• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    You and your buddy were stupid and wrong.

Before I post this. I Know I was totally going against gun rules and a lot of other rules. I know I did wrong. So do NOT scold me. I've learned my lesson already and don't need anyone telling I was in the wrong. I did this when I was in my younger and stupid years and to be honest my buddy and I are very very lucky no one was hurt or even killed when I did this.

Thanks

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I mounted a scope with see-thru mounts on a Marlin 39A lever action. I wanted to shoot it and see where I was hitting. I drove to my aunts property to shoot. I parked in the field and got out. About 5o yards away was a small group of black birds feeding in a mowed field. I laid the rifle accross my hood and put the scope right on the middle black bird. I squeezed a round off and WOOOOOMP!!!!!! Shot my hood. I inspected the damage, a small det where the bullet skimmed the surface. It would be nice to forget about this little mishap but everytime I look thru the windshield its looking back at me........sheeeeeeeeeesh!

Uhhh, possibly illegal too! IF they were Redwing Blackbirds they are classified as protected songbirds in Indiana, and are illegal to intentionally kill.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I didnt see the OP mention them being redwings...

Edited my post to reflect the possibility the the OP was refering to starlings, grackles, or crows when he called the birds "Black birds" although crows are also protected unless you can prove they were damaging food crops.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    It's only a matter of time before you shoot something you don't want to shoot. Guns are machines, and they will fail even if you do everything right. I had two 1911's go off in separate incidents when the slide went home on a live round, bad sears I think. Anyways, given enough time and it will happen.
    I routinely hit our training car during training. I use cover as much as possible and if a few glance the hood, oh well I was doing something right.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Uhhh, possibly illegal too! IF they were Redwing Blackbirds they are classified as protected songbirds in Indiana, and are illegal to intentionally kill.

Edited my post to reflect the possibility the the OP was refering to starlings, grackles, or crows when he called the birds "Black birds" although crows are also protected unless you can prove they were damaging food crops.

Uhh Redwing black birds can be shot if they are damaging crops or tree's. Same goes for Crows. Let alone Crow has a season. Per the Hunting and Trapping guide.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Yep...happened to me

About 15 years ago I was shooting my M-11 while leaning on the hood of my truck...the recoil was a rocking motion.
    I talked my x-wife into shooting it...she was alright for the first couple of shots, then it seemed like on every successive shot she had the muzzle pointed lower and lower....untill the bullet bounced off the hood. I still have the truck and it still has a gouge on the hood.:dunno::laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Kept the truck....but got rid of the old lady

Last edited:

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    This reminds me of the video of a guy shooting his .50 off of the lowered tailgate of his Ford pickup. The muzzle was too close to the tail-light assembly, and the blast shattered the lens.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The truck I'm driving now has a picture perfect bullet hole in the drivers side bed wall. Shot was about 4" high, and 6" right, of dead center on the gas door.
    The truck came with the bullet hole already provided. Previous owner said, "yes, it's a bullet hole...". He said he was in his barn tending horses, truck parked right outside, when he heard a shot too close during muzzle loader deer season. He didn't see anyone, but found the bullet hole the next morning. Looks to be at least a .45 caliber.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Well, from your username, it appears you drive a Ford. It could've been a lot worse. At least it was only a Ford ;)
    No, it could have been a lot worse, like a 45/70, like the one used by the dipshit I saw do the very same thing back in the late 70's.

Only he did it over the roof and thank God it was a Chevy. No the bullet didn't hit the car. The muzzle blast alone dented the roof and split the cloth ceiling liner.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My little brother was sigting in a new 10/22 on a portable bench. I noticed a rabbit and told him about it he stood up and took a shoot and missed. I started to laugh and he said he just need to support it so he laid the rifle across the bed rail of my Dads Truck fired and all I heard is a loud "Ping" he hit the other bed rail funny thing was he was so set on getting that rabbit he was starting to do a follow up shot before I yelled at him to stop.

Buddy on mine did the same thing with my .22 any years ago. Laid the gun across the bed rail and hit the truck bed on the other side. Lucky for me it was not my truck. Unlucky for him it was is dads.

Had another friend whose son blew a hole in the floor of a truck with a .243. He was hunting deer with his cousin and did not unload the gun. Should have known better.

Top Bottom