• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tlcmbc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Woodburn, In.
    I hope I am posting in the right forum if not forgive me. For personal defense what is the preferred way to shoot. Both eyes open, one eye closed, use front sight only, both sights, or point and shoot. I need to add I am cross eye dominant which when hunting with bow or gun I could compensate with sight adjustments. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

kch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    I'm no expert but I would say stick with what you're used too. Especially if you shoot with both eyes open. If you don't but have time to practice, I'd go that route. You can practice with your empty firearm in your house. Just holding your firearm and aiming at a light socket, or a spot on a picture, etc. You want it to get to a point where it's muscle memory and you don't have to think about it. Just my 2C.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I hope I am posting in the right forum if not forgive me. For personal defense what is the preferred way to shoot. Both eyes open, one eye closed,

The first and most important thing to do is maintain as clear and sharp focus on the front sight as possible in the given circumstances. If you can do that and still see what you need to see of the target to aim with both eyes open, that is the way to go. If you have to squint or close one eye to get there, do that. (I have to squint to bring the sight in to focus.) If you need to close an eye to achieve adequate front sight focus, close the eye.

Optimally, you would have both eyes open to maintain maximum peripheral vision. I believe you can train your eyes for this. I don't have any solid suggestions as to how. The main thing, though, is that front sight focus.

use front sight only, both sights, or point and shoot.
    This is a separate issue. This will depend on the distance to the threat, the speed and pace at which things are moving, the quickness with which you need to take the shot, etc. You need to see of the sights and target what you need to see, to make the shot you need to make.

In other words, if the agressor is 6 feet in front of you and you can make the shot without full extension with a slide alignment or body index type shot, then that's what you need to see. If you need to make a 17 yard precision shot, you'll need to have precise sight alignment and sharp front sight focus.

In short, see what you need to see to make the shot you need to make. This comes with experience.

I need to add I am cross eye dominant which when hunting with bow or gun I could compensate with sight adjustments. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

For cross eye dominant people, I will go back to the "do what you need to do to get clear front sight focus" from above. If you need to turn your head or squint an eye, do that. If you need to close an eye, do that. Practice shooting with both hands, and off both shoulders with a rifle. Find a way to get that front sight focus you need.

Past threads on cross eye dominance:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...handed_and_left_eye_dominant.html#post3769437

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/250342-cross_eye_dominate.html

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You will likely identify the threat with both eyes open and focused on the threat. Where you go from there depends on what you decide to do. If you decide shooting is your best bet the difficulty of the shot will determine what sighting method is necessary. No one method is appropriate for all situations. With practice you'll learn how little verification you can get away with to reliably get good hits.

tlcmbc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Woodburn, In.
    Wow, a lot of good advice. I will take all of it into consideration as I practice. Thank you all. Love this site, everyone is so willing to help.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I hope I am posting in the right forum if not forgive me. For personal defense what is the preferred way to shoot. Both eyes open, one eye closed, use front sight only, both sights, or point and shoot. I need to add I am cross eye dominant which when hunting with bow or gun I could compensate with sight adjustments. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Both eyes open is preferred if you can see what you need to see in terms of the sight picture in order to make a given shot. Tougher shots require a more refined sight picture with a hard focuse on the top edge of the front sight. Less difficult shots require less detailed visual information. It's a continuum.

You should do what you need to do to make the bullets go where you want them to go. If that means you have to squint one eye a little or a lot, then that's what you should do. If someday you're able to shoot as well without squinting, then good on you. The key is getting the hits, not trying to adhere to preferred standard.

Cross eye dominance is less of an issue for handguns. Just move the gun a little to the side in order to get it front of the eye you need to use. You should learn to shoot with either hand, so one or the other is going to require you to do this, unless you're one of those people who can use either eye.

Top Bottom