• ...and so much more!
  • qualitytym

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Porter County
    Ever shoot a Taurus Judge?

Getting interested in Taurus Judge. What's it like to shoot? I had a .44 mag with 2 in barrel, and was NOT fun to shoot. How is recoil/shootability on Judge?
    :patriot:

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Getting interested in Taurus Judge. What's it like to shoot? I had a .44 mag with 2 in barrel, and was NOT fun to shoot. How is recoil/shootability on Judge?
    :patriot:

Just by your title, I was going to respond by saying, "You can go to jail for that"!:D

Seriously though, Yes. I have a "Judge" and I love it!

It DOES have a kick, but not completely unruly.

Mine may NOT be the best to "Judge" by:D, I have an "Ultra-Lite" with a 4" barrel:rockwoot:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Someone needs to work on their capitalization. . . .

I was about to trash this thread for "promoting violence against public officials". :D

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I shot one before. It's ok, the only problem was ejecting spent 410 casings was pretty difficult. Almost thought the ejector rod was going to bend.

duke

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    these guys run a shooting test of the Judge's effectiveness...they don't seem to mind the recoil, however they aren't happy with spread performance. I still think it would be a cool gun to have.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGC1ajqSJGo&feature=fvw"]YouTube - Shooting a Public Defender[/ame]

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I have no interest in owning one unless I got it for SUPER cheap.

I think it would be really fun to play with i.e. birdshot clay shooting.

But, as a true self defense gun, there's much better choices out there. I only see the Judge as a toy, nothing more.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    When I bought mine , I told the wife that the first thing I was going to do was get rid of those ugly grips. Then I fired it. Those ugly grips work great. I like the versatility. I keep mine loaded with the first round #4 shot, second round 000, last 3 are Winchester Silvertip .45 LC.(225 grain bullet, 925 fps, 423 ft. lbs energy) I've used the #4's on the pesky squirrel that ate the tranny harness on my F350, and to kill a sickly looking raccoon wandering around the yard. By the way,that .45 lc at 400+ ft lbs of energy, is equal to or better than, a 230 grain .45 ACP. The Judge is hardly a "toy",like any other firearm, it's a matter of personal preference. In the right hands, with the right ammo, it's as lethal as anything out there. ( I'll give it 2 to 3 posts before someone directs you to the "box o truth" test , where they used "cut down" 3" shells to show how inadequate the .410 000 is. Federal has since introduced a premium Defense 000 that has 4 pellets leaving the barrel at 1200fps. And I read a post on another forum where someone asked him to test the Judge with this new round. His response. "I'm done with that. No intentention to test again. Got rid of the gun anyway".) I kind of got on a soap box there for a minute. Sorry about that.:):

TFB53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Muncie
    I own a 3" mag. Judge and feel good about it for in the house and other close in encounters. Most people are not the best marksmen and in a stressful situation , getting something center mass or in the face should be easier with this gun. I bet two or three rounds of buckshot or #4 from this gun would hurt. A Judge would not be my choice if I could only own one gun , but it's not a bad choice for what it was designed to do. A wheel gun that works. I had some issues with extracting , try Winchester cured it for me.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My father in law has one...

I'm not all that impressed.

To me, to borrow a phrase, it's the answer to a question that wasn't asked.

In all honesty, if I were "out west" and needed a great trail and/or snake gun, this would be it. Or if I lived inner-city and needed a car console gun to keep me from getting jacked...like the Taurus' site video shows.

But here... It's just a toy.

As another poster has said, there are better self-defense weapons out there.

The 3" chamberings with .410 slugs would probably be the best way to go...

But you might very well be able to get better terminal ballistics with a hot .45LC. Only thing is, accuracy suffers with the LC.

The rifling in the barrel, all be it shallow, still imparts quite a spin on any kind of shot. Your patterns will most definitely suffer due to it.

Having said all the above, though, if you've got the extra money to spend... Then why not? Recoil is stout with .410...but not painful at all. Judge is a big revolver, and that helps. Cowboy-type .45LC were honeypots to shoot. I've not shot any buckshot, slugs, nor hot .45, though.

-J-

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I believe this would be the perfect gun for between the seat and console of my truck. But like almost everyone else, other than a toy, that's about it.

Anyone ever shoot a public defender?!? :D

BTW OP, Can the same object occupy the same tread?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D01mdGW9-Zg[/ame]

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I shot my father-in-laws. Not bad recoil didn't shoot anything too hot though. His is too big for my preference for carry. Would make a great trail gun though IMHO

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    I agree with the above posts in general.
    I've shot one that belonged to a friend. They're lots of fun and cheap to shoot.
    Effective for CC? Not really. They are heavy and kind of tough to get used to.

Of course every gun is as accurate as the shooter is skilled, but I found the Judge to be exceptionally difficult to maintain point-of-aim.

If you're sold on that whole "3 rounds of .45 with each shot!" nonsense, think again.
    Unless you find some heavy steel 00 buck in .410, those three lead balls smash into one big, tumbling, inaccurate mess before they leave the barrel.
    Lead slugs are OK, but really, what are you going to shoot with those that another caliber wouldn't be more effective/cheap/concealable?

If you're looking to fulfill a need for a carry weapon or hunting pistol, look elsewhere.
    If you're looking for something awesome to add to your collection 'just for fun' go right ahead!

About the most excitement you're going to get with the Judge is using .410 birdshot to hit clays in the air.
    That's FUN!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I had one and I really did like it. I felt it would be a good close quarters defense gun. I always kept it setup with 2 shots of 000 buckshot, then 1 225 gr winchester silvertip 45 colt, then another buckshot, then another 45 colt. When I carried it it was in a shoulder holster or in my glovebox. I thought it was a good backup to my normal carry 45 acp. I do plan on buying another in the future esp now with the new federal ammo for them specifically for handguns. I only sold it cause I needed money.

Top Bottom