Ever hurt yourself or have any close calls while shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Ever hurt yourself or have any close calls while shooting/handling guns?

Just curious, looking for things to avoid, lol. ;) Any close calls (or, uh, actual, calls) while shooting/handling firearms? Share your stories please!:popcorn:

Last edited:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I wasn't shooting, but the first time I held an AK, I got the bolt hung up on the hammer and figured it was a bolt hold open feature. I moved the gun a little and it slammed shut and scared the crap out of me. :):

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    When I was engaged to the future Mrs. Ortega I had her at my house and was showing her my neat Ruger semi-auto .22. We were sitting on a step and I shot at a can some distance away. The hot case ejected and landed on her, as they say in the movies, creamy white thigh. About a second later she jumped and said, "Owwwww." I felt like a dufus. The mark is still there today.

btownie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    Monroe County
    Had a bunch of 7.62x54 ammo that when fired it cracked/burned holes in the side of the casing..not cool when your face is that close to it. I still have the casings somewhere. No idea why that happened.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    Fired 15 year old ammunition from a friends Glock-19 a year ago and a round exploded in the chamber. Almost took my thumb off. Avoid old ammo.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Old ammo is not the problem a lot of the times. People are shooting miliatiary surplus ammo from World War II and before and have no problems!

Mr. Ortega, you were just marking territory...

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    when i got my first ar15 i was shooting with the wife and we dumped about 200 rounds through it pretty quick i had my 1911 out also and she wanted to shoot it so i cleared my ar and had it slung across my front on a single point sling and i was showing her how to shoot the 1911 and as i leaned in to keep her from getting railroad tracks from wrong hand placement the hot barrel left a perfect imprint on her thigh i felt like an idiot. a lesson learned for sure thankfully she didnt kill me

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I got some piping hot 5.56 brass down my back while on line in a carbine course once. Left some pretty nice burns on my neck and back. Made me do the muzzle control pee-pee dance.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Angry Bees

Had a close call in the army...

Me and a buddy were on a tank range. We were behind a "truck target" trying to fix the thing so it would move on it's little track.

Kept hearing buzzing sounds and a split second later the "pop-pop-pop" of an M2 .50 cal. I remember thinking "I hate bees". "Hmm, seems like they are getting closer too."

We were so focused on the task it wasn't until the next burst clipped the top of the plywood truck and showered us with splinters that we figured it out.

To this day I still think of that when I see and hear a hornet. I think about the bad a$$ "hornets" I heard that day!

Oh ya- a 2LT got a royal chewing out for doing some test firing on a cold range.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I was teaching my sister how to shoot and sent a hot casing down the front of her shirt that went down and into the front of her pants too. I do believe I hurt myself from falling on the floor, laughing.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    I got some piping hot 5.56 brass down my back while on line in a carbine course once. Left some pretty nice burns on my neck and back. Made me do the muzzle control pee-pee dance.

Lol, was gonna post something like this. Had a nice long burn down my back because of this at one point in time. Really sucks when it gets lodged between your back and the IBA you're wearing...

bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    I was deer hunting a few years ago. My stand was down in a valley overlooking a clear creekbottom. Not sure how far away the shot was but I remember thinking to myself, "someone sure shot close", when the slug went crashing through the tree limbs 15 feet or so above me. Best guess was it came from next property over the hill but who knows what the heck they were shooting at. Maybe they were bored and thought, "hey, I bet I can get the squirrel with this here slug gun." They have a reputation for shooting at anything thing that moves. Yikes.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Just curious, looking for things to avoid, lol. ;) Any close calls (or, uh, actual, calls) while shooting/handling firearms? Share your stories please!:popcorn:

The first time I lit a LAW I had my eye too close to the sight and received a nice little slice on my eyebrow. And a Walther PPK/S once tried to amputate my thumb. That's about it so far (knock on wood).

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Once, way back in the day, we were having dis/ass races with the M249. I forgot to send the bolt forward after clearing the weapon in my haste (clearing was part of the race), and when I went to remove it, it popped me right in the sternum. That stung a bit.

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    The first time a friend took me to the range I was more nervous than I thought I would be. Anyway, first shot out of his Glock I limp wristed it somewhat and the shell came back and hit me in the cheek...I about wet my pants thinking I was shot. :ugh:

Years later and with a little more experience, I was at my mother in laws and she and my wife were looking at the .22 pistol that her brother gave her to keep in her apartment. I said, "Hey be careful" and of course the response from both was "don't worry it's not loaded." I asked, but how do you know. They showed my the magazine in one of their hands. I grabbed the gun and racked the slide....of course you can guess. I live shell landed on the floor. I chewed some major a$$. :bash:

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Fired 15 year old ammunition from a friends Glock-19 a year ago and a round exploded in the chamber. Almost took my thumb off. Avoid [STRIKE]old ammo[/STRIKE] Glocks.

I fixed it for you.

In all seriousness do not avoid old ammo. I have ammo from WWI that is fine. Use common sense and if something looks wrong with the ammo do not use it. But 15 year old ammo is not old by any standards.

Getting bit by the Hi Power slide was a memorable moment of my childhood.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I had a hot shell from my Mark III burn me on the chest a few months ago. Now I keep a scarf in my range bag (idea from Sylvain) to prevent this.

Last time at the range I had a 380 shell fall behind my classes and burn me on the cheek.

Top Bottom