• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Echohim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Hello!
    I need some advice. What is the best way to do a face-to-face transaction? I'd rather meet in a public place, but that might make the public uncomfortable. However, I am more concerned about my safety. Your thoughts?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    A public parking lot, in the back is what I use. If it is a rifle, then show it in the trunk, and have a bag to cover it with for transfer. Handguns are no problem, since no one can really see them from a distance unless you wave it in the air. Just make sure its somewhere where plenty of people are around, during daylight. Stay away from college campuses ;).

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    i've got a problem. i really need to go to the bathroom, but i went to the truck stop and they're 'out of order' should i go in front of the building and do it, or go behind?
    just do what NETSECSVC said.

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Hello!
    I need some advice. What is the best way to do a face-to-face transaction? I'd rather meet in a public place, but that might make the public uncomfortable. However, I am more concerned about my safety. Your thoughts?

In public, like a gas station or Walmart parking lot. Who cares about making others uncomfortable during a firearms transaction? You have commerce to take care of, take care of it. If you are concerned with safety, take along a friend for the ride and make sure you have on your EDC.

Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    The parking lot of a gun store during normal hours would work just fine. A gun shouldn't draw any extra attention.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I've done two transactions in public. One was in a Starbucks parking lot in mid day and the other was in a McDonald's parking lot at night. Both went smooth nobody even cared about what we were doing.

I think I was more worried that people would think we were exchanging drugs or something than firearms!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The Marsh parking lot has worked for me. :dunno:

Gun ranges are also a great place. No one bats an eye, and you can try out your purchase (maybe even before money changes hands).
    :spend:
    :ar15:
    :rockwoot:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Keep in mind:

Many gun shops don't care to have private transfers done on their property.

One reason can include: The appearance of impropriety / straw sales by said gun shop should someone be observing

Another good reason is that most all shops offer to do transfers for a nominal fee.

By doing a transfer on their property but not utilizing "them" for the transfer, they kind of see it as a small slap in the face.

MY advice: Walmart, Starbucks, Gas station, PepBoys, Burger King, Rural King, KMart, etc etc.

-J-

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    thats a great point Indy_Guy_77. The shop I worked at in MI would straight up run you out of there for selling guns in the parking lot. I also wouldnt wave it too much. You may be ok and within your right, but the cops and court will make you spend money to prove it.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    walmart parking lot has served its use for me several times.

also lowes, gander mountain.

larger lots that you can park out and away from the entry of the business so not to cause "panic" to some people. nothing like a call to police of "two people with guns outside such and such".

i agree with indy_guy_77 , a gun shop lot may draw unwanted attention for all parties and the innocent shop owners. i also believe this is why alot of gun shows 'prohibit' dealing/trading outside of the building.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I actually had a member ask me to meet him in in the parking lot of a SCHOOL! :n00b:
    DO NOT DO THAT!

One of my favorite places also is a WalMart parking lot if one is nearby, to each his own though, but Wally World always is very public.
    Just use common sense. I have meet in parking lots at grocery store's, gas stations, McDonalds. Just don't either of you have it out waving it around.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have used a mall theatre, WalMart, and Bob Evans parking lots. I generally have my son go with me for back up, unless the purchase price is $50 or less. I figure no one will set me up for a $50 purchase.

In the parking lots, I always go to a less busy area of the lot. It is public but not too close to anyone. Avoids frightening the sheep. With my son nearby for back up I think it works well.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Nowadays it's awfully easy to take a snapshot of a guy's drivers license with your smartphone... print that off and keep it in the gun safe for a few years just in case something comes up down the road. A buddy of mine had a gun stolen (20ga pump) by a farmhand and he didn't even realize it for the 6 month period up until the ATF showed up with a warrant. The guy had held up a bank with this 20ga and had a previous felony conviction... so they wanted to talk to him about his selling of the gun. He had reciepts and ID photos of all guns he'd bought/sold over the previous three years so they didn't stick around long.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Nowadays it's awfully easy to take a snapshot of a guy's drivers license with your smartphone... print that off and keep it in the gun safe for a few years just in case something comes up down the road. A buddy of mine had a gun stolen (20ga pump) by a farmhand and he didn't even realize it for the 6 month period up until the ATF showed up with a warrant. The guy had held up a bank with this 20ga and had a previous felony conviction... so they wanted to talk to him about his selling of the gun. He had reciepts and ID photos of all guns he'd bought/sold over the previous three years so they didn't stick around long.

Yea, that shouldn't cause a problem:rolleyes:

I don't think you will find many folks that will let you take a photo of their license. I know for SURE you wont take one of mine. If that is a deal breaker than so be it.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital

:n00b:

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Pick a park bench in a busy park, make sure you are wearing a fedora and dark sunglasses so they cant see our eyes. You be waiting with a valise full of cash. I will bring the handgun you want to purchase in a matching valise. I will place my valise next to yours and sit down on the bench for one minute and forty seconds. At that time I will stand up and take your bag with the money leaving the bag with the handgun behind. No words need to be exchanged, just a simple tip of the hat will do as I walk away. Remain seated for another 5 minutes enjoying the beautiful weather before walking away with your new purchase.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I've never had anyone balk at letting me hold that information privately, I have 16-18 copies from the last five years including a handful of members of this site. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, I understand the privacy concerns, but I haven't ran into anyone yet that felt it was compromising theirs given the circumstances. I offer the same info to those that I meet FTF for transactions and always hand them my business card.

Top Bottom