• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    By the same reasoning then a revolver should not be carried for SD. The flash from the cylinder gap will blind you.:n00b:

:dunno:
    I'm just confused as to how the flash out the ports in a Glock is worse than the flash from any other pistol, ported or otherwise.

Does anyone know of any real world testing done on muzzle flash and the effect on night vision?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'm just confused as to how the flash out the ports in a Glock is worse than the flash from any other pistol, ported or otherwise.

A ported barrel creates more muzzle flash, and because the gas jets from the ports are vertical, that flash is directly in your line of sight. The muzzle flash alone is more diffuse and radiates in all directions (i.e. a fireball).

I'm not saying that the flash from a ported gun will blind you, but it will be brighter than a non-ported gun (the type of ports and your ammo play a role here, as well... got flash retardant?), and thus will make it harder to recover your night vision afterward. That being said, my primary concern would be with keeping the ports oriented away from my face/body when shooting from retention.

Have you done any shooting (with a ported or non-ported gun) in low or reduced light?

Last edited:

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I have two ported pistols and one ported revolver.

To me, the "flash" is a non-issue. I've experimented with it several times.

People, it just isn't that bright, no matter what a single photograph shows or doesn't show.

I cannot concieve firing my handgun in near total darkness, anyway. Even in a defensive situation. How will you determine what and where your target is, and who else is in your line of fire?

That's why I always try to carry a good flashlight.

To each his own. Everyone should use whatever they are comfortable with. Not that big of a deal.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i do believe that shooter521 has the gist of it. shooting a ported pistol from retention can ruin your day. and your shirt. hehe. as to the flash, well with the proper ammo the flash is minimal. it is there, but maybe not overtly visible. if you load ammo to make efficient use of the ports, or a compensator, then the flash WILL be visible, even in daylight, and at night? yes, it will modify your night vision.

TheLoneRaider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    glock.jpg

I can shoot 200 rounds and the ports are the only thing dirty. The slide doesnt get any residue on it. I didnt like the factory ported glocks. The ports out front helped more to reduce recoil.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    to build on what Shooter521 and obijohn said, would you want to be shooting in a Self-Defense position like this?

DayTwo_097-1.jpg

look where is face is, compared to the gun.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    to build on what Shooter521 and obijohn said, would you want to be shooting in a Self-Defense position like this?

DayTwo_097-1.jpg

Or this?
    shooter_retention.jpg
    P1010989.jpg

Now granted, you can cant the pistol outboard a bit when shooting from retention to avoid the blast effects (also a good idea to prevent the cycling slide from getting caught on clothing, gear or skin), but what you train to do on a static range may not be possible in a dynamic situation.

My :twocents:

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    A ported barrel creates more muzzle flash, and because the gas jets from the ports are vertical, that flash is directly in your line of sight. The muzzle flash alone is more diffuse and radiates in all directions (i.e. a fireball).

I'm not saying that the flash from a ported gun will blind you, but it will be brighter than a non-ported gun (the type of ports and your ammo play a role here, as well... got flash retardant?), and thus will make it harder to recover your night vision afterward. That being said, my primary concern would be with keeping the ports oriented away from my face/body when shooting from retention.

Have you done any shooting (with a ported or non-ported gun) in low or reduced light?

I have and carry frequently a 23 C. Yes there is more flash directed upwards (however not vertically). This is a non-issue unless you shooting with a powder that burns bright and white (golden sabers). Most other SD rounds burn more red and will not negatively affect your vision to a great extent IMO. Every pistol puts a flash out at night where the shooter is looking and unless it is of the blinding-white-light variety the ports dont make a big difference in low light, at least from what I've experienced.
    I have done IDPA matches with my G23 (not for a score obviously) that involved close to the body shooting at a target at arms distance...I honestly didnt notice anything more than a blast of air and sound pressure blowing up my hair...no burning or anything like that. Even if there was some kind of damaging blast coming from the ports in an actual life/death situation I personally dont think you would realize it, untill you look at the holes burned in your shirt. Of course this probably also depends on the powder being used. Next time I get out to a range that I can do some retention shooting Ill pay more attention to the extra blast and post it on here.

