Evan Bayh for Governor? Or for President?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Has anyone considered the possibility that this guy doesn't want to do politics anymore because he is sick of it? I understand that no one likes or trusts the guy on this board. That's cool. But, have you considered that what he said during his news conference might actually be the truth?

Yes, if he was an honest standup guy I'd consider it, rather than the low-down, thieving lying scoundrel that he is.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Do you know the 1st warning of a sinking ship?
    It's when the RATs begin to jump ship.
    Rats+jumping+ship.jpg

Yes we should be happy that we are finally getting rid of 1 of our 2 worthless Senators. But at the same time you should begin to worry as well.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Anyone know the laws around campaign donations? I.e. can Bayh actually pocket the $$$, or does it have to be spent on a campaign for office?

While I may not agree with all of his decisions, votes, and comments, I will give him the respect that is due. If he really is sick of it and wants to do something else, good for him and his family. I'm glad he decided to retire rather than continue to be disgruntled and make even worse decisions.

If he's doing the old "I'm not interested in the Presidency/another office" gag so many people seem to do, just like so many coaches say "I'm not interested in going to school / team X" right before they are named team X's coach, than so be it. I'd have to think that just by running against Obama it would be a pretty good chink in his armor.

My bet is that he'll surface in the not too distant future in some sort of very influential position, even if not directly involved with elected office. I'm sure part of the overal plan for the Democrats is to spread their influence through other NGO's to continue to build a voter base. They've seen very clearly that trying to get a monopoly of elected power hasn't been a success, so they're going to figure out how to get more power elsewhere. He did mention he was interested in being an executive and leading a university, charity, etc.

I think it will be one of those "Stay tuned" situations, and we won't see the last of him.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I hope we don't hear a peep from him from now on. However, I've been hearing his name a LOT in the national news channels. He's been making a name for himself since he was considered for VP in 2008. My money's on him going for POTUS or VPOTUS. I honestly don't believe he means what he says anymore.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Anyone know the laws around campaign donations? I.e. can Bayh actually pocket the $$$, or does it have to be spent on a campaign for office?

When my mom ran for local office many moons ago I recall that at the end of the campaign (she did not win) she had to a) pay off any debt the campain might have incurred and then the rest she had to donate (to non-profits/charities) before closing the 'bank account" for the campaign. So me thinks he can not get pocket the money and leave. :dunno:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    When my mom ran for local office many moons ago I recall that at the end of the campaign (she did not win) she had to a) pay off any debt the campain might have incurred and then the rest she had to donate (to non-profits/charities) before closing the 'bank account" for the campaign. So me thinks he can not get pocket the money and leave. :dunno:

He said he was going to run a non-profit charity. The money will just move from one account to another.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    He cannot pocket the cash - has to be used for campaigns, else it's moot and non-existent with regard to personal wealth. Illegal to use campaign finances as personal wealth, period. AFAIK, candidates even have to raise separate monies for primaries/general elections.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    My guess is that Bayh will either get a nice .gov appointment (Czar, Ambassador) or will become a pundit. If he signs on with something that will give him the right coverage he may re-emerge later for a bid to higher office. I just hope he doesn't come back to Indiana.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    He can alway do what Lee Hamilton did, join a think tank, write books, go on radio, go on television, start a column in newspapers and still be on the 'guvmint teat. The think tank that Hamilton is on, got a $10,000,000.00 grant in the Federal Budget for operating purposes. Sweet 'aint it?

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Right now I think that is all just conjecture. However I wouldn't be surprised if this is a calculated move toward that end. In theory he could save his head by stepping back and avoiding the fallout that is about to hit DC. And then in a few years, "Feel compelled to come out of retirement to help the people."

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    When you say "Us" who do you mean? Are we going to make INGO a political action group? I am not opposed to that idea, however there are several very differing political stances existing on this board.

Don't assume that the majority on here agree with your political stances. While there are very few pro-gun Dems here, there are plenty of Libertarians, Constitutional Conservatives, Party line towing GOPers, Republicans, AnachroCapitalists, and RINO's here.

For the most part we all chose our battles and there isn't a whole lot of argument, however you can see the undercurrents at times very clearly. It would be very difficult to get INGO to agree on any issues other than Bacon and Guns are good.

Now if a political action group were to come around that was mainly made up of INGOers in good standing that would be willing to look at the gun policies of candidates, then you might have something. However I feel that the Mods and Admins might not really want a direct association, and might just nix any attempt to form anything like that on these pages.

Top Bottom