• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You're, right.You (or others) suggested that she should go back to her country and it's not the same as being kicked out.

And I know you're fully aware you're not living in North Korea, and I didn't mean to insult you by saying that.
    I'm sorry if I did.
    I was just saying that having the right to openly criticize the country/regime/culture as a foreigner should be cherished as it's not something you can do in countries with less freedom (like North Korea and many others).
    Maybe I wasn't clear.

You were clear. It's just one of those instances of "do as I say, not as I do," that most Americans enjoy telling non-Americans.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I was just saying that having the right to openly criticize the country/regime/culture as a foreigner should be cherished as it's not something you can do in countries with less freedom (like North Korea and many others).

Maybe I wasn't clear.

Of course the right should be cherished, as should all of the rights that we enjoy. Doesn't mean that the content of her inane ramblings is appreciated or welcome.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Is it any different than Americans trying to tell other countries how things "should" be?

Whatever we Americans say, online or otherwise, living in another country and taking of pictures of things that don't meet your approval, then arrogantly tweeting to the world about how your host country "has a problem" is probably a couple notches higher on the d-bag scale. I'm hoping that most of us wouldn't participate in that level of asshattery. Well.....most of us, anyway.

RT45 (Won't mention any names)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I guess I should have wrote "rhetorical".

Whatever we Americans say, online or otherwise, living in another country and taking of pictures of things that don't meet your approval, then arrogantly tweeting to the world about how your host country "has a problem" is probably a couple notches higher on the d-bag scale. I'm hoping that most of us wouldn't participate in that level of asshattery. Well.....most of us, anyway.

Americans do that. And have, for decades... except for the "tweet" part... that's new.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I didn't say you had to enjoy her message, or that it was a classy move to publicly criticize a country that you are visiting.
    I wouldn't, and haven't done that.
    I probably do the opposite and have praised America to foreigners and Americans alike (some people don't realize how great their country is until you point it out).
    My point was just about her freedom to voice her opinion even if you don't agree he message.
    I wasn't supporting or agreeing with her view her obviously negative view America (hope that was clear), just supporting her right to express herself.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    antifa being classy again. going after a guy in a wheel chair.

language warning
    [video=youtube;DeXvR4ND4kY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeXvR4ND4kY[/video]

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I doubt anybody believed otherwise, Sylvain. I didn't. I support her right to say whatever she wants, and there is a large number of people in this country that agree with everything she said. That doesn't make them right, just opinionated.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I doubt anybody believed otherwise, Sylvain. I didn't. I support her right to say whatever she wants, and there is a large number of people in this country that agree with everything she said. That doesn't make them right, just opinionated.

I'm not sure that's even true.From that picture it looks like it's a police officer in NYC.
    Even most anti-gun people will agree that the police should be armed and they wouldn't freak out if they saw a cop carrying a gun in a coffee shop (or anywhere else).
    I believe her fear of guns, or armed cops, is related to the non-existent gun culture in the UK.

Some people in the US might believe there is "gun problem" (whatever that means, to me it means your gun jammed :): ) in America, but believing it's a problem to have armed cops that's on another level.
    And you would find very few Americans who would agree with her.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm not sure that's even true.From that picture it looks like it's a police officer in NYC.
    Even most anti-gun people will agree that the police should be armed and they wouldn't freak out if they saw a cop carrying a gun in a coffee shop (or anywhere else).
    I believe her fear of guns, or armed cops, is related to the non-existent gun culture in the UK.

Some people in the US might believe there is "gun problem" (whatever that means, to me it means your gun jammed :): ) in America, but believing it's a problem to have armed cops that's on another level.

It likely was a NYC cop. But take that single fact out, and lots of folks will agree with everything she said. I took her comments as not being specific to the police, but as more of a general lamentation and commentary about America.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I dated a girl that would leave a store, if a policeman entered with his gun in his holster. She was that scared.
    I know some people that are advocating for police to be disarmed.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I dated a girl that would leave a store, if a policeman entered with his gun in his holster. She was that scared.
    I know some people that are advocating for police to be disarmed.

I believe that's two different things.
    Some people have a real fear of firearm, they can't be around them or see them, but they are not particularly against guns (either own by the general public, the police or the military).

And some are against cops being armed (for whatever reason) but they won't freak out when they see a gun and might even be gun owner themselves.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this. Any visitor to this country, or any other for that matter, should be aware that there is a different culture and different social norms. Whether you agree with them or not they exist and it is not the responsibility of the visitor to declare those customs wrong, as she has done in this case. I do not think that there are too many people who would look kindly on someone coming into their home, sneering at you and telling you that you have a problem and that you must change your way of life to suit them.

Her fear of firearms does not give her any special right to erode the freedoms of others.

Neither of us are natural born Americans, positive firearm culture was not a part of our own country's identity as we grew up. It is fair to say that by and large, it was something that we were ignorant of. But we both made the conscious decision to learn more about that as a facet of this wonderful country because it is a part of the culture here rather than look down our noses at American culture. We understood that this is not Europe, France, or Ireland. It was a country with it's own history and culture that existed long before we got here, and will endure long after we have passed.

I mostly agree with this. I'll form my own views about things I like and dislike about other cultures, but I'll keep it to myself mostly.

Oh man, I disagree with this big time. I'm always talking about the flaws of other nations when I'm in them. In Britain, in particular, I've complained out firearms, bad pizza, CCTV, spending millions generation after generation of a family, food handling practices, and how odd it is they play cricket. Just because you're visitor, doesn't mean you can't critique the nation you are in. In fact every person does it. It's completely natural. I've always said, if you want to appreciate America, go to another country. If you're not making cultural comparisons, you don't have the ability to recognize how great our nation is.... but like I said, everyone does it.

I think there's a difference between complaining about pizza and projecting your own cultural dynamics. If there's something objectively good or bad, that's one thing. Complain away. I've heard people from GB say their pizza sucks, so that's probably more objective than some other things. Guns/no guns, there are some subjective and objective points about that. Seems to me the reasons to criticize GB about their gun policies are more objective than the reasons for them to criticize ours.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Good discussion here fellas but it's going a little off the rails regarding the topic of the thread.

Let's try and bring it back to Antifa.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-far-left-violence-20170829-story.html

The Los Angeles Times says the beatdowns being handed out by Antifa are prompting "soul searching" on the left.

A complete rebuke of Antifa and condemnation of their violent tactics would ne nice, but I guess soul searching is a good first step.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    And if that's a cop in New York that's probably a Glock with fifty pounds trigger anyway so there's no risk.
    But you missed the part where she says she's "partially weapons trained" so she could partially defeat the retetention holster and get the gun halfway out ... before getting punched by someone who's fully weapons trained.

I'd like to know why she felt the need to get partialy trained if no one should have guns. Oh that's right libs think they should just not us.
    Also,how does one get partial training on guns when you can't even own guns and even a lot of the police can't own guns.
    Also I would love to see her use her partial training to overcome the locking mechanism on that holster and draw the gun. Somehow I'm thinking she'd get partialy shot

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Nancy Pelosi condemns antifa for violence in California

Must admit, I didn't expect a statement like this.

Credit to Pelosi for that.

Blind squirrel, broken clock, whatever your preferred analogy, it's good to see.

All the Dems care about, and for that matter, the Repubs, is numbers. They actually don't care about the issues, just the numbers.
    Right now, she's being told they are losing numbers.
    And also probably being told, that antifa probably view her as part of the establishment, therefore not too loyal to her.

Top Bottom