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the input guys. I can see how blast could be an issue especially if you have trained in maintaining the vertical alignment of the gun when shooting from retention (0'-2').

The revolver question still bugs me. Has anyone done any retention firing with a revolver? What about the side blast? I understand that there is much less gas volume than a gaping barrel port, but wouldn't there still be an effect? Especially if you were to sub in a SP101 in .357 in any of the above examples.

kilo11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Avon,IN
    I have shot my 23C many times in the dark just to see what happens.

The "blinding" flash simply isn't there. Internet lore.

Your front sight WILL get dirty. Mine hasn't melted yet.

I have had a G23C for 6 years now. The flash from the ports, or should I say the fire jets, are bright,and they do shoot about 12in. off the top of the gun. However this will be dependent on the load used, as more powerful loads are gonna have more blast. In the dark and on indoor ranges, the jets are impressive, and bright!! The concussion indoors, or in a car will feel like a flashbang went off. The jets are a non factor on outdoor ranges, unless it's at night. Don't get me wrong, the C models do their job very well and they tend to keep the muzzle down on target. Just remember you won't be able to shoot close to the body with these models, and I wouldn't suggest using them for self defense or home defense either. As far as the front sight getting dirty. Depending on how much you shoot, it will get dirty after 100-150rounds or so, but it's nothing you can't wipe off with a solvent. The front sight will not melt off unless your doing some kind of non-stop 1000 round shoot off, and even then I doubt it.

If you want a compensated model for fun or competition, but also wish you could run it for self defense. Just get another barrel for it without the ports for SD.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I have had a G23C for 6 years now. The flash from the ports, or should I say the fire jets, are bright,and they do shoot about 12in. off the top of the gun. However this will be dependent on the load used, as more powerful loads are gonna have more blast. In the dark and on indoor ranges, the jets are impressive, and bright!! The concussion indoors, or in a car will feel like a flashbang went off. The jets are a non factor on outdoor ranges, unless it's at night. Don't get me wrong, the C models do their job very well and they tend to keep the muzzle down on target. Just remember you won't be able to shoot close to the body with these models, and I wouldn't suggest using them for self defense or home defense either. As far as the front sight getting dirty. Depending on how much you shoot, it will get dirty after 100-150rounds or so, but it's nothing you can't wipe off with a solvent. The front sight will not melt off unless your doing some kind of non-stop 1000 round shoot off, and even then I doubt it.

If you want a compensated model for fun or competition, but also wish you could run it for self defense. Just get another barrel for it without the ports for SD.

A 23 C is a perfectly acceptable gun for carry, home defense...whatever. The flash is not blinding and the "jets" are not insanely noticeable, and especially wont be in an actual SD shooting, when you'll be lucky to know how many shots you fired...Here take a look..

YouTube - Glock 22C night muzzle flash

kilo11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Avon,IN
    OOOkkayy:dunno:. You kinda just proved my point. I watched pretty decent muzzle flash come out of that gun, and that was outside. Can u imagine what it would be like inside! Ur gonna be seeing stars and ur hearing will be gone. I know I don't have to tell what will happen when u fire that thing from a retention position with some hot loads (which golden sabers are not). I still have scars on my hand from my G23C's ports. You could certainly use this weapon for self defense, but it has some drawbacks.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    Not only will the flash screw with your night vision more than usual, but if you are shooting the gun close to the body (i.e. a position of retention), the jets of hot gas from the comp ports can be... distracting... to say the least.

That, and if you shoot the gun enough, the plastic front sight will melt and/or come off. I know, I've seen me do it. :): Steel sights are a must, IME.

AMEN ! nothing like getting a flash burn from holding the weapon to close to your body, especially if it hits your face, I did this with a Springfield
    V-10C , not fun to say the least.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    There are drawbacks to compensated pistols. They can, however, be considered for carry and home defense. Try it and see how it works for you. I prefer compensated pistols. Extended ported barrels, rather.

Top Bottom