• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    A couple of years ago I attended my 3rd hunter's ed course with my youngest son. the two instructor's were fantastic can't say enough good things about them.

However, you can't imagine what another father said to me during one of the breaks. He was telling me a story of how his father taught him and his brother how to throw rimfire 22's on the ground so they would go off and how much fun it was.

I turned to my son and told him never ever do such a stupid thing. the other father was quite upset with me and indicated it was totally harmless and a lot of fun. Bologny. It takes all kinds I guess but it is guys like that who give the rest of us responsible hunters and gun owners a bad name.

Anyone else have an experience like this?

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Yes, I talked to a Father a few months ago, they (as a family) used to shoot across the lake, trying to "skip" 22 shorts on the water, of course never knowing what or who might be on the opposing shore.

They was a story on INGO about wrestling with kids wearing a loaded handgun, forget the details, just a reminder to pray for some of these kids!

We just started reviewing the Hunters Safety guide with my boys, 7, 5 and 5, so they can start to learn as we clean and handle guns.

Man, much better than the one I was taught when I turned 10!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I'm glad at least he had his son in the class. I taught Hunter Safety for several years. You got all kinds in the class but, for the most part, folks wanted to be there and usually offered constructive contributions.

I used to ask people if they had any "good stories" pertinent to the topic. One guy told about how he shot himself with an arrow and almost bled out. The worst was a guy who, on break, told me about having accidentally shot and killed someone. He no longer hunted but was there with a nephew.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ok, flame suit on.

While I admit that throwing .22s on the ground isn't exactly bright, it likely is harmless as stated. Without a barrel to contain the pressure the projectile isn't "fired" it is merely "popped" out of the case and the case ruptures. The "explosion" isn't contained. The only danger I can see is a small fragment of brass being propelled hard/fast enough to possible scratch your skin. Proper eye protection should protect again any permanent injuries.

:twocents:

Top Bottom