• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    heaven forbid somebody calls it by the wrong name.

Getting your nomenclature correct helps us get on the same page faster when you call me because you jacked up your gun and need me to fix it. ;)

Seriously. My mind boggles at the names people make up for various parts of their firearm. This goes well beyond "clip" vs. "magazine" - when you're wanting me to troubleshoot your gun, I need to know exactly what's going on with exactly which parts. "It jams" or "that spring thing broke" doesn't help. Case in point - a guy came into the shop the other day asking for "the front pin" for his Glock. "Do you need the trigger pin or the locking block pin"? Blank stare. "The little one on top or the big one on the bottom?" Nobody home. I had to actually get out a gun so he could point to it. :facepalm: We got it figured out, but it would've been much quicker and easier for both of us had he known the correct name of the part.

Yeah, I tend to harp on correct nomenclature. That's because 1) it has been a critical part of the jobs I've held for the last dozen years or so, and 2) I'm a big believer in the idea that "words mean things".

While I can understand where you're coming from there is nothing wrong with someone learning on their own and calling "no joy" when they are stuck and seeking a professionals help (you for instance).

In cases where the potential for damage to the gun is minimal (like changing the mag catch), I might agree with you. In other cases, not so much. I'd also MUCH rather walk them through a procedure and answer their questions on the front end, rather than trying to fix their screw-ups on the back end.

Be thankful then that "You Tube wannabees" are around to give you a reason to work.

An interesting perspective that I had not considered. Although I gotta say that even without them, I'd still have plenty to do! :):

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    :whistle:

163.jpg

Top Bottom