• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I've heard the compensation flash can be a problem in a dark defensive scenario. I don't know for sure, but that is what I have heard.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I also heard this. Something about the flash causing your pupils to constrict which lets less light in and making everything appear darker until your eyes dialate back to adjust for the dark setting.

Not only will the flash screw with your night vision more than usual, but if you are shooting the gun close to the body (i.e. a position of retention), the jets of hot gas from the comp ports can be... distracting... to say the least.

That, and if you shoot the gun enough, the plastic front sight will melt and/or come off. I know, I've seen me do it. :): Steel sights are a must, IME.

teh Nub

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Clark Co
    I have a 23c and don't remember there being a bad flash at night shooting 180gr blazer brass. I believe there was more flash from by buddies unported Taurus 24/7 9mm shooting Winchester White Box.

45CalJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I picked up a 17C for a good price awhile back. While using the compensated barrel, my sites stayed pretty clean, but cleaning the inside lip of the comp ports on the slides was a never ending battle. Nothing serious, unless your alittle OCD like me.

I ended up buying a LW non comp'd barrel due to my wife preferring that gun as a 'nightstand' piece. I just didn't want her burning herself with hot gasses/crap if she had to discharge it in very close proximity to her body.

One thing I will note, while shooting it with the comp'd barrel, it was loud as *$#@, especially for only being a 9mm.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Are there any cons to getting the compensated Glock models? I've heard over time they can darken your sight... any truth to this?

Thanks

All useful information so far, but I for one would not go the "Compensated Glock" way. ( Especially if you intend to carry this Glock for self defense ).

TK :ingo:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    You could always use the ports to burn the attacker in a self defense situation. Also, if you have to throw it at them you now have a HOT projectile as well.

jimmyton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Got a G17C. It's a real pleasure to shoot, though it is not a carry gun. The front sights will dirty after awhile, but if kept clean its no big deal. In my opinion, in a self defense situation, if used correctly, the situation will be done and over well before the sights are dirty. As far as the "flash" at night goes, haven't noticed it to be an issue.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    It does seem to have more flash.
    The hotter the load, the more reduction up to 30% (if I remember correctly)
    Night sight will get ruined if fired a lot, I Think that's why they don't come
    from the factory already installed.

a1gunny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    I would agree that such would not be a good choice for a carry gun. For simple shooting fun, it will help manage the recoil. As for the blast affecting night vision... yes it will.

<--------------- example

Proud Father of a United States Airman
    NRA Patron Life Member

Last edited:

acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    As for the blast affecting night vision... yes it will.

<--------------- example

Awesome picture. I have no input on the glock/compensator issue whatsoever, however, whenever we fly at night, our general rule is no bright lights for approx. 30 minutes before takeoff. It can take up to that long for the eyes to adjust and for the rods to become fully utilized. The flash blindness from a flashlight, landing light, or flash of lightning can be a real issue, and you can be blinded instantly and for a while afterwards.

My :twocents:

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    well according to the ninja video that was just on here a few days ago...it is actually a flute and those are ninja cutouts that when played will steer a bullet in a certain direction!

Top Bottom