• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Last winter, we had a mediocre snow-fall in late November/early December?
    A local business that I do on & off work for, had an unfortunate turn of events.
    For reasons unknown, their building received a larger than normal snowfall drift-up on one end of their warehouse roof causing it to partially collapse. The roof fell about 4-5 feet (metal roof) and stopped about 45 feet above the floor.
    The business district manager, a friend, was concerned that the snow would melt, and all the water would consolidate into the depression. He was afraid the weight of all that water, concentrated in one area, COULD drag down more of the roof. This constituted a safety hazard in his mind.
    I received a call at about 10:00 pm asking me to come to the warehouse, "and bring my pistol"?
    I asked my friend, "what for"? He told me of his concern. Now I had to tell him of mine!
    He wanted me to bring my .357 magnum into the warehouse, and VENTILATE THE ROOF! He wanted to allow the water to drain away, thus relieving the weight build-up.
    Just a couple of problems here. 1) We're INSIDE city limits 2) There is an apartment complex not 200yds from the warehouse.
    I told him the .357 was a NO-GO under those circumstances. I told him I could do the job he wanted SAFELY with a 12ga. and buck-shot.
    A verbal O.K. was all I needed to JUMP out of bed and grab my Mossberg 500 out of the safe. Snatch a box of 00 buck out of the ammo cabinet and across town I head.:rockwoot:
    Approximately 1 dozen shots later:ar15:, I packed up the Mossy, handed the boss a bill for my "materials" used, and went home.
    NO-ONE at that business looks at me the same anymore:D

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    NOPE. Triple XXX restaurant is on state street in West Lafayette.
    Hotfarmboy1, YOU have met me! I'm the one that bought your Mossy 20ga.

Yeah I remember you, lol. I just thought that maybe Kokomo wouldn't be too bad of a drive for you. :):

Plus I never heard of that place in W. Laf

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yeah I remember you, lol. I just thought that maybe Kokomo wouldn't be too bad of a drive for you. :):

Plus I never heard of that place in W. Laf
    It is actually the FIRST Drive-In restaurant in the state of Indiana! Opened in 1929 by Burt Wright as nothing but a root-beer stand.
    It is now THE place to be seen after a Purdue football game, IF you're a Sorority girl, or a Frat boy!
    It was also featured about a year ago on the food channel's "Drive-Ins, Diners, and Dives"

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    hmm I guess you learn something new every day! :dunno:

I still would of loved one of my old bosses to ask me to do something like that. That would of been cool as heck!! :rockwoot:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Didn't get paid for it, but I did get to go shoot some stuff under the pretense of materials testing for a .mil project once. A buddy of mine was working on a vehicle design, which featured components constructed from some kind of high-strength polymer. His bosses wanted to know how the material would hold up to common small-arms threats at short to medium distances. He called me. "Hey, you wanna get a bunch of guns and go shoot some components for [vehicle name]?" Like, duh. ;)

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Didn't get paid for it, but I did get to go shoot some stuff under the pretense of materials testing for a .mil project once. A buddy of mine was working on a vehicle design, which featured components constructed from some kind of high-strength polymer. His bosses wanted to know how the material would hold up to common small-arms threats at short to medium distances. He called me. "Hey, you wanna get a bunch of guns and go shoot some components for [vehicle name]?" Like, duh. ;)

I've gotten to do something similar. A friend of mine is in the Air Force now and he got ahold of some 1" thick "bulletproof" glass they were testing and let me give it a try. Reg 22 and 45 didnt' make it through of course. 22 hornet made it through at around 25 yards, then I set it up for my M44 and of course it made it through like a hot knife through butter. :D I took it back to him to show his boss, and when his boss asked what I shot it with since nothing else had made it through so far till that point, he just kinda said, well "dang" (insert more colorful word here) back to the drawing board. :):

headhunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Columbia City
    My first "job" growing up was killing ground squirrels (chipmunks), woodchucks and rabbits for my Dad and the neighbors. I got a bounty of $1 per critter. Started out with my BB gun, then moved up to a 10/22 when I had the money. Did this from age 12 to 18, then they stopping paying and I did it for free. :draw:

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My first "job" growing up was killing ground squirrels (chipmunks), woodchucks and rabbits for my Dad and the neighbors. I got a bounty of $1 per critter. Started out with my BB gun, then moved up to a 10/22 when I had the money. Did this from age 12 to 18, then they stopping paying and I did it for free. :draw:

Headhunter, you need to find a real career doing this...and I'll be your assistant :D

Top Bottom