• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    So INGO what's your take on this; should one buy more factory ammo for storing or more reloading components?? I see the benefit of components due to being able to buy more on a budget than you could factory but, factory would be more consistent and reliable? And would you think storing a lot of HP is good or just more FMJ?

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    I'm really new to reloading/prepping, but my opinion would lean toward a mixture of factory and components as well as projectile types depending on your needs. I'm picking up factory ammo to build up my brass. Trying to keep an even mix of hp/fmj for practice.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    Depends on what you have now and how many different loads you need. I look at x number of factory/loaded rounds on hand and enough components to reload those y number of times. Since many different loads use common components, keeping some unloaded components gives you some future flexibility.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Reloading components. As much as you can get with a balance of made ammo and components. Look at how hard it is to get ammo now and imagine now your trading canned food or bottled water to get ammo to protect yourself. If you have what you need to make your own it will go a long long way.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Wow , that's a question that needs a little back ground... are we talking auto loaders only? Many ding up the brass so bad that reloading is often questionable . Revolvers and manually operated rifles lend themselves more readily to reloading. A 30-30 can be loaded with hard lead and gas-checks, with little loss of velocity. There's a lot of variables that come into play, but in the long run reloading usually pays off.
    I just bought a1000 primers for $38 , a pound of powder is usually less than $30. If you can scrounge up the lead, and lube it [beeswax + graphite in a pinch] you can load 1000 rounds
    of .38 special...providing you save your brass. I'd suggest you buy a manual and look into it yourself, but for $200-$400 you could get enough tools to load for your lifetime , and your kids.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I would have to disagree that factory loads are more consistent and reliable than handloads.
    With reloading, you are the QC, not some machine.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    A small amount of factory but primarily components is my take. With factory ammo you have a single, fixed loading and that's it. With components you have the ability to tailor the load for its intended purpose. Take it a step further into casting your own lead bullets and now you have a stock of lead that can be made into any diameter bullet you want, including buckshot...

A well diversified inventory will be king. Substitution for a well-diversified inventory is an inventory of raw materials plus the ability to make those into the desired result (like bullet casting).

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As great as it is to have reloading components on hand, there may not be time to sit around and carefully reload. My stash ammo is factory but my hobby, enjoyment, competition ammo is reloaded. Not that I have ANY quality control issues with my reloads. There is no need for Sierra MatchKings in carefully match prepared brass with precisely trickled powder charges for general defensive use. I also will probably not be using any 635 fps hollow base wadcutter target loads for any other purpose than 25 yard target shooting in the .357's or the .44's.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I actually do both, I watch prices (which I have not purchased much ammo this past year because of) and you can usually find 1000 rd box of federal .223 for under $400.00. at $.40 it is worth buying and not have to deal with loading. However that being said I have Lots (and I mean LOTS) of Brass, Bullets, Powder and Primers (I have reloaded easily over 1000 rds of 9mm just to keep me ocupied this last year) because at some point down the road you will run out of ammo if you can not remanufacture it for your self or other. I even stock calibers that I do not currently own like 40 S&W just for the ability to trade if needed. My answer to your question would be "Do Both", and in most cases I would bet that the reloaded ammo will out perform the factory ammo any day of the week.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Loaded ammo is the objective. Buying factory loaded ammo meets the objective most directly and simply, when its available and perhaps at a slightly higher cost. Reloading components are just a step toward meeting the objective, are "raw components" and are useless until assembled into loaded ammunition. So don't consider yourself to be "prepared" (this is a preparedness forum) until you possess quality loaded ammo.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Buying factory loaded ammo meets the objective most directly and simply, when its available and perhaps at a slightly higher cost.
    Where are you buying your ammo? I'd like to get factory ammo where you're getting it...

On a serious note, factory ammo often run 50-500% higher than reloaded ammo. I wouldn't call that "slightly higher" cost. I would call that "much higher" cost.

Having a well balanced mix of factory ammo, reloaded ammo, and components to load more ammo is, IMHO, the best you can have.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Loaded ammo is the objective. Buying factory loaded ammo meets the objective most directly and simply, when its available and perhaps at a slightly higher cost. Reloading components are just a step toward meeting the objective, are "raw components" and are useless until assembled into loaded ammunition. So don't consider yourself to be "prepared" (this is a preparedness forum) until you possess quality loaded ammo.

So if I read this right, for example if I obtain the knowledge and know how as well as the components to grow food all the way through preserving instead of purchasing "Factory" canned food, I'm not prepared?

