• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I am thinking of signing up for the next Appleseed at mcfg. My concern is my eyesight. It has been a concern since I started shooting again. With my glasses, I can clearly see my front sight and target but the rear sight is just a blur. Without the glasses I see the rear sight fine but front sight and target are really blurry.
    I do not want to use optics. Is there any tricks to help me or do the Instructors have ways to help with this issue. I know I'm not the only one!
    I want to learn to shoot better and thought this would be a good start.
    I was thinking of bringing my oldest grandson but I need to find a rifle for him as I only have one 10/22. He has spent 3 years in Marine rotc at his school so he should have a good head start on me.

Thanks, Matt

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Matt,

You'll be able to get by using the front sight focus. You actually want the rear sight and target blurry, the front sight is the critical part.
    (Homework for previous Appleseeders: What step is this?)

Let us know what shoot you will be at and I can almost guarantee a loaner rifle will be on hand.

HH

Notalentbum

Expert
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I was planning on the October 5 date at mcfg. My only concern is it is only one day. Not sure how much I'd be missing out on doing only the one day. I talked to my grandson and he says they have a .22 rifle of some kind so he's good to go.

Matt

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Cool, get registered quick though, 12 of the 15 slots are already sold!

Almost all of the instruction is done on Saturday, Sunday is practice and polish day.

HH

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The biggest prep you can do is sit on the floor with your legs crossed. Lean forward and touch the floor as far as you can ahead of your crossed feet. Do this every night to stretch the back and limber up the joints. Then stand up and get back down into position and stretch some more. Do this every day.

They will will teach you everything else, but you have to be able to get into position to make the most of it.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hawkhavn cant see jack and he still shoots irons. I would listen to that guy. He has seen some stuff and done some things.

Foots advice is a dandy too.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I was reading the thread about what to bring. It suggested a second centerfire rifle as both a backup and a different rifle to shoot. Since I will be at MCFG, will they allow non pistol caliber rifles for this event or do I have to stay with PC rifles?

Thanks, Matt

Notalentbum

Expert
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Sitting on the floor with my legs crossed, that's a good one! Even better is the jumping up and getting back down in that position!
    I think this weekend may hurt me! Old fat guys don't do well at jumping up and down.

Matt

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was reading the thread about what to bring. It suggested a second centerfire rifle as both a backup and a different rifle to shoot. Since I will be at MCFG, will they allow non pistol caliber rifles for this event or do I have to stay with PC rifles?

Thanks, Matt

Only rimfire and pistol caliber rifles are allowed at MCFG.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sitting on the floor with my legs crossed, that's a good one! Even better is the jumping up and getting back down in that position!
    I think this weekend may hurt me! Old fat guys don't do well at jumping up and down.

Matt

You may kneel instead of sitting for the 200-yard part of the AQT.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    MCFG doesnt have anywhere to shoot 200 yds do they? I've been a member for 3 years and thought 100yds is furthest out on their range. I knew they were pistol caliber only but thought I'd double check for special events such as this one.

Matt

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    The 25 meter Appleseed AQT have targets that are scaled to represent targets at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards. The second stage which represents the 200 yard target is the sitting stage. Though you will only be 25 meters away from the target, their size will represent shooting a target at 200 yards.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    It makes more sense now. One of the prep articles I read said something about having rifle zeroed at 25 meters which didnt make sense because they were talking about shooting at 100 and 200 yards.
    I got a couple slings ordered for the event.I have never used a sling so this whole deal is going to be a great learning experience.

Matt

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    It makes more sense now. One of the prep articles I read said something about having rifle zeroed at 25 meters which didnt make sense because they were talking about shooting at 100 and 200 yards.
    I got a couple slings ordered for the event.I have never used a sling so this whole deal is going to be a great learning experience.

Matt

You will have a good time. Appleseed are good folks. Odds are someone will have a loaner if something goes amiss (but it never hurts to bring a backup)

I gather MCF&G shoots in the pistol bays, on gravel. A shipping blanket, carpet remnant, or shooter's mat to soften that gravel may be handy.

Mustang380gal

Plinker
    Apr 13, 2012
    Ohio's Amish Country
    Matt,

You'll be able to get by using the front sight focus. You actually want the rear sight and target blurry, the front sight is the critical part.
    (Homework for previous Appleseeders: What step is this?)

Let us know what shoot you will be at and I can almost guarantee a loaner rifle will be on hand.

HH

4A: Keep your eye on the front sight

4B: Keep your mind on keeping the front sight on the target.

Just to whet your appetite a bit.....

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner. Thank you Mustang380gal for answering the question.
    But this begs another question, why did it take an Buckeye Rifleman to answer the question on a Hoosier gun board??? :)

HH

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am thinking of signing up for the next Appleseed at mcfg. My concern is my eyesight. It has been a concern since I started shooting again. With my glasses, I can clearly see my front sight and target but the rear sight is just a blur. Without the glasses I see the rear sight fine but front sight and target are really blurry.
    I do not want to use optics. Is there any tricks to help me or do the Instructors have ways to help with this issue. I know I'm not the only one!
    I want to learn to shoot better and thought this would be a good start.
    I was thinking of bringing my oldest grandson but I need to find a rifle for him as I only have one 10/22. He has spent 3 years in Marine rotc at his school so he should have a good head start on me.

Thanks, Matt

I am the same way. I figured that I am just too old to shoot irons so I took a scoped rifle to Appleseed and my wife shot a 10/22 with Tech Sights. At some point, she took a breather so I tried hers out.

Keep in mind that I had been shooting optics for a day and a half by now when I used hers. I shot an AQT and scored the same as one of my AQT's with optics. Then later I shot my Garand and was shocked to see I had shot a nice group with it!

So, I am warming up to the possibility that I can shoot iron sights even though I can't see the rear sight or the target! That is why NPOA is so cool to me!

On another note, if I was to get optics for my wife's 10/22 for Appleseed and other similar shoots, does anyone have any suggestions?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    I wish we saw even more of them. There is no substitute for that level of quality at that price.

Top Bottom