• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Oh. Taxpayers might be interested in learning the costs of litigating this mess. Why wouldn't the paper investigate? Seems like a simple matter to research, and if I were a voter there I'd be curious.

On the other hand, if E-ville is anything like Lafayette, I'm sure there is a Confederate flag in someone's window that deserves front page coverage.

Well, sure many taxpayers would be interested. However, a newspaper that would call out a local government for spending too much to keep nasty guns away from children would be unique indeed.

IMHO- if we are going to find out what kind of coin has been spent, it will take Joe interested taxpayer to make the information request.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Let's see now 4 years at about 5-40 bailable hours a month @ $ per billable hour times three for punitive damages= a bunch.

IC 35-47-11.1-7
    Civil actions; recovery of damages, costs, and fees
    Sec. 7. A prevailing plaintiff in an action under section 5 of this
    chapter is entitled to recover from the political subdivision the
    following:
    (1) The greater of the following:
    (A) Actual damages, including consequential damages.
    (B) Liquidated damages of three (3) times the plaintiff's
    attorney's fees.
    (2) Court costs (including fees).
    (3) Reasonable attorney's fees.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Assuming the local paper will unearth this inconvenient truth.

That seems like an odd assumption to make. Why would they?

How soon until we get the whole story?

Well, sure many taxpayers would be interested. However, a newspaper that would call out a local government for spending too much to keep nasty guns away from children would be unique indeed.

IMHO- if we are going to find out what kind of coin has been spent, it will take Joe interested taxpayer to make the information request.

I feel that I can say with certainty that the Courier-Press will NOT crawl out from under the mayor's desk long enough to report any such thing. If it is mentioned, it will most likely be from the vein of screaming about what an antisocial individual Ben is for having the audacity to expect the city to actually bother following the law.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Isn't it amazing how much of a person's time and/or life can be wasted by government and its parliamentary tricks?

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Keep up the excellent work, Guy.

Looks like the city's attorneys got a smack down. "City makes no mention of Magenheimer I in its lead brief, it makes no argument that “extraordinary circumstances” exist that would justify deviating from our usual rule that a prior opinion from this court on the same issue is entitled to preclusive effect.

In sum, the City’s arguments in this second interlocutory appeal were considered and rejected in Magenheimer I . That opinion is entitled to preclusive effect, and the City makes no argument to the contrary in the instant appeal. "

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow.

That's a slam down, complete with a rebuke of the attorneys for not even mentioning the first appeal.

Boom. Shaaka. Laaka.

I had a case in front of Heldt WAY back in the day - I think he was fairly new to the bench, too. Kinda surprised he even certified that for interloc, and that the court accepted it. Shouldn't be anything standing in the way of trial now, other than settlement.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hopefully when the taxpayers of Evansville have to start feeling the effects of the eventual settlement, it might motivate them to be very careful when they vote.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It seems like they are determined to just drag this thing out. Seems like someone should be paying costs for all this...

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    It seems like they are determined to just drag this thing out. Seems like someone should be paying costs for all this...

Wouldnt be the first time a lawsuit was dragged out until one party was bankrupted by mounting costs and gave in to make it all "go away".

Top Bottom