• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    A post about gun vaults got me thinking (sometimes a dangerous thing!). Has anyone here ever considered a false wall to conceal guns & valuables? I've kicked the idea around since a burglary a few years back, but haven't gotten serious about it yet.

Opinions?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I see lots of false walls. More common than you think in older homes. I would look at closet area if you are doing to make one the ones I have seen in the closet are better concealed.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    We have a house that was built around 89-90 and it looks like someone had this idea when they finished the basement. I have looked in and around it and there is no reason other than hiding something that this little "room" was built. I have measured it and the opening and much to my enjoyment :rockwoot:looks like a fire and waterproof gun safe will fit perfectly in it:D. But my thought is if you can have a false wall or room that a safe can fit in have the best of both worlds:yesway:

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    False walls are not much defense. Most GOOD thieves know how to find them. Better to have a GOOD safe bolted down. I used Redheds into my foundation concrete

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    False walls are not much defense. Most GOOD thieves know how to find them. Better to have a GOOD safe bolted down. I used Redheds into my foundation concrete

I could have your redhead empty in less than 10 mins.... and I'm not even a good thief.

Best Idea is a false wall over a gunsafe. Or a disguised gun safe.

hunt4fun

Retired
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    North Salem
    Years ago when I started buying guns, I bought one of the double door Stack-On models. Its bolted to the wall and has two metal rods for each door, one goes up and one goes down. It's not a safe, but it would take time to get into it. I mentioned the idea of a safe to the wife yesterday. Let's just say that I got a less than excited response.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond

I could have your redhead empty in less than 10 mins.... and I'm not even a good thief.

Best Idea is a false wall over a gunsafe. Or a disguised gun safe.

You must be outstanding since a "redhead" is a anchor...

I have removed large sections of reinforced concrete trying to pull a redhead with an overhead 5 ton crane, makes a very loud pop, kinda like an explosion. (had to prove a point to an over educated engineer on the strength of straight line pull of a 7/8 Redhead.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I'll likely use a closet if I ever pursue the idea. As far as unfinished projects- husbands consider them as "job security".

Haha, then my husband is set for quite a few years. Seriously, though, I don't really find the idea terrible. Our little house doesn't really have the right spot for a gun safe, so a closet might just work. Now the false wall itself is easy, but does anyone have any ideas for making the new cavity more gun safe-like?

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    You must be outstanding since a "redhead" is a anchor...

I have removed large sections of reinforced concrete trying to pull a redhead with an overhead 5 ton crane, makes a very loud pop, kinda like an explosion. (had to prove a point to an over educated engineer on the strength of straight line pull of a 7/8 Redhead.

Umm...I think he was thinking of the Bass Pro Shop's store brand name which is also redhead. :@ya:

Greg

Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    Yeah redhead anchors are ok............ but id rather use A-7 epoxy with Grade B-7 structual rod.

Have fun trying to pull that outta anything.:D

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    Built one in my old home along with a floor safe for daily use. Had friends over to try and find it and they never did. It was fun watching them try. Showed them in the end and they built one also along with safe rooms. Just get creative and think before you do and use good materials. The buyer of my home was amazed.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I prefer my safe.Its bolted to the wall and the floor.I also have a home alarm system.I think alarm signs in your yard are even a good deturent,I think when thieves see one they move on.

unless they really want in.....if they know you have something they want, certain weapons generally, that won't stop em....I'm considering building a locking bookshelf to hide the opening to my closet at some point, then get a 24gun safe(bout as big as I can get upstairs) and then a work bench to do work and cleaning on.

Both of the other houses on our homestead have hidden rooms, the oldest has basically a vault in its basement, go figure the guy who built it in the late 1800's owned a bank...lol

Top Bottom