• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    So I'm curious as to what people who wear glasses use for eye protection when shooting? I tend to just wear my regular glasses which I know is not the greatest idea, so help me out.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I do the same thing when I dont wear contacts. The do make prescription safety glasses if you want to go that route. There is also lovely goggles to put over your glasses!!

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    When you get your next lenses ask if they can be make of high index plastic. This is the stuff safety glasses are made of. I've had most of my lenses made of it.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    I recently purchased the ESS Goggles - Protective Goggles - Ballistic Goggles - Eye Protection system (clear, green & yellow) with inserts for my bifocals. They are okay; about a week after I got them, I had the chance to try on the NYX system. The NYX really fit me much better. I've shot in them once; IDPA match in June, wore them about 5 hours. First time I've shot in sunglasses (had the green lens in). My eyes are not very sun sensitive, but shooting witht he sunglasses did seem to help.

Good Luck with the search. -- Greg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I bought a pair of the ESS Ice glasses, too. I got the wire-framed insert to hold the Rx lenses.

I've had them for almost a month now...haven't been shooting yet. I have worn them as regular sunglasses while driving, doing yard work, washing car, etc etc. I think the could quite possibly be the worst-looking sunglasses to have ever been on my head. (And that's saying something, because I used to own/wear a pair of Oakley Sub Zeros VINTAGE USED!!! OAKLEY SUB ZERO CARBON FIBER $149.99 on eBay!)

AND the Rx insert doesn't fit leve/even within the nosepiece. They're heavy with the additional Rx lenses. And they sit far away from your face because there needs to be extra room for the insert.

-J-

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My eyeglasses are safety lenses in safety frames.

Depending on firearm, there are times I will wear goggles over my glasses. I have a couple of .22LRs that like to spit at me!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I use oakley flack jackets, I have dark and clear lenses.
    If you are military or government check out US Standard Issue
    Half price oakley stuff, including prescription glasses, gloves, boots, backpacks, watches.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    A few months ago I bought a pair of shooting glasses from the NRA online store that are made to go over glasses. They're not the most stylish glasses around but they get the job done.

TempusFugit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    There are simple plastic side shields that slip over the earpieces thus mimicking safety glasses. As long as you have good lenses, you're good to go.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So I'm curious as to what people who wear glasses use for eye protection when shooting? I tend to just wear my regular glasses which I know is not the greatest idea, so help me out.

You might want to look at some prescription eye wear from someone like Wiley. Us bikers are always looking for good glasses/goggles with Poly carbonite lens. Wiley makes em for the military I do believe.....the SG-1 model maybe?

I am looking at getting a pair I can shoot in, as well use for riding my motorcycle (so they need to seal around the eye socket).

Top Bottom