Ever had an intruder in your house/property?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ever had an intruder in your house/property?

• Total voters

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    All in all we have been lucky. Main problem i have are coon hunters who think all land is fine to hunt on. Had a few squirrel and deer hunters who couldn't read signs well but after a quick education on the subject they have learned. Thieves don't get treated well in some remote areas that i am familiar with. People out in the country know if you are a local and if not you are watched.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    Once upon a time, in the late 70's my job required that I carry a pistol, it became as natural as putting on my pants. When I left that job in mid '79 it took almost a year to get out of the habit. One drizzely evening in May of '81 I was bored and sitting around the house. I decided to take a stroll down to my local Village Pantry, about 8 blocks away. About half way back I stopped to say hi to my friends who ran the local pizza place and then continued on home. When I walked up on my front porch I could see through the glass in the front door that there was someone in my living room, he saw me at about the same time and headed for the back of the house. I ran to the back door and was waiting when he opened it. All I had was a can of Mace which I had carried in case of stray dogs. I hosed him down, he turned and ran through the house and out the front door like a scalded cat. I chased him, stopping on the way to pick up a concealed handgun because I had no idea what he may have been armed with, including my own pistols. When I got to the front door he was across the street, three doors down and approaching warp speed. He got away empty handed, but I learned that Mace was worthless and quit leaving the house unarmed forever more. The end.
    PS. To this day I have no idea how he got into my house.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    In College - had a 'storage room' in the apartment building, in the basement laundry room. The room was to be kept locked (it was NOT much of the time) so only residents could access it. The room had 'cubes' of chicken wire & wood cages. Mine was busted into one day and a few hundred dollars in tools and golf club (putter) and fishing stuff were taken. ... Also had 2 cars broken into - one on a different apartment parking lot where I resided and 1 while parked on a CHURCH lot where I parked for work. it is very disconcerting to say the least.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Two walmart bikes stolen off my balcony. One we got back and we bought a cable lock for it then they came back and cut the cable and stole the same bike again. Pretty desperate for a wally world kids bike.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    No actual break ins yet. I did recently buy a hd wide angle cam that records 10 hrs. of sound and video for inside the home. Its so small a person would never know it was there. I modified it with a bigger battery to get more recording time. Great little cam for when you leave home.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    TRUE STORY...When I was 9, my brother was 7, we were dropped off at our home, as we punched the garage code in we noticed that the door inside the home was wide open, and the door to the outside(in garage) was unlocked. As I turned around the person who dropped us off had left already, so I told my brother to grab one of my drivers from my golf bag, and I grabbed my pellet gun(handgun, CO2), my brother then said "wait, I'll be right back".... a minute later he comes back with his friend from across the street who has a baseball bat..... we then proceeded to clear the house room by room as if we were the charlies angles logo.....We never found anything, but it was a fun experience, and scary at the same time.

So I don't know if my mom was being lazy, or if someone chickened out....... interesting as a 9 year old. Remember it well.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Once, this past summer. It was a somewhat interesting senario, middle of daytime, both cars in driveway, in a decent (though not as good as it was when we moved here) subdivision. We were sitting upstairs playing with the kids waiting on my wifes grandparents to show up. They were suppose to be arriving in approx 20-30 minutes. I had been downstairs just a few minutes before and unlocked the door so they would be able to simply come inside. We heard the storm door open which was weird considering there was little chance they could've gotten here so quickly. I then heard the main door open. I jump up and hustle down the stairs to grab the dog. She's a big dog and they're pretty scared of her (they havn't been to our house more than a time or two) plus she's a little rambunctious sometimes and could knock them over. My intentions were to grab the dog so I could put her outside so they could come on in. Halfway down the stairs I hear an aggressive bark (most dog owners begin to distinguish the different sounds their animals make), then I hear the door slam shut. By then I knew something wasn't right and basically threw the dog to the side so I could look out the window in the top of the door. I see two males running at lightning speed a few houses away. I can only guess that these were the people who had attempted to enter my house. I called the police but was little help since I had next to no means of identifying these individuals other than approx height and what they were wearing. My first line of home defense (see avatar on left) did it's job I guess, guess they weren't waiting for a 130lb rottie to be the first thing they saw when they opened the door (she sleeps right in front of that door most of the time). Pup got a healthy meal that night for sure. Have not had any issues prior to or since that one, though my door is now locked until I'm certain of who is on the other side of it.

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Had my blazer broken into one night when i was in high school. They popped out the right rear door window. Took some cheapo tools, a friends subs that had huge tears in the cones, and some change. What they left where the brand new, high dollar, still in the box fog lights....and their big ol' Craftsman screwdriver, easily worth more itself than all of the tools they took. After that, i swore id have alarms on all my cars so id at least be woken up

While in elementary/middle school, me and my little bro rode the bus which dropped us off at our driveway. One time, while we where on the bus riding through the neighborhood to our house, the bus was passed by the cops. We got home to find them at our house. The alarm was set off and the back door open. They cleared the house. 2 other times we got home to the back door open and alarm going off. We later discovered that our back door was very easily opened with the credit card trick.

2 months ago, me and my fiance moved into a rental in the country. It sits in the heart of 70 acres of woods. The drive is easily missed, and you cant see the house from the road. Our landlords assured us they never have trouble except the occasional hunter trespassing during hunting season. Ive always been weary of thiefs and BG's in general. So i didnt take their word for it. We also rescued a black lab/pit to help keep an eye on things, especially when im at work and shes home alone.

Twice in the same week, the dog would start getting really anxious in the early morning hours and want out the front door. So both times id get up and let her out. But she would just stand in the doorway and stare at where my car and Jeep are parked. One night i thought i saw something/someone walk between my Jeep and car (i was dumb and didnt grab my glasses or a light). I had wanted a gun for a while, that night made it official. 3 days later I had my XD40.

