• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I believe there there are laws in place to prevent you from ever coming into contact with the animals when they are above a certain age. 7 months I believe. You can pet and play with them prior to that but some people claim this is unhealthy for the animals and they are more likely to die.

If that's true, and I doubt it, it's blatantly ignored. Your guide at the center will very likely touch several cats during your tour, and at least one of them will chuff or 'purr' like a kitten.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    There is one set of chain link fence keeping you alive throughout most of the place. The only way you would be on the other side of it is if you did the volunteer gig where you help feed the animals. I don't remember the details though. You'd have to call them.

Even with the volunteering stuff, you never get inside the same cage with them. They have a small area where they keep the cats while the cages are cleaned out. With the volunteer stuff, you do get to see most of the cats (over 100 cats you don't see on the normal tour). The same is with the stay in the condo type thing they have there.

Cool place, been there a couple times, going back soon.

A picture of one of my favorite cats.

dsc3181u.jpg

I love the tabby cat.

If that's true, and I doubt it, it's blatantly ignored. Your guide at the center will very likely touch several cats during your tour, and at least one of them will chuff or 'purr' like a kitten.

They don't touch the cats (the guides), some will put their hand on the fence and let the cats rub against them. The owner has been known to get inside the cages with the animals, he is one crazy guy.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    They don't touch the cats (the guides), some will put their hand on the fence and let the cats rub against them. The owner has been known to get inside the cages with the animals, he is one crazy guy.

Hmm. I guess the times I've been there my mind was just creating hallucinations, because every time I've been there, I've seen my guide and others touch cats. One, in particular, toward the end of the tour, they tend to stroke like a house cat so the people can hear the sounds it makes. Another old tiger down in the low area by King, the big grumpy male lion, is a very commonly touched cat.

But I'm sure you're right, I'm just imagining it.

Last edited:

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Hmm. I guess the times I've been there my mind was just creating hallucinations, because every time I've been there, I've seen my guide and others touch cats. One, in particular, toward the end of the tour, they tend to stroke like a house cat so the people can hear the sounds it makes. Another old tiger down in the low area by King, the big grumpy male lion, is a very commonly touched cat.

But I'm sure you're right, I'm just imagining it.

I am certainly not saying it never happens, but the 3 or 4 times we have been there I have never seen any touching other than a flat hand on the outside of the cage.

Every tour guide we have had has preached and preached not to even get close to the fence.

Heck we saw a woman get pissed on by one cat, AND SHE CONTINUED ON THE TOUR!
    She stunk like..........well cat ****.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I am certainly not saying it never happens, but the 3 or 4 times we have been there I have never seen any touching other than a flat hand on the outside of the cage.

Every tour guide we have had has preached and preached not to even get close to the fence.

Heck we saw a woman get pissed on by one cat, AND SHE CONTINUED ON THE TOUR!
    She stunk like..........well cat ****.

Getting sprayed happens a lot. Again, I think every time I've been there. And my tour guides have almost all been firm about keeping visitors away from the fences, with one exception that I recall, but they have all touched them. Sometimes on the fence, more or less as you described, sometimes... More.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    George and Rodney, leopards.

I have photographed this guy before.

Hey, that is how I sleep

All tuckered out.

These cats can kill a human, but man, they are so beautiful. I absolutely love going to this place.

Look at that paw size.

Mariah is the white tiger who took India's cage. Mariah is cross eyed and it looks like she is looking at her nose.

Max

Kisa

Cleo the cerval

Lilly the cougar

Since this cat was asleep, I put my camera right up against the fence and got this picture.

That was most of the pictures from the public area. They have a rescue area where they have cats they can't have on the public tour. Today's event got us into that area somewhat. They had two types. Walking and circus cage. Walking is self explanatory. The circus cage was interesting. They had two circus cages where two cats would be in. They could get about ten people into one (we had four adults/four children). After getting this tour, I feel bad for circus cats. We were cramped sitting indian style, I can't imagine being a cat cramped into these cages. Anyway, off the soap box.

This cat was really scary and was roaming free :)

Black Leopard, you can see the spots really well here.

This cat again.

This is Bubbles, yes, they named it Bubbles. It was not very happy today, don't know if it was the name or not.

Back to the post about the circus cage. Here is a picture.

Most of the cats just sat there and watched us or kept sleeping.

This guy wasn't happy though.

That is all, if you are ever coming through Indiana, you owe it to yourself to check this place out.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I need to go there for sure.

In terms of a zoo, Cincinnati is well worth the trip compared to the Indianapolis Zoo. Much closer to the big kitties and several I'd never even heard of before.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Went to the pumpkin party today, one of their recent rescues was pregnant when they got it. They got five new tiger cubs. They are now about four months old and on the public tour to the side of the pay shack. It is in Charlie's old enclosure.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Max the Tiger and Kisa the Lion. Apparently Kisa did something to Max and Max didn't want to come into the small enclosure when we got there. He needed in there so they could place the pumpkins in the larger enclosure.

Sahib the Tabbie

Rodney

Top Bottom