Factory 300 Blackout load for deer hunting ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    Hey guys I did a search and found a thread from a couple years back but was wondering if anything has changed since then. I am planning on using a 10.5 in AR unsuppressed pistol this year and I'm not sure of a good factory load that would be ideal for this platform.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    If you're talking about Indiana, then no 300 BLK load is legal. There was a proposal to change the regulations to allow a wide range of loads but that was not adopted for 2015/2016. Of the common AR platform rounds, .458 SOCOM is legal.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    If you're talking about Indiana, then no 300 BLK load is legal. There was a proposal to change the regulations to allow a wide range of loads but that was not adopted for 2015/2016. Of the common AR platform rounds, .458 SOCOM is legal.

Wrong.

In the pistol version, it is legal, but in the possibly more accurate rifle version, it becomes inherently more dangerous and is in fact illegal.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    [QUOTE

In the pistol version, it is legal, but in the possibly more accurate rifle version, it becomes inherently more dangerous and is in fact illegal.[/QUOTE]

Could you clarify this statement ?

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Yep completely legal in pistol format. As for ammo I have no idea. I personally would just look for something in a soft point that has relatively flat trajectory for my shooting distance and make sure it patterns well. One round is not the answer to everyone's firearm as we all know.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    [QUOTE

In the pistol version, it is legal, but in the possibly more accurate rifle version, it becomes inherently more dangerous and is in fact illegal.

Could you clarify this statement ?[/QUOTE]

In pistol configuration, the 300aac round meets the legal clarification for a deer legal round in indiana.
    Once you add the stock and fire it from a rifle, it is too small and does not meet the restrictions of rifle cartridges for deer.

My purple was intended to show that it is extremely silly for it to be legal out of one gun but somehow more dangerous for people when fired out of another (which is generally more accurate and in real life, probably ly safer due to that)

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    [QUOTE

Could you clarify this statement ?[/QUOTE]

In IN, rifle calibers are legal to us in pistols, as long as they meet certain guidelines. This means you can hunt with a .243 Win or a .45-70 out of your Thompson Encore, but using those same cartridges in a rifle will get you hemmed up. Since you are using a pistol, 300 BLk is legal. Put that same 10.5 in upper on a rifle lower, and you are poaching. (You're also committing a federal felony if you don't have a $200 stamp. If feel like when I explain this I'm talking crazy talk. Unfortunately this whole mess is reality. The purple in the above post implies sarcasm. The poster was venting frustration at our crazy regulations, and the nonsensual arguments of those who support the status quo.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    Thanks for the information. I had another guy recommend the Barnes Vor-tx 110's but was not sure if he has any hunting results to base that on. I will be on the look-out for some. On a similar note would the 110 gr. Hornady TAP's be comparable to the Barnes ?

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    [QUOTE
    Could you clarify this statement ?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    In for recommendations. I also plan to hunt with a 300blk pistol this year. Was looking at 125grain smk's or hornady projectiles.

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    I'm running 110 Sierra hpv over 19.4 gr. Of imr 4227. Never deer hunted with it ( commie bastards) but I will say it will seriously mess a yote up! One deadly round! Expands quickly and dumps it's energy quickly.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom