Family Indoor Shooting Range (AKA Popguns)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Greenfield, Indiana
    I have been working for Popguns / Family Indoor shooting range off, and on for the past nine plus years. I am usually the first to defend the shop on these forums when someone has an issue with the shop. My wife, and I have been suffering from a bug that that prevented us from going to our full time job over the past few days. Today I woke up still feeling like ****. I attempted to call Terry (Manager) to let him know I wouldn't be in. I then called Mike (CEO) to let him know that I wouldn't be in. Both phone went to voice mail. Here is the conversation I had with Mike via text message.

ME: Do you have Charlie working this morning? I have a fever of 99.4, and if I can't get it to break, I don't think I will be in!

MIKE: No Charlie today. 99.4 come on J that is one point over normal.

ME: One point or not I still feel like ****!

MIKE: K

ME: I just drugged myself up. If I feel better I'll come in!

MIKE: If you can not be productive stay home. I do not need a body. I need sales people.

ME: Honestly I wouldn't be any help to you today!

MIKE: Just take the rest of your life off I will cover, and find a replacement!

ME: WOW!

Later in a new thread titled "Confessions of a former gun shop employee" I will be divulging my observations as to why the shop operates the way it does.

Last edited:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    First, I don't know you, or where you work, or really anything but what is in your post. From what I've read I kind of have to agree with your boss here. If you can't do the job, you don't need to be there.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    First, I don't know you, or where you work, or really anything but what is in your post. From what I've read I kind of have to agree with your boss here. If you can't do the job, you don't need to be there.

If you ask me, having 1 sick person coming in and putting your customers and other staff at risk getting sick is reckless and plain stupid.

:twocents:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Umm are you in middle management? This is one of the problems in the US now a days...kill yourself for a company that chould care less about you! I'd much rather have him stay home then get even more people sick!!!!

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    The accepted normal temp is 98.6. This is going to get interesting. :popcorn:

That's true in the textbooks :) My normal temp is 97.4, so with a temp of 99.4, I usually feel like crap too. Besides, if he's sick, I sure don't want to catch it! I've always hated when coworkers feel the need to be a hero and come in when they're sick-- next thing you know, everybody has what they did.

Edited to add : Is FISR/Popgun's the shop everyone refers to here as "Pop's" or is that a differnet place?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    That's true in the textbooks :) My normal temp is 97.4, so with a temp of 99.4, I usually feel like crap too. Besides, if he's sick, I sure don't want to catch it! I've always hated when coworkers feel the need to be a hero and come in when they're sick-- next thing you know, everybody has what they did.

Edited to add : Is FISR/Popgun's the shop everyone refers to here as "Pop's" or is that a differnet place?

Same place. My temp normally runs low as well and if I get to 99 I'm not feeling to well. I just put the accepted norm there because in the OPs text there was a statement that 99.4 was just "1 point" above normal. Believe me I know the "norm" is different for everyone, I've been taking temps for 23 years now. ;)

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Perhaps Mike is just venting because he has to work in the shop today. He is known for this type of behavior when I worked for him full time when asking for a weekend off. I put up with to much of this crap for to long. I am over it!

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Same place. My temp normally runs low as well and if I get to 99 I'm not feeling to well. I just put the accepted norm there because in the OPs text there was a statement that 99.4 was just "1 point" above normal. Believe me I know the "norm" is different for everyone, I've been taking temps for 23 years now. ;)

Thanks, Colt-- I always figured it was the same place, but I wasn't sure.

Well, I know YOU knew, just offering clarification for anyone else who might think it's written in stone :)

I only went into FISR/Popguns once, I wanted to buy a few things and shoot a gun I was considering buying. There were no lanes open on the range and the guy told me I'd have a long wait. Nobody there was particularly welcoming or helpful with my questions, so I decided to neither buy the stuff nor visit again.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    NP Elsie! I've been to Pops twice. The first time the people behind the counter saw me come in, looked my way once and then went back to stuffing their faces with lunch and talking amongst themselves. I didn't think to much about it and just thought they were trying to finish lunch and then maybe they'd ask me if I needed anything. WRONG! They finished eating and then just continued with their banter about which Glock was better and why. I poked around a bit longer and then left. The 2nd time I went the shop was a little busy but an older gentleman did see me looking in the cases and came over and asked if I needed any help. After I told him I was just browsing he said no problem and to let him know if I wanted to look at anything. The younger guys were BSing amongst themselves again. One interesting thing I noticed both times I was there was that the employees all had 2 or 3 guns on! The older guy appeared unarmed. Some had a gun on at 3-4 o'clock and one in the SOB and one guy had a gun in those spots as well as a 3rd in a drop down leg holster! I figured it must be a pretty rough area and split post haste! ;)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have been working for Popguns / Family Indoor shooting range off, and on for the past nine plus years. I am usually the first to defend the shop on these forums when someone has an issue with the shop. My wife, and I have been suffering from a bug that that prevented us from going to our full time job over the past few days. Today I woke up still feeling like ****. I attempted to call Terry (Manager) to let him know I wouldn't be in. I then called Mike (CEO) to let him know that I wouldn't be in. Both phone went to voice mail. Here is the conversation I had with Mike via text message.

ME: Do you have Charlie working this morning? I have a fever of 99.4, and if I can't get it to break, I don't think I will be in!

MIKE: No Charlie today. 99.4 come on J that is one point over normal.

ME: One point or not I still feel like ****!

MIKE: K

ME: I just drugged myself up. If I feel better I'll come in!

MIKE: If you can not be productive stay home. I do not need a body. I need sales people.

ME: Honestly I wouldn't be any help to you today!

MIKE: Just take the rest of your life off I will cover, and find a replacement!

ME: WOW!

Later in a new thread titled "Confessions of a former gun shop employee" I will be divulging my observations as to why the shop operates the way it does.

So were you fired?

This could be good---of the epic variety.

Both of the above.

OP quoted for posterity. Or posteriority. Whichever.

-J-

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Ok class...we are going to stay after till EVERYONE understands.

1. Pops Guns SUCKS
    2. Mike is a D-bag
    3. The manager A munch is a bigger D-bag
    4. Can't wait for BGF to open their range
    5. Pops SUCKS

I hate to small businesses fail, but I hope Pops fails and fails mightily.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I don't like Pop Gun's, I don't support their business, because of the employees (mike/terry), I think you got screwed and should be treated better than that.

However, I still think you have no business drying out their dirty laundry on this forum. Trust me, I like a good story as much as the next feller, but this is in bad taste. Just my opinion.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Ok class...we are going to stay after till EVERYONE understands.

1. Pops Guns SUCKS
    2. Mike is a D-bag
    3. The manager A munch is a bigger D-bag
    4. Can't wait for BGF to open their range
    5. Pops SUCKS

I hate to small businesses fail, but I hope Pops fails and fails mightily.

Interesting concept. If pop's stays open they push their customers sprinting to BGF and Bradis, and so forth. If they close, their customers walk there anyhow. Either way.... same result.

Top Bottom