someone who isn't a threat" to "I'm a wuss and will give up all my rights if you ask."

I fully understand why he did it and can empathize with him. However, do you really think the shooter contemplated the ramifications of his actions before he pulled the trigger? If so, then there's no room for temporary insanity or other such defense - just murder.

PS - Commas are your friends and one period is enough.

first let me address my grammar .......yes I have poor grammar skill those that know me here ......know I was FUBAR from a IED and I had to relearn grammar and math....... I recovered but it shows in my typing ....I welcome your opinion but you can cram it with walnuts if you don't like how I write my post ..... if you don't like it don't read it......... you should have seen some of my typing years ago........most of the time I ignore grammar comments some times i lash out ....I guess this is one of those times;)

As for the other comments parts you posted yes there are a lot of people here who will bow down or agree to extreme gun restriction.....I read there post every day here......some men will never be willing to pay the cost or price for what they believe in or a right if they had to face that decision .

How quick are some to judge this man ........ only he can answer your questions no one else ...... is the death penalty justice or revenge ....... does it give peace to the family affected.....only the man who took justice in his own hands can answer a lot of are questions.....:twocents:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom