• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    I usually prefer to do my business face to face so believe it or not this is my first purchase off of gunbroker. What is the smartest/safest way to buy and what to watch out for. This is a good deal but not too good to be true type of deal and good rating from seller, but firearm is longggg way away. Thanks for any help.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I have. It went fine. Just find an FFL to do your transfer before hand, making sure you speak with them personally and what your intents are. Some will try to sell you something else and some will be ticked that you are buying elsewhere. But there are some who are professionals and will handle your transaction with class.

Just make sure to not send cash :) I prefer payment via credit card or check. M.O. only can make me a little jumpy sometimes.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Gun shops like Indy Trading Post will do the transfer without hesitation. Brian will transfer for $15 if you mention that you are an INGO member. If you live in the Indy area, call him at 317-782-guns.

Viper393

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Clark County
    I bought a Ruger Redhawk on GB last year from a guy on the west coast and it went smoothly. I was a nervous wreck from the time I won the bid until I picked it up at my FFL. I was worried and paranoid about buying a firearm without being able to pysically being able to see it first. Just make sure the seller has great feedback and make sure you call/e-mail him/her with any questions you have before you place a bid. I would definetely buy from GB again.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I have and one other thing that you have to watch out for or factor in is the total cost vs buying local. You will have to pay for shipping, transfer fee, and if paying with credit card add in 3%, so make sure that your bid is low enough to add those cost in vs finding a deal locally. Mine went smooth and I was happy with the total cost.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I have bought and sold approximately 15 time from gunbroker and all went well. Just check buyer or sellers feedback and be sure to ask any questions before you bid. All of mine went ffl to ffl.

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    I have bought from GB 4 times. As others said, check the feedback and others costs (shipping, transfer fees, insurance, Etc). I was very happy with my four buys, and all four were from different sellers.

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    i sold an m14 and bought my AR from gunbroker. shipped the m14 to Washington state and bought the AR from a gunshop in the middle of iowa. everything went smooth.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Make sure to talk to your FFL before bidding and make sure the seller has a good reputation and everything will be fine. Also if you win the bid be in constant contact with the seller, that way there will be no suprises from either parties.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have purchased many times off of the Gunbroker site with no problems. As was said above, do contact and coordinate with your FFL Holder in advance of the actual purchase. Do your homework in advance so you will know what a good price actually is. The more photos of the item the better. Ask for photos that you want to see if they are not already posted.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Gunbroker

I have purchased 1 time on gunbroker and like Viper I was a nervous wreck until I recieved the call from My FFL saying the had My pistol.
    I kept thinking I just sent a Money order to a Guy I dont know for 1050.00 dollars ,hoping I didnt get ripped off
    But it went well , My Seller was a LEO and part time dealer on the east coast .
    I told Him of My concerns and He gave Me His personel phone number ,dept name and number , badge number and His capts name and phone number
    it was such a great deal on the pistol I bought I couldnt pass it up ,I learned after talking to Him via phone how pleased I was with the deal, the Seller told me that He forgot to put a reserve price on the Gun and that he lost money on the deal but felt it was His mistake
    He did offer Me cash to forget the deal but said He understood if I still wanted the Pistol .
    It is now the most prized Pistol I own and have shot many matches with it from Mass to Tenn
    With that said , I wouldnt do it again unless it was a GREAT deal like I got on this Pistol

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    My experience based upon over 150 transactions.

I have personally sold ten guns on Gunbroker and handled over one hundred and fifty transfers for customers who purchased from them and other auction sites and here is my experience with them. I had one personal sale where someone won the auction and did not follow through so I had to relist it and another person bought the gun. I reported the guy and gave him negative feedback. All the rest went very smooth.

As far as transfers done for customers who purchased guns from auction sites I believe I had less than five that felt the gun was not in the condition as advertised; most guns were as good if not better than expected. I have seen guns come in that looked like then were NIB but were used and sold for a reasonable price. Almost every customer felt they got a good deal and were satisfied with their purchases.

Problems to look out for are as follows:
    · Do your homework and do your math. Find out what this particular model is selling for, not what they are listed for. Many listing get zero bids because they are overpriced from day one. Do a search on that specific model and see how many have sold and for what price. See what the person wants for shipping and any other fees such as credit card preminums. You save the IN sales tax for buying out of state but those savings can be eaten up with shipping costs.
    · Check the feedback on the seller; look for negative feedback and ask questions if they have any.
    · Individuals shipping the gun without proper packing. I have received guns with little or no packing inside and the box torn open because of insufficient tape. This almost never happens with guns coming from stores.
    · Individuals who ship without signature required and insurance. UPS and USPS have no problem leaving a two thousand dollar gun on the porch. Insist on signature required for all purchases, it is only a couple dollars more and well worth the piece of mind.
    · No paper work included with the gun. I sometimes get shipments and do not have a clue to whom the gun is going. Some of my regular customers buy guns and just tell the seller to send it to Richards Guns and include my FFL copy with their payment without telling me to expect the firearm.
    · Get YOUR FFL lined up first before buying the firearm. Personally I would not purchase a gun that was not shipped from a FFL to a FFL. Almost every private sale where the seller did his own shipping had flaws; many I end up calling and asking for the correct paperwork, which delays the transaction.
    · When you sell make sure you understand what the site charges you to sell your gun. Fees can often add up quickly if you have to relist several times.

Overall I have had a good experience dealing with Gunbroker and would not be afraid to use them to both buy and sell. I have some customers who average one transaction a month from Gunbroker so take that for what it is worth as a reference of the service.

arbitrary

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    On Gunbroker, go to Smart Search for completed auctions to find actual sale prices. Also, if the seller has little feedback or seems flaky, shoot them a question. If they are slow to reply, or vague, be concerned.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have more than 50 transactions on GunBroker, including at least a dozen firearms.

I have, to date, had 1 problem. I bought a used Daisy Red Ryder .177 cal BB gun, you know, the kind that you cock the lever handle once and it shoots about 300fps?
    Well, I have to admit, the seller listed his terms, but I assumed it was a misprint.
    The seller clearly stated, "..since this can be a deadly weapon?, that he would ONLY ship to an FFL!
    As I said, I ASSUMED that was a misprint, but this guy INSISTED that I send a signed copy of a current FFL BEFORE he would ship a freakin' BB-GUN!:eek:

Luckily, and UN-luckily, my friendly neighborhood FFL has a sense of humor.
    He agreed to do the transfer of my "DEADLY WEAPON" for no charge.

Seller also DEMANDED to ship "overnight priority mail" at a cost of $52!
    I told him I could buy a brand new Daisy for less than what he was asking for SHIPPING!:xmad:
    Told him I would take a negative feedback before I paid that much for shipping.
    3 phone calls later, he agreed to ship regular mail, for $9, but still insisted on the FFL.:rockwoot:

This was two YEARS ago, and my FFL dealer STILL tells EVERYONE in the shop when I'm there, about my "Deadly Weapon"!:rolleyes:

Moral to my story, Read descriptions CAREFULLY, and take them LITERALLY! If you have questions or concerns, ask BEFORE you bid! Your bid IS considered a binding contract.

Over-all, I'm VERY happy with GunBroker!:yesway:

jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    You can get your own FFL if you do alot of transfers. Google it, there are many kits you can buy that have all the paperwork set and ready to fill out. I think it's only $250/year here in indy for the license.

Top Bottom