• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    What is the most family oriented holster you have found for carrying around your family? Family includes toddler all the way up to crotchety and cantakerous old woman. It needs to be a holster that a toddler couldnt pull your gun out of(because no matter how much we watch them like a hawk, it COULD happen) and a holster that an old woman croney wont complain about and will have no cause to say "its unsafe".. much. I could use as much help as possible on this subject, please.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    If you want the absolute most safety, then I would argue against a concealed holster. The gun should be visible and the children taught not to contact the holster. They can't avoid a gun they cannot see. And I'd recommend a SERPA holster, so that it stays locked in the holster unless you press the hidden release button.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    This is the holster that I use now when I OC
    http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6378
    Model 6378 ALS® Paddle Holster | Safariland™
    601AA4EF-9CE4-46BB-8185-F441DAE66F22-5020-0000072F74B24248_zps84ac6359.jpg

You can add this to the holster too make it a level two retention. ALS Guard covers ALS Lever to prevent any accidental or unauthorized use
    http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6006
    95D4D4F6-8BF5-4A7E-A997-8A48D69A5BC4-5020-000007368F3C1124_zpsa48df673.jpg

An error has occurred

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I have a couple Blackhawk! SERPA holsters. They aren't bad at all. Keep your index finger straight and they are plenty safe. Probably not wise to do rapid holster firing drills with any SERPA though. Youtube TeX Grubner (sp?) to see how not to do it...

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have a couple Blackhawk! SERPA holsters. They aren't bad at all. Keep your index finger straight and they are plenty safe. Probably not wise to do rapid holster firing drills with any SERPA though. Youtube TeX Grubner (sp?) to see how not to do it...

This^. Be VERY careful with a serpa.

r-MAN-SHOOTS-HIMSELF-large570.jpg

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Ill make certain I keep it in mind. Does anyone know if the blackhawk serpa j frame holsters will work with any small framed revolver? Or are they specific to the smith?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'd recommend against the SERPA. Obviously there are several folks that like them, but as stated its quite possible to shoot yourself in the leg under stress AND if you end up rolling around and get a small rock or debris behind the button then it won't unlock and give you your gun.

A regular ol' thumb break holster is going to defeat the climbing/curious toddler and as long as it covers the trigger and fits tightly its safe as mumsy's arms.

Something like this: Sky High

Although that's a pricey option, its custom molded to your particular gun, protects the trigger much better than a soft universal holster, and has a good thumb break.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    If you want the absolute most safety, then I would argue against a concealed holster. The gun should be visible and the children taught not to contact the holster. They can't avoid a gun they cannot see. And I'd recommend a SERPA holster, so that it stays locked in the holster unless you press the hidden release button.

Teaching shouldn't be done with a loaded carry pistol. If you want to teach your kids, sit them down and let them see and touch the pistol under your direct supervision. Explain to them its not a toy, and not to be touched unless you say its ok. Explain that you carry it as a tool, and to protect yourself and them. While you are carrying it can be dangerous if its removed from the holster and should only be done by you.

Also as stated above PLENTY of reasons NOT to have the stupid button on your holster. I stay as far away from those as possible.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Teaching shouldn't be done with a loaded carry pistol. If you want to teach your kids, sit them down and let them see and touch the pistol under your direct supervision. Explain to them its not a toy, and not to be touched unless you say its ok. Explain that you carry it as a tool, and to protect yourself and them. While you are carrying it can be dangerous if its removed from the holster and should only be done by you.

Also as stated above PLENTY of reasons NOT to have the stupid button on your holster. I stay as far away from those as possible.

Exactly! I also have an "open vault policy" with my kids. I NEVER say no when they ask to see them (unless we dont have time because we have to be somewhere soon), and they dont handle them until I remove them from the cabinet and clear them. I dont store them loaded, but you never know...

I CC off and on, and they arent heads-up enough yet to realize that the guns dont always sit in the locked box unloaded. :)

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Plenty to think about there. My toddler isnt old enough yet to understand, so the teaching portion will have to wait. The most I can teach her at this point is not to touch when its on my hip. The explaining will have to come later. As far as the button holster thats a good point to think about. Never considered the fact that it MIGHT fail, thats a no can do. I will have to look into other options. I need to find the safest, functional alternative out there. My daughter will Never be taught anything with a loaded firearm, not until its range time. Starting off will be under MY (and no one elses) immediate supervision.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I'm not a fan of the SERPA, and it has nothing to do with the finger placement issue. I know several people that have been unable to remove their pistols because debris got behind the release button.

I'm a big fan of the Safariland ALS and have four of them for my different duty rigs.

They now have a lower profile version called the 7TS. I would look into that if they make one for your sidearm...

Safariland%207TS%2001.jpg

Duty Gear | 7TS | Holsters | Safariland™

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Exactly. He was quick drawing and didn't keep his finger straight.

He explained it further in an interview. If you start to pull the pistol without depressing the button, it locks until you push the pistol back all the way down. He thought he just wasn't getting enough pressure on the button so he curled his finger for more leverage. The button released with his finger still in the curled position pressing inward.

He had been using a "thumb drive" holster earlier that day and due to that being the motion he had practiced, he managed to disengage the safety on the 1911 while attempting to release the pistol.

End result = banjo music and "I just ****ing shot myself!!!" :n00b:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They now have a lower profile version called the 7TS. I would look into that if they make one for your sidearm...

I'm sure this will come off much more negative than intended, but did you actually look at how limited this holster was? Its for a whopping THREE weapons! Baretta 92F and Glock 17/22. Absolutely nothing else.

I was intrigued since I have a drop leg ALS for my G23 and knowing how well it is made would be interested in something with decent retention yet more concealable. Needless to say Im not impressed.

Edit to add: Unless you rely strictly on friction, any mechanical retention mechanism CAN fail. No matter if its a Serpa, ALS, or thumb break snap, it CAN (and will eventualy) fail. You can either choose between a friction retention that could cause you to be disarmed by a 5YO:laugh:, or a mechanical retention that could get jammed and fail. :n00b:

And although I do own several Serpas, I do agree that the ALS is less risky than the Serpa. My beef is that Safariland is too focused on LEO traffic as they dont offer enough variety across all platforms. In other words, If you dont EDC what is issued to LEOs, good luck finding what you want. Blackhawk appears to have the modularity down so that they can build whatever you want (within reason). Apparently not so with Safariland.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom