1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    Ex-Amtrak Officer Who Was Shot Sues Railroad Over 'Defective' Gun Holster
    Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010
    Updated: January 22nd, 2010 11:56 AM GMT-05:00

BY STEPHANIE FARR
    Philadelphia Daily News

An Amtrak police officer has sued the national rail corporation, claiming it's liable for an incident in which a woman was able to grab his gun and shoot him in the foot.
    James Bullard, 65, a 29-year veteran of the Amtrak force, was working at 30th Street Station on March 9, 2008, when he got in line at McDonald's to buy a cop of coffee, according to the suit, filed in Common Pleas Court in Philadelphia.
    Police and witnesses interviewed by the Daily News at the time of the incident said a 30-year-old woman, who appeared to be homeless, began arguing with McDonald's employees about 11 a.m. when they refused to refill her coffee.
    When Bullard tried to remove the woman from the restaurant, she grabbed his gun from his holster and shot him in the left foot.
    He was taken to Hahnemann University Hospital, where he was listed that day in stable condition.
    The woman, who was not identified in the suit, or by police in prior news stories, was charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and related offenses.
    At the time, police said Bullard had suffered from broken bones in his foot.
    The suit does not detail Bullard's injuries, except to say they were "severe," "permanent" and "disabling" and that he suffered "great physical pain and mental distress."
    In the suit, Bullard claims he was forced to work with a worn, torn and defective gun holster and that Amtrak failed to provide a new holster when he requested one.
    He is seeking damages under the Federal Employers' Liability Act.
    Calls to both Bullard and his attorney, Steven Lafferty, were not immediately returned yesterday.
    An Amtrak spokesman was not aware of the suit and said he would look into the matter.
    McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    If you are carrying a gun and your holster is a piece of :poop:, then you need to get off your lazy :moon: and make sure you have a proper one that has good retention. After all, it is your life at stake.

Now if he were required to use an old holster that's another thing.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Do they not have a uniform allowance.:dunno: I'm going out on a limb and saying it's his own fault if my holester is a broken down :poop: and if I was a POLICE OFFICER , for my own safety I would buy a holester that I would trust with my life reguardless of cost.

(edit:bigum beat me to the:boxing:)

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    If you are carrying a gun and your holster is a piece of :poop:, then you need to get off your lazy :moon: and make sure you have a proper one that has good retention. After all, it is your life at stake.

Now if he were required to use an old holster that's another thing.

+1,000 to this. My Dept. supplies us pretty good, but there are things that I thought I should have and went and bought them myself. But like Bigum said, if he was required to use THAT holster then it is a different matter all together. I'm glad he survived and prayers sent for a full recovery for him.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Perhaps he was too busy holding onto his walker to protect his gun.

All kidding aside I fail to see how this is Amtrak's fault. Aside from not firing this guy. But heck, he would have probibly sued for age discrimination eventhough he can't do his job.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Do they not have a uniform allowance.:dunno: I'm going out on a limb and saying it's his own fault if my holester is a broken down :poop: and if I was a POLICE OFFICER , for my own safety I would buy a holester that I would trust with my life reguardless of cost.

Not all Dept's use a allowance system, there are a lot (like mine) that use the quartermaster system. Of course they are supposed to replace items that are torn up and no longer serviceable.

Bigkeger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It wouldn't have mattered how old or worn his holster was, if that crazy women wanted that gun she would have gotten it unless it was a retention holster of some sort. Some departments (Let alone the almost bankrupt Amtrak) haven't gone to retention type because of cost of not only the holster but the training required to use them efficiently.

In the prison systems now the "Hardened" criminals that have been in and out are teaching amongst the population a particular method of grabbing at a gun and pulling it in all four directions while pulling up at the same time to get your gun out. I believe that all but the Serpa line has proven to be inadequate at defending this type of attack.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

I bought a Safariland SS070 holster to wear when I was an Air Force SP. The issue holster was a Bianchi Border Patrol with all the retention characteristics of a bowl of soup. Wore it for quite a while, at two different bases, until we got a new 1st Sgt who saw it ond day and told me to get rid of the "quick draw holster." He did allow me to wear a Safariland 200 holster. At least it had a retention screw. :rolleyes:

If this guy had bosses like that, he may have a point.

Top Bottom