• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Sooooo.....I just had my first experience with exploding targets today = AWESOME!!!!
    Price was steep at $10 per pound, but boy was it fun!!!!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    No too bad, but when you can make 10 lbs of your own for about $5 its even better...

Sure... But how would you do that? Cheapest AN I found was from China and it's around $500/Ton FOB China. Then you need Aluminum, about $8/lb if you buy a decent quantity. I called plenty of places trying to source domestic AN and it's difficult as can be. Mining companies make it, but generally won't sell to you. I had even planned on getting ATF explosives manufacturing license and couldn't get people to return calls. If you can find 34-0-0 that is often coated to make it slow release. The prilled AN is supposedly perforated which improves surface area available for the reaction to occur. I've read stories of people putting 34-0-0 into a blender to make the AN more readily available for the reaction.

I see reactive targets eventually going away due to insane regulations. At least the AN-based ones.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Sure... But how would you do that? Cheapest AN I found was from China and it's around $500/Ton FOB China. Then you need Aluminum, about $8/lb if you buy a decent quantity. I called plenty of places trying to source domestic AN and it's difficult as can be. Mining companies make it, but generally won't sell to you. I had even planned on getting ATF explosives manufacturing license and couldn't get people to return calls. If you can find 34-0-0 that is often coated to make it slow release. The prilled AN is supposedly perforated which improves surface area available for the reaction to occur. I've read stories of people putting 34-0-0 into a blender to make the AN more readily available for the reaction.

I see reactive targets eventually going away due to insane regulations. At least the AN-based ones.

AN is certainly available in 50 lb bags and even in bulk, you just have to find it. Like I said, my reliable source dried up but I do have an online acquantance located in a state in a southerly direction from our own that can still get bulk AN from his local fertizer plant. He's made the offer to share in his spoils but I don't have a good way to transport it in bulk. I can certainly come up with a way if I get desperate enough but I still have plenty left.

FWIW, last time I bought AN in 50 lb bags it was $.18/lb (about 2 years ago) and AL powder was about $5/lb. Maybe prices have changed a little but still a lot cheaper than $40 for 10 lbs.

Top Bottom