Then today, i get home and the little lady tells me twice the door bell went off, but when she got to the window she didnt see anyone. She also said the dog would act rowdy. I didnt see anything out of the ordinary. Theres 2 doorbells. One at the front door, which is wired thru the house. The other at the garage door (closer to the driveway) which is wireless. Thats the one she heard. Im just thinking something was sending out a similar signal, setting off the bell.

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    My favorite is the people selling magazines door to door. Makes me think.....

I had one group going door to door in my neighborhood in Broadripple midday a few months ago selling I don't know what but they weren't really waiting long enough for people to answer their doors. That and the van following them looked suspicious. The next week another group came down the street doing the same thing with the same van and driver but different 'knockers.'

I don't know what got in to me but when they got to my door I answered with my AK in hand and 'politely' asked that they stay the #### out of the neighborhood. The next day my neighbor said the police were going house to house telling people houses were getting broken into during the day. I haven't heard or seen anything since.

John James

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    None of the above.

I was sitting in a room in my house when I saw some jackass walk up to my neighbor's garage, give he lock a shove, and walk away.

I went to my back door, which was open to another room with the lights out, and stood there with a 12 gauge.

Sure enough, the same piece of **** walked up to my garage door to give it a shove.... except this time I drew on the bastard and asked, "Can I help you with something you mother****er?"

The basard left faster than he arrived.

I detest thieves and thugs.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Some years ago, two people walked right into my apartment while I was shaving in the b-room. No knock or "hello anyone home". Just walked right the f in like they owned the place.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    1997 I was stationed in Pensacola, FL and lived off base in a house with my then wife and her 2 kids. My wife at the time had a miniature collie named penny (great little dog). Penny never barked or growled unless she was being played with or there was something not right outside. One night I woke up to Penny standing up on the window ledge growling. I jumped up and looked outside and didnt see anything. Wife asked me whats going on then I had a eureka moment. Wait a minute...whos car is that outside parked on the road up against the hedge row between my house and the neighbors. One very big old cadillac. Then I notice movement out of the corner of my eye. Some POS is sitting inside my blazer yanking my stereo system. I move to the dresser and grabbed my Ruger P89 9mm (hey i was a poor E4 Navy Aviation Electrician, dont hate! :D). I racked the slide, told the wife to call the sheriff and tell them whats going on after I filled in her in, in a bout 8 seconds then made a straight line to the front door. Got outside quietly and looked over to my blazer and nobody there. Looked past the blazer to see the slimeball carrying my stuff into his car. I got to within 20ft of the road and by then the slimeball realizes I am a coming. He starts his car up and I aim through the passenger window and reality sets in. Im about to kill an idiot over a car stereo. So I lower my gun and that guy was trucking on down the road. Meanwhile inside my wife has the sheriff on the way. I make it over to my blazer and open it up and sure enough he tore up my dash getting my stereo. I hear cops coming (that distinct woosh sound from the cop cars) and i put my gun on the hood. They pull up and I throw my hands up and they get out and asked me which way he went. I described the car and said "west". Well it just so happens that i live just east of where all cops meet up at night because i was near the line where a bunch of patrol sectors overlapped. So there was a whole lotta police in the area already and it took a whopping 3 minutes for the police to catch the dirtbag. The deputy asks if i would come with him to ID the guy. I hopped in the cop car and away we went. The dirtbag thief didnt make it 2.5 miles away! As soon as we pulled up near the cadillac I said that's the car, the one with around 10 cop cars surrounding it! The cop walked me up to another sheriff car and I said "yep, thats the POS that tore up my blazer's dash". The guy just sat there stoned out of his mind on something alot stronger than mary jane! Another deputy walked me over to the caddy and had me look in to ID any of my stuff and there was my stereo and radar detector. Turns out the thief had been going through the neighborhood literally from house to house and stealing anything he could get his hands on. He had wallets, prescription pills (not his) and even a bicycle in the trunk. The car was loaded with all kinds of stuff. Coppers gave me my stuff right then and there after they wrote model and serial numbers in the report. They thanked me for not killing the guy because of the paperwork needed for that. (dispatch told them that my wife had told dispatch that i was in the front yard with my pistol). I kinda laughed and said the worst I could have done was give him a concussion. They looked at me with confusion and I boldly laughed and stated....My dumba$$ forgot to throw a magazine into the pistol before I went out the door! :D I wondered why that gun was so light when i was aiming. I knew when I had put the gun on the hood of my blazer to see there was no mag peeking out near the grip. Lesson Learned :draw:

.38 Special

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    I've had my car broken into a number of times. Never had anyone in or around the house, but the first one to try may regret it deeply.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Have had 210 gallon water tank, tree stand, and fire wood stolen from our Property. Possibly had someone attempting to break into mini barn but our dogs scared them off, never got visual if it was person or rocky the raccoon. Possibly had someone who wanted to attempt theft/burglary and I suprised them by coming home. Their story was faulty about working on the air conditioning/heater and they left without conflict. Police report filed. Other than the occasional trespasser who wonders into our property we are sound as a pound. People just taking a stroll in the woods don't count. Poachers and people with intent to destroy property do.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    This was back in 1995. I was living in a dive apartment in Terre Haute, and one morning early there was a knock at the door. I didn't answer it. **** them. I'm not getting out of bed at 6 AM for anybody. A minute later the front door opened and two guys walked in. I jumped out of bed in my shorts with a 1911 in my hand, screaming at them to get on the floor, and luckily they did so.

Come to find out my landlord sent them over without telling me. I even called him to verify, and sure enough he sent them. Idiot.

Top Bottom