• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    For all those of you that have shot alot of 1911s. Which models have the least recoil? I've been looking for a 1911 for awhile. I want a 45 but I need to make sure my girlfriend can handle it confidently. Looking for a commander size 1911. $1300 limit. Thanks!

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Well, were gonna need pics of the girlfriend before we can help you! :D

Seriously it depends on her really. Has she ever shot a .45 before? If not I recommend you take her to a range that rents guns to find out. A lot cheaper than making the purchase then finding out she doesn't want anything to do with that caliber.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Not sure that I qualify as an expert, but I've got many dozens of various sizes and brands of 1911 pistols. High school physics class will tell you that the larger and heavier the gun the lower the recoil is perceived by the shooter.

1911 guru, the father of modern combat/defensive hand gunning, Col. Jeff Cooper remarked that the captured multiple recoil spring assembly used on the Detonics brand pistols resulted in the lowest recoiling 1911 ever designed. Find a used ScoreMaster or ServiceMaster and you'll be good to go, inside your budget too.

Or, you can buy a new one for under a grand direct from www.detonicsdefense.com

Another option would be to look at the 9mm or 38 Super chambered guns. Kimber makes some 9mm 1911s, several brands, including Taurus chamber them in 38 Super. Both 9 and 38 Super have lower recoil.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    No expert, but here are some thoughts. The things which can mitigate "felt" recoil (which is what it sounds like you are interested in) include heavier guns (Government > Commander > Officer), denser material (stainless > carbon steel > aluminum alloy), more weight up front (full length guide rods, full length tungsten guide rods, extended dust covers, heavyweight dust covers), ergonomic grips (molded rubber, carved wood, shaped G10, etc.)

About the only thing that can mitigate actual recoil is to use lighter loads, or reload your own rounds using a recipe you like the feel and performance of. I find heavy bullets traveling slow have the least "perceived" recoil for me.

Unfortunately, I can't really say which Commander size 1911s out in the market are going to feel best to you.

Maybe someone else can chime in with some other ideas.

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    We plan to go to her grandparents and shoot several different calibers. 9mm .40 .45 12ga 20ga .44mag and a .50 cal (for me...muahahahaha). So I guess we will see what she is comfortable with.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    For all those of you that have shot alot of 1911s. Which models have the least recoil? I've been looking for a 1911 for awhile. I want a 45 but I need to make sure my girlfriend can handle it confidently. Looking for a commander size 1911. $1300 limit. Thanks!

where ya located? you are welcome to shoot mine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We are ate up with 1911's as are the rest of the addicts/junky's posting here. My SA TRP is easy to handle with less felt recoil than my COLT or my Para's. One of the sweetest shooters we have is my S&W 1911 PD.
    Full length over compact any day.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    No expert, but here are some thoughts. The things which can mitigate "felt" recoil (which is what it sounds like you are interested in) include heavier guns (Government > Commander > Officer), denser material (stainless > carbon steel > aluminum alloy), more weight up front (full length guide rods, full length tungsten guide rods, extended dust covers, heavyweight dust covers), ergonomic grips (molded rubber, carved wood, shaped G10, etc.)

About the only thing that can mitigate actual recoil is to use lighter loads, or reload your own rounds using a recipe you like the feel and performance of. I find heavy bullets traveling slow have the least "perceived" recoil for me.

Unfortunately, I can't really say which Commander size 1911s out in the market are going to feel best to you.

Maybe someone else can chime in with some other ideas.

This. Weight is good. Can't fight physics.

Softest shooter you'll ever fire will be a full size 9mm 1911 (or CZ)

As far as brand differences, there won't be much. All other things being equal, a model with a high cut beavertail and frontstrap will allow a slightly higher grip, thus reducing flip, in theory.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My wife is petite and has never really shot guns much. She has shot my 4" 1911 .45 a few times. She does not like it much. These are with factory 230 gr round nose.

She likes my .22 pistol though. She may like a 9mm, but I don't own one for her to try.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Sounds like you want the impossible.. I am 67 and my wife 73 she hates my colt commander lightweight but tears up targets with mr Ruger SR1911. the extra length and weight make the bigger model more stable and reduces the kick and muzzle flip. go with the full size 1911. good luck

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    while i have no claim to being an expert most of my shooting has been done with a 1911. everyone has offered very sound suggestions. the one thing that struck me the first time i fired a 4 in barrelled 1911 was how much muzzle blast i could feel compared to the 5 inch ones. it could affect her if she is not used to it.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    My wife kicks but with my full size Para. She is now trying to find her own or she told me to find a new gun and she will keep that one. The only thing that I can say is let her try one out. Try and hit a local action match or something. Guns are a lot of personal preferance fit, finish, and feel. I got lucky that my wife likes the outdoors as much as me. We hunt, shoot and fish together. She is not the norm and is not recoil or noise sensitive by any means. I have seen her outshoot a lot of guys including me a couple times with my own darn gun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW my 90lb daughter (she was maybe 15) used to shoot my Commander with reg 230 gr factory WW ammo and just bounced the pop cans and smiled.

She never asked me about recoil, she just shot the dang thing.

Top Bottom