This is a preparedness forum to discuss and learn knowledge from each other, you can buy all the newest and hottest preparedness items to feel prepared, but I rather take the route of my grandfather and tought to me by my father to be able to live and survive by experience and knowledge, not store bought crap. Having the raw components to reload ammo is just as important as having seeds, eventually you are going to run out of "factory food" and "factory Ammo".

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    My input is thus: Buying ammo is like buying fish at the market, and reloading is like learning to fish.

I used to troll all over the net looking for the best ammo prices, trying different brands, buying in bulk, and all that. Now that I reload I just pass on all that, and have no desire to spend another penny on cruddy factory ammo (except for SD ammo, which I already have plenty of, and never shoot). My experience has already taught me that my own loads are better than factory ammo, and are somewhat of a renewable resource. I'm not saving a lot, maybe 25% or more off factory ammo pricing, but the peace of mind is liberating. To anyone who is on the fence about reloading, I say do it, but start by reading the Lyman's manual.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I have collected plenty of ammo however, kids are a bit older and were more apt to shoot more this year then in the past. I started reloading this year and have to say having a good balance of reloads and fac. Ammo is good to have. I also agree there is a degree of improved accuracy by matching your reloads to barrel.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    As to answer your question. Have a good supply of both. The factory ammo is ready to go and gives you brass and also it can be traded for other things that you may need. I keep both, but I have much more loading stuff than factory ammo.

Under stand that reloaded ammo is more accurate and just as reliable as what you can buy because it is made for the given gun. My son has just gotten back into reloading and came down to load some rounds for his rifles because he knows that I have a bunch of powders and the tools to do it. I loaded some mid loads using five powders for each rifle. His factory load was Federal match. He fired five rounds in each group. They all beat the factory load. The best load was about .75". That was the load we picked up powder for. He was very pleased with the loads.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    As to answer your question. Have a good supply of both. The factory ammo is ready to go and gives you brass and also it can be traded for other things that you may need. I keep both, but I have much more loading stuff than factory ammo.

Under stand that reloaded ammo is more accurate and just as reliable as what you can buy because it is made for the given gun. My son has just gotten back into reloading and came down to load some rounds for his rifles because he knows that I have a bunch of powders and the tools to do it. I loaded some mid loads using five powders for each rifle. His factory load was Federal match. He fired five rounds in each group. They all beat the factory load. The best load was about .75". That was the load we picked up powder for. He was very pleased with the loads.
    This ^^^^.
    I shoot almost exclusively reloaded ammo for practice , especially in my handguns. There is no cheaper way to do it, in the quantities it takes to get 'good' and stay there...
    However, there is a sense of security in having a stock of brand new factory ammo that has not been stressed by the rigors of repeated reloads...or dinged up by repeated firings.
    How much factory ammo? How much can you transport. Or carry on your back....this question also may determine what type of ammo/gun you buy. 200 rounds of .308 or 300 rounds of .223...

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    AR dude has the right idea. Granted stuff like the 7.62x39 and 22lr don't lend themselves to reloading because of lack of brass cased 7.62x39 and trying to reload rimfire primers. But if red dawn happened tmw are you going to be throwing handfuls of unloaded components at your adversary?

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Does the OP have all the equipment needed to reload? His comment on "not as accurate as factory rounds" makes me wonder. If you are a reloader, I see no reason to go purchase ammo already made, as long as you can find the components you need to produce the ammo yourself.

Almost all of my amo is reloaded. There are a few calibers that I have that I do not yet reload, for one reason or another. The calibers that I do reload for I have a set ammount of loaded inventory, then enough components to replace that set amount.

The cost savings is significant, and with winter coming on, I have plenty of time to devote to such endeavors, before I get my spring projects started.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Interesting discussion.

My thoughts.

Buying factory ammo is good to provide you with a fast supply of ammo and supplies you with brass.
    Buying primers is a good investment, even if you don't reload you can trade for items.
    Buying powder is a good investment, even if you don't reload you can trade them.
    Buying bullets is a good investment, same as powder, can be traded.
    Buying new or once fired brass is also a good investment and like primers, powder and bullets can be traded.
    If your into longer range and accuracy hand loads for your particular rifle can improve things.

Brass does have a life span from my experience, eventually you won't want to keep reloading it.

Having lead molds and bulk lead is also a good idea.

The investment in a press, dies and such also worthwile. Especially if you have a group to help spread the cost out.

Personally I have some of what I would like to have in the way of stocked factory ammo and buy components when I find them.

TJ

Top Bottom