• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Anyone here using a extended slide stop on your 1911? After a trip to the range yesterday I realized I might need to install a extended slide stop on my 1911. I have small hands and thats why I love the 1911. Full size gun with a small grip that I feel comfortable with. But everytime I changed mags I had to totally adjust my grip on the gun to be able to release the slide stop. With a extended slide stop I wouldnt have to adjust my grip at all.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    You should use your weak hand to pull back the slide. In the event of an adrenaline rush or injury the bigger muscles work better than the smaller ones.

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I'm right handed. So, I'm pushing my fresh mag up with the palm of my left hand. My left thumb is pointing straight up. After the mag seats in place, I just bring my left thumb down on the slide stop. Never have to change the grip on my strong hand. Anyhow, that's what works for me.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have had them installed on some of my 1911s. Don't like them because they stick out too far to suit me so I took them all off. I always pull the slide back and release to chamber a new round. If you don't like doing it that way, you could do the mag change with the last round from the previous mag remaining in the chamber.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I don't really use the slide stop, I just rack the slide back after a reload. Less fiddling around and just push the gun forward back on target in the same motion.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You should use your weak hand to pull back the slide. In the event of an adrenaline rush or injury the bigger muscles work better than the smaller ones.

+1

An extended slide stop came with one of my premium 1911 pistols. I though it just got in the way. I fitted a normal slide stop. I cannot just thumb it like on a M-9, but I use the "sling shot" method, pull back slightly with the opposite hand.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    As others have mentioned, it is a slide stop, not a slide release. I have never trained with anyone who would let people use it to release their slide during a class.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    This^... because also ... using the slide STOP as a "release" is also rubbing metal on metal in that notch, literally polishing the edge off. At some point, if enough material is taken off, your slide will fail to lock open on the last shot fired.

The only time you should use that slide stop as a release is after a reassembly for a function check or when buying a used one to safety function test. What you are watching for when you do that is "hammer follow". If you thumb the slide stop and release the slide, and the hammer ALSO goes forward, that's bad mojo. If your hammer follows the slide, you have a sear to hammer hooks problem.

Top Bottom