• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I wonder if there will be a divide between heavily automated fast food and a chain that is more traditional. You would pay more at the latter, but I would imagine that there is a market for that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wonder if there will be a divide between heavily automated fast food and a chain that is more traditional. You would pay more at the latter, but I would imagine that there is a market for that.
    The latter is where all the people that refuse to use the self serve checkouts at grocery stores and Walmart because "I don't work there!" would go. :):

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A market to pay more to have people screw up your order?

I'm trying to look for a positive aspect. To be truthful it's been a long time since I was in a fast food place. Friends tell me it's all done kiosk style these days.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    None of this applies anymore. Fast food quit being fast some years back.

It's even been years since I had to quit reminding myself of this, by pulling out of the drive through line, after minutes and minutes of sitting idle.

:xmad:
    I thought I was the only one! :):

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm trying to look for a positive aspect. To be truthful it's been a long time since I was in a fast food place. Friends tell me it's all done kiosk style these days.
    Most people are too lazy to get out of their cars, so most of it is drive through. Except in the cities where people aren't driving all the time.

When I go to one, I usually will go inside. It is usually a lot faster. Last time I went to a Dunkin Doughnuts, I parked, went in and got my doughnuts, and left in the time the car line moved one or two car lengths. I would not even have made it to order yet. There was no line inside.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Often saved time too.
    Most of us are too young to remember the day when you would go to the store, place an order, and wait for the shop keeper to fill your order to take home. I think it was Piggly Wiggly that was the first one that allowed the customer to go in and select their own goods. I wonder if people complained about “I don’t work for them” back then too.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Most of us are too young to remember the day when you would go to the store, place an order, and wait for the shop keeper to fill your order to take home. I think it was Piggly Wiggly that was the first one that allowed the customer to go in and select their own goods. I wonder if people complained about “I don’t work for them” back then too.
    I’m sure they did.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I believe for the most part that pay for entry level employment will pay what the market demands.
    One of the killers to that thinking is say, in small town America where there are 150 kids and only 20 jobs that are available locally.
    Had just re-read this. I agree on the first part. Somewhat on the second, where in small town America, one fast food restaurant isn't going to employ all the students. If we can keep farming out of the hands of ClownWorld™ though, where they think cow farts is a bigger problem than keeping people fed, there is probably hard work available to even small town America if they want it.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I’m not so sure. I would imagine the time savings was worth it—especially after the grocery cart was invented.
    The thing that was different than the current situation was the change did not happen at Joe’s General Store, the supermarket was built outside of town with the newfangled way, and eventually Joe’s just closed.

Today the very stores that used to sell us on service are now taking service away.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The thing that was different than the current situation was the change did not happen at Joe’s General Store, the supermarket was built outside of town with the newfangled way, and eventually Joe’s just closed.

Today the very stores that used to sell us on service are now taking service away.

Remember Service Merchandise? You order **** and they bring it out. They gone.

Ikea, similar setup. Except, they have a show room and some small merchandise in other areas where you can put merchandise in your cart. If you want to buy the bigger stuff you see in the showroom you take a ticket, look up what bin it's in in the warehouse, and go get it yourself. Take it to the checkout, and pay for it. I don't see Ikea going out of business organically. But I suppose some stores can get closed because of the aftermath of the retarded pandemic shutdown and Bidenomics.

I think it doesn't really matter if your store today changes how they serve you other than both ways existing until consumers decide which one they prefer. If Joe's General Store decided to make things more self service I think the idea of self-service would not have caught on as easily. Because a lot of people who like the way Joe's store works. It's what they're used to. Change it and they'll complain enough that Joe will probably revert back.

Put the new way in competition to the old way and someone's gonna win and someone's gonna lose. Joe either went out of business or changed his store to compete with the newfangled one at that point.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Remember Service Merchandise? You order **** and they bring it out. They gone.

Ikea, similar setup. Except, they have a show room and some small merchandise in other areas where you can put merchandise in your cart. If you want to buy the bigger stuff you see in the showroom you take a ticket, look up what bin it's in in the warehouse, and go get it yourself. Take it to the checkout, and pay for it. I don't see Ikea going out of business organically. But I suppose some stores can get closed because of the aftermath of the retarded pandemic shutdown and Bidenomics.

I think it doesn't really matter if your store today changes how they serve you other than both ways existing until consumers decide which one they prefer. If Joe's General Store decided to make things more self service I think the idea of self-service would not have caught on as easily. Because a lot of people who like the way Joe's store works. It's what they're used to. Change it and they'll complain enough that Joe will probably revert back.

Put the new way in competition to the old way and someone's gonna win and someone's gonna lose. Joe either went out of business or changed his store to compete with the newfangled one at that point.
    That is a way to articulate the point if one wanted to use several times the number of words to say the same thing… :lmfao:

Top Bottom